Holiday Film Guide

by jennine on December 8, 2009

Since it’s snowing all week and bitterly cold, I won’t be venturing outdoors in the near future. Some of you may have already heard of my plan to not leave the building all winter, mostly because I can’t bring myself to wear a sleeping bag in public. For all of you who might be in the same boat, and those of you who love watching movies, well… between two 14-hour plane trips and being stranded in bed with this awful cold, I’ve seen more movies in the last week than one person should probably see in a very long time. Luckily, Korean Air had some great movies on the plane, and many of them are coming out on DVD soon, just in time for the holidays and for staying in.

Julie & Julia

2009_julie_and_julia_0013

For whatever doubts anyone ever had about bloggers hitting the main stream, you know it’s happened when a Hollywood film starring Meryl Streep. I first heard of this movie from my dad, he was excited to tell me they’re making movies about bloggers nowadays! I’m not crazy about cutesy movies, so I was skeptical, even though I love Julia Child. Julie & Julia was really fun to watch, though as much as I love hearing stories about bloggers, and I love food, but in this film I was half tempted to fast forward to all the  Julia Child bits because I couldn’t get enough of them! They weren’t kidding when they said Meryl Streep’s performance as Julia Child was amazing, because she totally floored me!

DVD Release is today. image via Modern Domestic

500 Days of Summer

500-days1This film did more for the theme ‘He’s just not that into you’ than ‘He’s just not that into you.‘ Only in [500] Days of Summer, he’s a she. We’ve all been there, thought we were in love, had someone be in love with us, not the right place or the right time. I really like this movie, quirky, sweet, visually pleasing… I absolutely love Zooey Deschanel’s wardrobe in this film, that by itself makes the film worth it to watch.

DVD out on December 22, image via 500days.com

Up

up-1

You’re pretty much going to need uppers to stay awake though this snoozer. I may have a heart of coal, because I’m in the minority here, many people liked it, but I couldn’t even finish watching it. Seriously.

DVD out now. Image via Cinematic Intelligence Agency

Whatever Works

whatever worksA film directed by the world most lovable creep (Woody Allen) starring the world’s most lovable jerk (Larry David) it was nice to see Woody Allen return to the quirky New York based complicated romantic movies he made in the 70′s. Larry David was amazing… though I wish he had more parts in the film, as the plot kind of meandered in a way that just misses brilliant.

DVD out now. Image via Reverse Shot

Tetro

tetro-crutchA pleasant surprise to see Francis Ford Copola to indulge in a more independently minded film. Starring Vincent Gallo, set in Beunos Ares, and shot mostly in black and white… the perfect set up for a cerebral family drama. Though I could see the plot twist coming early in the film, it still was fun to watch.

No word on DVD… image via Three Cheers

Public Enemies

public-enemies-depp-cotillard

Many of you might have heard me speak of my love for movies set in the 1930′s and this is no exception. I was just about to say I haven’t seen a period film by Michael Mann… also polished Hollywood entertaining film. Of course the main star, Johnny Depp is dreamy and charismatic as far a bank robbing violent criminals go. Marion Cotillard was just as beautiful as ever, but oddly enough, my favorite touch of the film was Billy Crudup’s J. Edgar Hoover, as he sounded like he was from another time. One of my big pet peeves with period films, they always overlook the way people spoke.  Either way, the film pays a lot of attention to detail, and a very polished piece.

DVD out today Image via Alternative Film Guide

The Time Traveler’s Wife

The-Time-Travelers-Wife-eric-bana-2695338-1500-1000As annoying and unimaginative as the title.

DVD out in February, just in time to roll your eyes for Valentines Day! Image via FanPop

Georgia O’Keefe

TV Joan Allen O'Keeffe

Georgia O’Keefe’s husband, Alfred Stieglitz was a great photographer, but after you see this film, you’ll think he’s a narcissistic jackass. The film was good, in a made-for-TV-movie kind of way. Oh wait, that’s because it was made for Lifetime… TV. Joan Allen and Jeremy Irons were great in this, though I’ve seen better performances from both actors, Georgia O’Keefe is still worth the watch as long as you got a nice cup of hot cocoa beside you.

Image via NY Daily News

Moon

moon_sam_rockwell1

I’m not sure what to think about a film that so blatantly pays homage to classics like 2001 : A Space Odyssey and Solaris, except perhaps we’re not done confronting the loneliness of space. But in the film Moon I found the characters Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell) and GERTY (the robot voice of Keven Spacey) to be quite likable, which made for a decent story. I liked how the movie had a minimal amount of actors and didn’t rely on CGI to tell the story, the moon shots were done by model which I found out later, but while watching the film, it provided a richness we just haven’t achieved in the digital medium.

Image via Daemons Movies

District 9

District 9

Every time I think I’m done with science fiction, something like District 9 comes along. Campy & poignant District 9 touches a lot of social problems today, xenophobia, racism, corporate militarism and references them the forced District 6 evictions in 1960′s appartied Cape Town.  I particularly liked the subtle sense of humor, somewhat like The Office meets Aliens the film is done in such a way, we get the message through the absurdity.

DVD out December 28th. Image via Spectacular Attractions

Tami December 8, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I loved Tetro, it was shot so beautifully….and I agree, the plot was somewhat predictable but that’s OK. The fact that it was set in Argentina makes up for it.
.-= Tami´s last blog ..Crumbs Cupcakes =-.

