Road Warriors

by jennine on November 12, 2009

road warrior

I have never in my entire life liked anything about Mel Gibson, but for some strange reason, we were watching Mad Max 2 : The Road Warrior the other day. I don’t know why!

Cinematically the movie was entertaining in a cheesy way, provided you didn’t think ‘if gasoline was in such short supply why do they keep driving around in such gas guzzlers?’ Full of holes, I tell you, full-of-holes.  And like many cheesy science fiction movies, where they lack in plot make up for themselves in costume design. In the random female character (I’m sorry, I can’t bring myself to post an actual screen shot of Mel) played by Virgina Hey,  Not that I would ever try to re-create this look… but I did like the sports-gear costume design, particularly paired with chunky knits and studs. There really isn’t anything new under the sun, is there?

What cheesy science fiction movies do you find to have surprisingly inspiring costume design?

...love Maegan November 12, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I remember watching Mad Max for the first time in my early twenties …screaming at the movie ‘OH SURE, IT’S THE END OF THE WORLD BUT SOME HOW THEY STILL HAVE CRIMPING IRONS’ …lol. ..but I was in love with the costume design. In fact, I hated the movie and just focused on what they were wearing.

Sans football pads, I’d totally wear that.
…love Maegan´s last blog ..Completely Gratuitous Outfit Post My ComLuv Profile

Coco March 22, 2010 at 9:37 am

Funny, I was watching road warrior last night and when I saw Virginia Hey, I said exactly the same thing. “How do they manage to crimp her hair when there’s like, no electricity?” and “I would totally wear that, but without the football pads!” I think that the costume designer for this movie, whoever he/she was, had great vision…a lot of those outfits look clean and timeless even though this was made in the 80’s. I think that might be part of the Australian aesthetic….they just manage to look and dress really cool!

Ok…the only thing I have a beef about is her eyebrows…I don’t think I’ll be shaving mine into Nike checkmarks anytime soon.

Imelda Matt November 12, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Ever since I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW5D66rhh2k the Road Warrior has taken on a new meaning.
Imelda Matt´s last blog ..LMFF PRIORITIZE THE OH-SO FASHIONABLE SOCIAL MEDIA SET My ComLuv Profile

jennine November 12, 2009 at 1:12 pm

❤ maegan… it’s so good to know they’ll have crimping irons in post apocalyptic times.
❤ imelda…. ever since i saw that clip, i don’t think my LIFE will ever be the same.

Alicia November 12, 2009 at 2:16 pm

BLADE.RUNNER.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§ November 12, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Mad Max is good for fashion, (don’t forget Tina in Beyond Thunderdome!)
But DUNE rules!

Stephanie November 12, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I love “The Road Warrior,” though, realistically when Mel Gibson wanders around in leather, it would be too hot in the desert…
Stephanie´s last blog ..link: This Just in From the 1890s My ComLuv Profile

jennine November 12, 2009 at 2:54 pm

❤ alicia..oh blade runner is a classic@
❤ sss… oh my, i haven’t seen dune since the 80’s… i’ll have to check it out again!
❤ stephanie, i’ve always wondered why people wear leather in hot places, it’s crazy!

dana November 12, 2009 at 2:59 pm

BLADERUNNER. 1940’s meets futuristic awesomeness.

violetville November 12, 2009 at 3:00 pm

2001…a space odyssey! maybe not so cheesy…

does david bowie’s ziggy stardust movie count? it’s a concert, but still…very inspiring fashion-wise!
violetville´s last blog ..SPANISH LEATHER! Vtg 70s BROWN MOD SPY COAT/JACKET~S/M My ComLuv Profile

Peldyn November 12, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Dune and Blade Runner both had amazing fashions, but Blade Runner is the most wearable in real life.
Peldyn´s last blog ..I See Red My ComLuv Profile

enc November 12, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I liked her character and the character’s look. That movie is epic for so many reasons.

Let’s ask the question we all want answered: How on earth did she keep that cream sweater clean?
enc´s last blog ..Poll #52: Yes, No, or Maybe? My ComLuv Profile

eyeliah November 12, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Outlander had some good Viking style, long hair on the dudes, lots of fur. Star Trek (2009) also.
eyeliah´s last blog ..All Your Lovers Revenge My ComLuv Profile

Ashe Mischief November 12, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Though I don’t think the fashion is always QUITE as innovative, I really, REALLY love the looks from Cherry 2000. Maybe it’s because I’ve always wanted to be Melanie Griffith’s character & have that flaming red hair… (it’s always hard for me to find stills from that film, too!)
Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..We Love Colors: A Snapshot Review My ComLuv Profile

kievka November 12, 2009 at 8:39 pm

No kidding, I think just about every classic sci-fi movie has great fashion. I’m a film student, who hates science fiction, so when sci-fi projects are assigned, I watch 1950s-60s ones for the stylistic content, like The Day the Earth Stood Still, Barbarella, or the most inspiring: Forbidden Planet.

Otherwise, the film must be extremely low-brow-as in crowd-pleasing- (like Mad Max), Planet of the Apes, or The 5th Element. On the other hand restrained and intellectual classics, like Lang’s Metropolis, produce some great looks too, but usually leave middlebrow, culty Star Wars, Star Trek, and most Alien/Terminator things alone. Though Linda Hamilton’s glasses in Terminator are pretty great, of course.

jennine November 12, 2009 at 9:25 pm

❤violettville…if i can stay awake through 2001! it does look cool the portions i saw,but ziggy stardust, i need to see that!
❤enc…that’s a good question!
❤eyeliah, oooh i never saw outlander!
❤ashe.. CHERRY 2000!!!?! i’ve never even heard of that one!
❤kievka, yeah, i’d have to agree with you that most sci fi films don’t really engage intellectual thought, but there are a few good ones, unfortunately it’s far and few between.

Nickie Frye November 13, 2009 at 9:51 am

Star Wars! That gun holster/belt thing that Hahn Solo wears w/ the strap around the leg is HOT (trying to keep it clean here). heehee!
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Vintage Jumper My ComLuv Profile

SwanDiamondRose November 17, 2009 at 1:44 pm

zardoz. have you seen it? charlotte rampling is incredible. there are these odd, languid, hippie-ish costumes in it, not to mention sean connery in a loincloth?
SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..SWANclothing sock garters… 1st stop Helsinki… [2] My ComLuv Profile

Stephanie November 17, 2009 at 1:52 pm

haha yes i’ve seen that! the costumes are definitely odd.
Stephanie´s last blog ..Hello, Los Angeles. This bed is so comfy! Can I sleep in a king… My ComLuv Profile