Halloween In My Closet : Breakfast at Tiffany’s

by jennine on October 31, 2009

Did you wait until the very, very, very last minute to decide to get dressed for Halloween? Great! I do that all the time. Whatever you do, don’t cut holes in your sheets and be a ghost, sheets are expensive! Well for some of you getting ready for Halloween right as we speak, I have the NEVER FAIL costume for you. Here is one that is just a spin off of my 60’s Housewife costume…all you need is a little black dress, pearls, sunglasses, a takeaway coffee cup and paper bag. Bonus points if you have opera gloves and a tiara. Here is the last minute segment of Halloween in My Closet Series

Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany’s

When I asked you what you wanted to see… Hoopy Chick suggested a 1960′s starlet, and where I could be a generic starlet, I decided to go with one of the few icons with my coloring (they all seem to be blond!!) Besides I was probably looking for another excuse to put my hair up in a beehive! Strangely enough, I have never ever done an Audrey costume, and I resisted watching Breakfast at Tiffany’s until about five years ago. Am I the only person who thinks Holly Golightly is massively desperate and sad? Actually, that makes me love the movie even more. If it were just a soppy movie with a beautiful Audrey, I would probably hate the movie. Kind of like how I love Martha Stewart ever since she went to prison (and I’m just waiting for her to come out of the closet…then she’ll be my hero!)

However, before I digress into a whole slew of things that are supposed to be merely fluff but have secret dark side to them… the Audrey costume is probably one of those which you can pull off without much effort. I must be feeling the paper bags here, because it’s the second time it’s appeared as a prop, only there’s no croissant in it…

bat2If you’re still looking for costumes, don’t try to put something together at the costume shop… I have a bunch of costumes you can do with things you probably already own!

Holly Golightly, Beetlejuice, Wholesome Schoolgirl, Sailor, Can-Can Girl, Circus Ringleader, 60’s Housewife, Natasha from Bullwinkle & Friends, Cat Lady, Superhero and a Retro Flight Attendant.

WendyB October 31, 2009 at 2:29 pm

LOL at “sheets are expensive.” Yes, don’t be like Charlie Brown and wind up with lots of holes in your sheets. You look fabulous. I especially like the hair.
.-= WendyB´s last blog ..L’Chaim =-.

Cath October 31, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Just perfect. Right down to the cup, paper bag and the hair! Love it.
.-= Cath´s last blog ..Piano Heels =-.

Ashe Mischief October 31, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Sheets ARE expensive! Also, Breakfast at Tiffany’s is very desperate and sad…the book is even moreso, which is probably why it’s so good. (Now I want to read it; I have no idea if I still have it or not, or where it’d be packed if I did….)
.-= Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..IFB Presents: Links a la Mode =-.

Roman October 31, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Wow - leaves me speechless. Next time you come to Berlin don’t forget to bring this outfit for some real highlight at our Fashion Week!

Jeanne October 31, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Wonderful! Your hair is awesome! I also love the tiara — everyone needs one.

My out-of-the-closet costume for today was a ballerina — black leotard, pink dance tights, black ruffly tutu skirt. I have another costume for tonight, but how could I resist wearing a full ballerina outfit to ballet class?

Sandra @ DebutanteClothing October 31, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I looove this! You look so cute.
WendyB - I actually thought of just going as Charlie Brown in the Great Pumpkin. LOL.

Poochie October 31, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Good ideas. That is why a tiara in any size is such a necessary accessory. So many ways you can wear them (in addition to day to day wear, of course). We went as a medieval couple but that is because we are huge nerds and bought outfits at a Renn Festival a few years ago. Now I know what I have to be for the rest of my life.

jennine October 31, 2009 at 3:45 pm

❤ wendy…omg i’m like an old lady! or maybe i just spend too much on sheets…. still saving up for 600thread count!
❤cath…thanks my dear! though i miss the greek pattern cups you can only get in new york…
❤ ashe.. i’m so glad you think so… i felt like an ass one day when everyone at lunch was saying how they wanted to be like holly golightly… i was like… what? did you SEE the movie? READ the book? do you know anything?
❤roman…hahah do you think they’ll allow me in the photo pit like that?
❤jeanne…YES! we must all have tiaras! just for you know…hanging around the house…
❤sandra…haha you can do better! i know it!
❤poochie, i can only imagine you in a tiara at the office! or maybe on the city council! amazing! and i love how you have a renaisance costume, that’s the best!