Sheena December 8, 2009 at 12:07 pm

You named some great films! I plan on going to rent a few movies after work today to watch throughout the week, and Julie and Julia is definitely on my list. And I’m “hee heeing” at your review of “Time Traveler’s Wife”, because I felt the same way ;)

szaza December 8, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I LOVED Julie and Julia— but only the Julia bits! I was just telling a friend today that I wish there was an alternate version with only Julia, and more Julia. What was her life like in China? Was she in Norway— did I hear that right?

I drooled over the entire length of Public Enemies. Hot guys, hot clothes and a gorgeous girl.

Hugs to you, Jennine :)
.-= szaza´s last blog ..the side of the road =-.

Marketa December 8, 2009 at 12:13 pm

I saw Whatever works on plane when I was coming back from Europe.
It was soooo funny I watched it twice.
Love that movie.

Closet Cravings December 8, 2009 at 12:34 pm

I’ve seen most of these movies. “Julie & Julia” and “500 Days of Summer” are the best. They give you that warm happy feeling inside your heart. Love them. I also really enjoyed “Up!” I will say “District 9″ was a wee bit disgusting and disturbing, but still entertaining. I thought “Whatever Works” was a little disappointing, not what I had hoped for. I love Larry David. =)
.-= Closet Cravings´s last blog ..Closet Craving: Lo Bosworth’s Barbie Style =-.

Dana Bell December 8, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Alfred Stieglitz was a narcissistic jackass, so Jeremy Irons must have captured him. lol I’ll have to check it out. I know of one other person who didn’t like UP, so you aren’t entirely alone, however I loved it. Then again, I love anything by Pixar. The Time Travelers Wife definitely lacked a climax to make it more interesting, but with the right mood, it’s a good rainy day movie, but I think you need to be a sap to enjoy it. And when doesn’t Zooey Deschanel look amazing?! She’s like the Audrey Hepburn of Indie.

Rebekah December 8, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I’ve recently seen Julie & Julia, 500 days of Summer, and Up. I officially love Meryl Streep. And I know what you mean about wanting to fast forward to her scenes, I could watch a whole movie of her!

I’ll have to check these other movies out! I’ll be home for the holidays and thats pretty much all we do, watch movies.
.-= Rebekah´s last blog ..outfit post / inspired school girl / shopping tip =-.

Steff December 8, 2009 at 7:17 pm

You’re the only person I know other than myself that has actually seen Moon. I absolutely loved it and blogged about it as soon as I got back from seeing it in the theatre this summer. I can’t wait to get it on DVD to share with my man.
.-= Steff´s last blog ..In This Corner…Gareth Pugh =-.

grace December 8, 2009 at 7:20 pm

i’ll be staying in all winter too! well except for m-f 9-5 as there’s unfortunately no way around that one for me. but i recently purchased an ankle-length sleeping bag coat in preparation for when winter REALLY hits. truly hideous…but everyone else is wearing them too…and it’s what’s inside that counts, right?

while i may have given into the sleeping bag coat…i still have a bit of a problem accepting bulky, shapeless, ugg-ish boots….thank god for netflix!

Goody December 8, 2009 at 7:57 pm

as much as i loved the book, i was a bit disappointed in the time travelers wife the movie.

julie & julia made me want to know everything i could about julia child, she is so my kind of woman..major curvatude!

500 days of summer, while painful to watch at times for dudes sake was a lovely change of pace as far as movies go.

i saw district 9 with a male friend and he almost pee’d his pants he was so stoked thruout..i thought it was ok

public enemies was another one of those bad boy films that make me question my own morals..i wanted him to get away with everything!

Up just made me giddy…i loved it..and say it alone, no kid required!
.-= Goody´s last blog ..12 Days of Curvatude Christmas - Day 8 =-.

Fenke December 9, 2009 at 1:27 am

thanks for some great tipps - i’d love to see johnny deppp… (in whatever new film he is starring)
the time traveller’s wife: i started reading the book, but it iwas like you said: unimaginative and annoying. i mean, hellooo, you can write a ficiton/fairytale story but please - don’t try to sound too realistic. BOORING.
julia & julia: def. a must see on my list aswell :-)
.-= Fenke´s last blog ..Project White T-Shirt =-.

Leia December 9, 2009 at 3:44 am

I still haven’t seen 500 Days of Summer! I’m dying to see it. :)
.-= Leia´s last blog ..New Look S/S 2010 Press Launch Part 2 =-.

Retro Chick December 9, 2009 at 6:11 am

I want to see all of those.

I read the book of Julie & Julia before I even knew they were making a film and I loved it!
.-= Retro Chick´s last blog ..Dear Father Christmas….. =-.

Sally December 9, 2009 at 7:32 am

You’ve picked ALL of my absolute faves of the year! Especially “Up.” I could watch that movie on endless loop.
.-= Sally´s last blog ..Already Prettypoll: Quick Fixes =-.

katie December 9, 2009 at 7:37 pm

great post! i totally agree with you about ‘julie & julia’ (so good!) and ‘time traveler’s wife’ (so bad!). ‘moon’ i was on the fence about. it’s good, especially sam rockwell, but i was truly interested with what happened after the movie ended. i wish it was 30 minutes longer.
.-= katie´s last blog ..Pretty in Pink =-.

Freya December 15, 2009 at 10:09 am

i loved Julie and Julia too! I wanted to see Up.
.-= Freya´s last blog ..Adventure =-.

{ 1 trackback }