Halloween In My Closet: Wholesome Schoolgirl

by jennine on October 29, 2009

wholesome schoolgirl

Halloween is only days away, yet putting together a costume at the very last minute has never, ever been a deterrent for doing something great. Here is the first of my 3rd annual Halloween in My Closet Series … this time around, I asked you what you wanted to see, and my job is to rise to the challenge!

‘Wholesome’ School Girl

Audrey_Horne_seated_in_deskIn the submissions post, a lot of you suggested school related-teen costumes, a 1950′s Majorette from mary jane, Claudia from The Babysitters Club & Lila Fowler from Sweet Valley High from Midnight Cowgirl, and a schoolgirl from Eyeliah. Now, many of you would think that it’s a good idea to be a slutty school girl… but I think that’s for actual schoolgirls, and kind of unnerving for someone my age to try to attempt, not that there is anything wrong with being slutty (whatever that means) but looking slutty? That’s where I draw the line. ;)

I’ve decided to go the more wholesome route, because personally, I feel that that’s even more of a costume than any of the sinister ones out there. Luckily I found this vintage letterman cardigan in a thrift store for about $5 which pulls the costume together. A pleated skirt with a button down shirt are also essential, and it helps if one of those items is plaid. I’ve also got a pair of knee high socks with Mary Janes, and I just love them, and they match, so maybe the little red pumps add a little edge, but it also depends on your overall manner. As a brunette with a sneaky smile I probably come off more of an Audrey from Twin Peaks type, who isn’t wholesome at all.

Well, there goes the ‘wholesome.’

It’s important with costumes to have props, even though they may get lost at whatever event you’re going to, here I have just a plain brown bag and a random book on our bookshelf.
IMG_0264IMG_0276
Costume:Letterman Cardigan, thrifted • Blouse, Francis • Skirt, Vince • Wool socks, H&M • Shoes, Market Publique

Do you have any requests?

Let me know what you wanted to see, leave a comment here

Audrey image via Come Spy With Me

Kate October 29, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Love, love, love this costume! That letterman jacket was a real find for only $5. Happy Halloween!
.-= Kate´s last blog ..A Little Inspiration =-.

Ashe Mischief October 29, 2009 at 1:45 pm

You’re so cute! Compared to how you typically dress, there’s something so youthful and playful about this costume. (Though add in some textured tights, take the hair out of the ponytail, and maybe wear the cardigan upside down, and I think we’d still have a regular Jennine outfit in the making…..)
.-= Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..TiLT: Things I Love Thursday [October] =-.

Sara October 29, 2009 at 2:05 pm

more reasons to love you! stop being so cute already… ;)

THE SHOE GIRL October 29, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Oh my. So cute!

Hannele October 29, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I love it!
I’m still thinking about how I’m going to pull off “zombie” with what I have ;D
.-= Hannele´s last blog ..Touchdown =-.

WendyB October 29, 2009 at 3:07 pm

ADORABLE! So glad you are doing these posts. I should have had you come look through my closet for costume potential.
.-= WendyB´s last blog ..The Eyebrows Have It =-.

Fenke October 29, 2009 at 3:24 pm

cute. not slutty, but in all its naivety still kind of sexy.

oh, and… scandinavian design: great book ;-)
.-= Fenke´s last blog ..“No Sex, please!”…”Eh, okay!” =-.

Clare October 29, 2009 at 3:38 pm

This is adorable, Jennine! I love that that fab cardigan made it into your Halloween ideas. What a find that was!

SwanDiamondRose October 29, 2009 at 3:43 pm

oh my god that cardigan is amazing!!!!!!! great costume. you are very convincing as a schoolgirl. what does it mean?
.-= SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..girl in skyscraper with computer and flying needle in the clouds =-.

eyeliah October 29, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Yes - adorable as wholesome. I think I have the clothes to do this look too! I am so stocked you went with part of my idea. :-) You have been such a great supporter of my new project and I really appreciate it, thanks so much for linking The Eyeline today.
.-= eyeliah´s last blog ..Jefe =-.

Katie October 29, 2009 at 4:49 pm

haha! LOVE it! anyone who cites the BSC as a inspiration is aces in my book <3
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Fright Night =-.

K-Line October 29, 2009 at 5:35 pm

OK never mind costume. This is fabulous every day wear!!!
.-= K-Line´s last blog ..Sew Excellent =-.

Mary @ StyleFyles October 29, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Awww that costume was cute. I love that you’ve found a way to be cute WITH coverage!

Nickie Frye October 29, 2009 at 7:54 pm

What a cute idea. The lunch bag makes it, for sure! Brilliant. And that was a super score on the letterman’s sweater. I’m a vintage dealer & I keep my prices really REALLY low. Even I would’ve charged more for that piece. Well done!
.-= Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Breastplate =-.

queengilda October 29, 2009 at 9:03 pm

hello hot mama.
.-= queengilda´s last blog ..thesis collection: sketching, fabric choices, and final edits =-.

ClandestineChic October 29, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Love the cardigan and the entire outfit. The props just pull the entire look together, along with the side ponytail. Very cute and creative for Halloween.
.-= ClandestineChic´s last blog ..I Like Her Style =-.

jennine October 29, 2009 at 9:54 pm

oh my goodness! thank you so much for all the lovely comments!
❤ kate…the best find in a long time!
❤ ashe..hahah, you could be on to something there, i did wear it most of the day!
❤ hanele, hahha just add white makeup and black out your eyes! easy!
❤ fenke… it IS a good book! leave it to you to be the only one who recognized it!
❤ swan..hehe i have no idea!
❤ eyeliah..i bet you do!
❤ kline..heheh
❤ nikcie, ooh i’ll have to check that out, but yeah, it’s a thrift find, so that’s why it was so cheap.
❤ clandestine..oh yes, props are everything!

Le Petite Cecile October 30, 2009 at 12:10 am

Love the Preppy Chic on you, so cute!

I am totally thinking on Amelia Earhart because I love her style: the leather jacket, the tight pants, the boots.

Looking foward to see you in more costumes!

XOXO

Anne-So October 30, 2009 at 3:40 am

I’m definitely in love with this costume. The cardigan, especially, is very, very pretty :)
.-= Anne-So´s last blog ..La disparition =-.

Pipuchi October 30, 2009 at 5:36 am

That’s simply perfect! I really love your costume…

Sally October 30, 2009 at 6:28 am

You look phenomenal, lady! And how great that the pieces were already in your closet.
.-= Sally´s last blog ..Winter Fitness Cheat Sheet =-.

Midnight Cowgirl October 30, 2009 at 10:07 am

I love this! Especially that letterman cardigan.
.-= Midnight Cowgirl´s last blog ..Links a La Mode: The Independent Fashion Bloggers Roundup =-.

Chessa! October 31, 2009 at 11:21 am

you look so sweet! I love this “costume” - all of these pieces are gorgeous and would love to have any of them! I feel like all I see women wearing for Halloween are slutty witches and slutty nurses and slutty cat costumes.
.-= Chessa!´s last blog ..I Love Fashion…Photography =-.

Market Publique November 1, 2009 at 4:17 pm

So cute! You definitely look wholesome. Plus, these days, slutty schoolgirls just end up looking like a Britney Spears music video rerun - so wholesome is much better, I would have to agree.

I’m so glad your Halloween In My Closet series continues!!
.-= Market Publique´s last blog ..Traci’s Take on Halloween Haute Couture =-.

{ 4 trackbacks }