Sponsored Post : Century 21 Shopping & Video!

by jennine on November 24, 2009

pucci sequins

Ever since I began shopping, I’ve had a love affair with discount department stores. It started with Ross, I’ve made my rounds with all the other nation-wide chains, and none of them are quite like Century 21. My first visit happened when I first moved to New York in the mid-90′s, my friend had told me about this amazing discount store (she’s a real bargain hunter) and she just raved about it. I quickly fell in love with the store, and even though I didn’t stay in New York, Century 21 became a ‘must do’ for every time I visited thereafter. My most notable purchases were in 2002, I had to fight a woman for a pair of Michele Perry purple leather boots for $90 (which I sadly sold for the move to Germany) and a Calvin Klein tweed blazer for $25 back in February.

When asked to do a sponsored post, I couldn’t say no… I genuinely love browsing around the designer section, which is unlike anything I’ve ever seen anywhere. Since I spend a lot of time online looking at designer clothing, going to the boutiques can be cool, but there’s often a pressure to buy. I don’t feel that way, and it’s really nice, because I can try on things that I wouldn’t normally have access to and usually I find something I can fall in love with.

This video was produced by Style Coalition and sponsored by Century 21.

(Thank you YouTube for picking a flattering still)

The video is actually really well done, considering, I don’t do well in front of a video camera… especially one with a giant light, where either tend to stare like a drunk driver into a cop’s mag-lite, or avoid eye contact with the camera all together. Woops.

On the day we shot the video, the other bloggers taking part in this campaign My It Things,  Style Observer, Second City Style and Style Bakery all met up at the shop. I had arrived the day earlier to scope out the inventory and check out what I wanted to talk about. Of course, my mind went wild with possibilities, and I figured, when else am I going to wear a Pucci dress with Rick Owens leggings and Chloe booties? Though I wish I had better photos of my outfit… then again, that’s how it often works when I’m out and about. But all in all it was also great to catch a glimpse of some things I’ve seen online, like the Prada lace, a silver brocade Pucci puffer coat, Marc Jacobs booties with neon heels. To tell the truth, choosing just one outfit was definitely a challenge…

katja November 24, 2009 at 11:03 am

the video is so cool. i love the outfit you have chosen. you have great styling skills :)
.-= katja´s last blog ..Seeing red =-.

dwj November 24, 2009 at 11:07 am

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, when I grow up I want to be a blogger just like you Jennine! The video is great, it looks like so much fun!
.-= dwj´s last blog ..Contest Reminders! =-.

Solanah November 24, 2009 at 11:22 am

Century 21 is the best! When I get back to New York, that will be my first stop ;)
.-= Solanah´s last blog ..Elementary my dear Watson… =-.

amanda November 24, 2009 at 11:22 am

woah!! i wonder if the MJ booties are still there. any idea how much they were?
.-= amanda´s last blog ..Skirting the Issue =-.

jennine November 24, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Ohh, there were a few pairs left, but none were in my size.. I think they were in the neighborhood of $200…

Jillian November 24, 2009 at 11:25 am

that really is a flattering still holy crap that never happens!

<3 u look fantastic!
.-= Jillian´s last blog ..La Vie En Rose =-.

Yuli November 24, 2009 at 11:55 am

oh LOVE your photos from the shoot! aww we had so much fun, wish we could do it every day ;)

jennine November 24, 2009 at 12:37 pm

well thank you so much for inviting me! it WAS fun!

Andrea November 24, 2009 at 11:59 am

Wow, what a fun experience! You look amazing - love the outfit you picked out :) Will have to check out Centrury 21 next time I’m in NYC.
.-= Andrea´s last blog ..How to Shop for Thigh-High Boots =-.

Michael Pratt November 24, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Your vid turned out great, Jennine and I love the use of the images below the post. Well Done.

Alicia November 24, 2009 at 12:02 pm

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!

Sabrina Krejci November 24, 2009 at 12:47 pm

You did a great job in the video!!!! Love the outfit you picked out. Wish they had a Century 21 in Chicago

jennine November 24, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Meee too. ;)

Midtown Girl November 24, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Century 21 was a daily stop for me when I used to work across the street at 1 Liberty plaza. The crowds were sometimes overwhelming, but early in the days worked like a charm!

An awesome collaboration Jennine!

PS - Congrats X 100 to Rocky for winning the Designboom Green Life Award!!!

XOXO
Amy
.-= Midtown Girl´s last blog ..MG Closet: The Year in Pink =-.

jennine November 24, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Oh my goodness… I used to work over by Church and Broadway… and would go in on a daily basis too! You’re right about going early, the crowds do get overwhelming. Yikes.

Sheena November 24, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Love the pieces you chose for your outfit, especially the Rick Owens leggings. Century 21 is one of those stores that I dream of going to whenever I think of ever visiting New York. It’s like, Century 21 would definitely be on my list as a “tourist destination” :)
.-= Sheena´s last blog ..Inspiring Friends =-.

jennine November 24, 2009 at 5:50 pm

oh yes, i would definitely do that… it can be a bit touristy, but there’s still things you won’t find any place else. (well, maybe on ebay)

alix November 24, 2009 at 3:21 pm

J- I really enjoyed the video, you did a great job and as a girl who has never been to Century, I totally want to go next time am in New York!
I love the Pucci dress!

Also I echo Midtown Girl -Awesome Congrats to Rocky for winning the Designboom Green Life Award!!!

jennine November 24, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Thanks so much!
And I’ll pass the word on to Rocky!