Ashe Mischief October 31, 2009 at 4:29 pm

LOL. It’s true… I think there are aspects of her I do like or would like to be like (her unending optimism and independence), but she’s definitely a complex character… and I don’t think you really, definitely know how dark her past is when you read the book…. I think so many girls watch it when they’re young though (myself included), and it’s just romantic & she’s just eccentric and beautiful….
.-= Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..IFB Presents: Links a la Mode =-.

Crisis in Denim October 31, 2009 at 6:55 pm

I love that you’ve updated the look with the Starbucks cup! Otherwise, I seriously would never have known this was shot now. A subtle detail, and the look is gorgeous.

Aja October 31, 2009 at 7:45 pm

I did this one year. It works really well, doesn’t it?

Misss Glitzy [from Singapore!] November 1, 2009 at 12:16 am

This is so smart, Jennine!
It’s always a headache for me when it comes to Halloween costumes… especially when there’s a particular theme.

But your Audrey Hepburn idea is just great! And you look fabulous!
.-= Misss Glitzy [from Singapore!]´s last blog ..Cookyn up a storm with Mervyn =-.

kirsten November 1, 2009 at 1:54 am

awww you look SO cute!!

{uninhibited fashion}

Make Do Style November 1, 2009 at 7:46 am

Great series and fab finale!
.-= Make Do Style´s last blog ..Starting afresh =-.

Lala November 1, 2009 at 11:03 am

You make a wonderful Holly Golightly. Great look & costume ;)
.-= Lala´s last blog ..Happy Halloween! =-.

Ashe Mischief November 1, 2009 at 12:07 pm

One for next year… Rogue from X-Men! Jordana as Storm reminded me of it….you can add a silver streak to your dark hair..
.-= Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..IFB Presents: Links a la Mode =-.

sher November 1, 2009 at 4:15 pm

You out do your self every day. Your hair was fabulous!

Market Publique November 1, 2009 at 4:19 pm

My fave! Although I try to take style from Holly everyday, not just for Halloween! Now if only I could find a vintage 60s coat just like hers…
.-= Market Publique´s last blog ..Traci’s Take on Halloween Haute Couture =-.

UnoCosa November 1, 2009 at 5:20 pm

oh!!! i adore this look on you - very 50′s glam …. and with those glasses …. fantastic!!! xx
.-= UnoCosa´s last blog ..HALLOWEEN: LET THE IMAGINATION FLYING HIGH =-.

jennine November 1, 2009 at 5:33 pm

❤ashe..ooh eccentric and beauty go a long way with impressionable young women! but yeah, i should read the book!
❤crisis, haha god bless starbucks
❤aja, it absolutely works!
❤miss glitzy…halloween costumes can be fun, they just take practice, and i have a lot of years of that!
❤ashe…ooooh i love xmen!
❤sher…i LOVE beehives, must wear them more often!
❤market…hahah i can totally see that! you need a vintage leopard print coat!
❤unocosa…thanks 50′s 60s are my favorites…

K-Line November 1, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Ooooh, this is AWESOME! Your hair really does it.
.-= K-Line´s last blog ..All Wrapped Up =-.

fashion therapist November 1, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Those shoes are quite amazing!

Stella November 2, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Oh, fantastic putting together of this look! People have dressed up as Audrey, but I love your take and execution most!

Lea November 3, 2009 at 3:21 am

It’s such an iconic look and you pull it off well. Whenever i wear my LBD i always wear a beehive - trying to be Audrey in day to day situations!

Goody November 3, 2009 at 10:46 am

So simple, so perfect.

Breakfast at Tiffany remains in the top 5 of my always on rotate movies!
.-= Goody´s last blog ..Curvatude Fab Five - Etsy Fav’s =-.

Tina August 7, 2010 at 2:39 am

Well done right down to the awesome jewelry and the crown in the hair!
.-= Tina´s last blog ..Peacock Eye Makeup =-.

{ 3 trackbacks }

• Halloween’s Hangover « Le Petite Cecile - Fashion, Style & Trends
  • Halloween outfits from my favorite fashion blogs » Fashion Collected Daily at Fashion Luvr
  • Having Breakfast at Tiffany’s