SwanDiamondRose November 24, 2009 at 3:53 pm

oh man, that store! i used to live right nearby. and when i first moved to ny i would go there all the time, and yes, early. i certainly learned about being a bit more aggressive in my shopping style. i couldn’t believe the designers they had there. like actually could not believe it. i would keep looking at these Dolce & Gabbana boots for instance. otk, and fringes all over. are these for real? yup. and when i was hooked on helmut lang denim. hehe. i got my fix there. helmut lang denim! still have them. this was pre Rick Owens. lucky you!
.-= SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..wearable wireframe bird by polyscene [2] =-.

jennine November 24, 2009 at 5:52 pm

oh my goodness, helmut lang denim! had a pair of black silk denim jeans..but what did i do? when the high waist went out of style, i sold them. such an idiot. but yeah, i still can’t believe some of the designers..like they even had gareth pugh…unbelievable.

Leia November 24, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I think you are great on camera! I love your final outfit, especially the dress and the leaf booties. It looks like a great place, I wish I could visit and explore it! :)
.-= Leia´s last blog ..Motel Christmas Collection =-.

jennine November 24, 2009 at 5:53 pm

oh thank you…it really does mean alot because i get self conscious about several things on video. it’s not as forgivable as still photography!

The Clothes Horse November 24, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Ooh, I never managed to make it there whenever I was in NYC, but I always hear that Century 21 is amazing. Love the pieces you pulled, especially those shoes!
.-= The Clothes Horse´s last blog ..Tuesday Escapism =-.

jennine November 24, 2009 at 5:53 pm

You would love it. :)

Lucy November 24, 2009 at 6:02 pm

oh my goodness those Chloe heels!!!! I definitely need to go to Century 21 once I go to New York…whenever that will be!
.-= Lucy´s last blog ..Daul Kim - An Unforgettable Personality =-.

UnoCosa November 24, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Century 21 is absolutely my favorite shopping spot …. and you did such a great video segment :D !

xx
.-= UnoCosa´s last blog ..THE BOOK OF ENLIGHTENMENT =-.

WendyB November 25, 2009 at 8:24 am

You’re great on video! And I loved the outfits you put together. Also liked that I got a preview of your choices that day at my apartment.
.-= WendyB´s last blog ..The Committee to Protect Journalists Dinner =-.

dora November 25, 2009 at 9:18 am

love the video & the photos you put together. especially the one you chose for the main pic, the one of the sequined dresses, it portrays a nice & almost nostalgic atmosphere. i wish i could do some discount designer shoppin in nyc, but i guess i’ll just have to wait for the next london fashion weekend!
you’re really good in front of the cam, could this be a start of a new career in fashion tv? ;)
.-= dora´s last blog ..pre-advent shenanigans =-.

Miss Cavendish November 25, 2009 at 9:55 am

Have wanted to visit Century 21 forever; must pay a call over December break . . . It looks more organized than I anticipated; didn ‘t think that designers were actually grouped together!
.-= Miss Cavendish´s last blog ..Cookbook Chic =-.

miss sophie November 25, 2009 at 11:33 am

wow! i’ve always been freaked out by century 21 - though i’m a veteran of discount shops like Loehman’s and Filene’s. your video totally inspired me to check it out before year’s end! though i’ll probably try to avoid C21 this weekend… ;)
.-= miss sophie´s last blog ..mini thanksgiving 2.0 =-.

violetville November 28, 2009 at 8:59 am

oh my gosh, how awesome! you look amazing! how incredibly fun!! i’m thinking maybe a holiday shopping trip to nyc…
.-= violetville´s last blog ..DOONEY & BOURKE CREAM LEATHER SHOULDER/HOBO BAG/PURSE! =-.

Eyeliah November 28, 2009 at 1:06 pm

that outfit you put together is a dream and that store is gorgeous!
.-= Eyeliah´s last blog ..Giveaway Reminder =-.

idilvice December 3, 2009 at 10:55 am

You did amazingly well! Was it your first video? It’s one thing to be a blogger but there is this whole other part, another media, the video, which I am getting into now too and it’s so different from just being in your pj’s writing all day! I think you did fabulous and of course you choose a great outfit, considering the many options! Congratulations on your assignment too! Best, idilvice
.-= idilvice´s last blog ..holiday feeling =-.

Sway Sway Away December 5, 2009 at 6:11 am

Gorgeous heels! I’m in utter adoration. I am definitely going there when I get to NYC next.
.-= Sway Sway Away´s last blog ..Kinga Rajzak - Ten Magazine Winter ’09 =-.

{ 19 trackbacks }

• Century 21 Video: key pieces for the classic holiday look | Style Observer
  • Links à la Mode | DailyDivaDish
  • Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup | Independent Fashion Bloggers
  • The Style Aficionado » Links à la Mode : December 3rd
  • Links à la Stocking Stuffers
  • Bonne Vie - Links à la Stocking Stuffers!
  • IFB’s Links à la Mode: December 3rd, 2009 | Cool Mama Style
  • Prom Mafia » Blog Archive » Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup
  • Links a La Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup | Fashion Pulse Daily
  • Links à la Mode for week of December 3rd, 2009 « White Rabbit
  • Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup | TheWorkingWardrobe.com
  • Links à la Mode | 39thandbroadway.com
  • Pursed Lips » Links à la Mode de Stockings
  • A Painfully Pithy Roadtrip Update and the Links a la Mode for Dec 3 | Painfully Hip
  • Links ´ la Mode -
  • Links à la Mode
  • IFB Links à la Mode: December 3, 2009 « Brunette and Pink
  • Links à la Mode: What to wear & how to wear it - Get the freshest news and videos here… - SarSar
  • Cut Me Some Slacks