Heart and Seoul

by jennine on December 10, 2009

Going to Asia for the first time was definitely a great experience. I have wanted to do it my whole life, but somehow always got sidetracked by Europe. What can I say? The first few days we were there, Rocky was working on his project, but on the second day, he started to feel ill. I told him to ‘suck it up,’ but by the third day he was bed ridden, and I started to feel ill. So my ventures out were small trips not far from the hotel, and then I got to meet up with Esther from oh lady e, then went back to the hotel and stayed there for the rest of the trip because I got sick! I really didn’t do much shopping, probably because I wasn’t in the mood, or was feeling off… and I’m still not up to speed yet, as since I’ve been home I’ve not been able to sleep a whole night, so now my eye bags have decided to become eye luggage. And I’m thoroughly delirious at this point.

So from the small glimpse I got to Korean culture truly opened more questions than ever, I was too embarrassed to try to say ‘thank you’ in Korean because I kept messing it up, and I really couldn’t try too much of the food because by day 3 I was too woozy to indulge in anything spicy or that even remotely smelled like seafood which pretty much accounts for most of the local cuisine. Man, I’m making the worst travel writer ever! But from the little I did see, it was mind-blowing, and Seoul really is a beautiful city. My favorite neighborhood was Jongno-gu, which was full of art galleries, and darling tea cafes, with a few boutiques. And the most mind blowing shopping experience was at Dongdae-mung market, mostly because the sheer quantity of haberdashery and fabrics, along with all the traditional Korean wedding dress makers, it was gorgeous. The biggest regret was i didn’t get to cross the Haan river to get to the Anne Demeulemeester shop or to at least check out Daily Projects, but there’s always next time!

• Posterous

Tami December 10, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I love Korea. This post brings back lovely memories for me. Thanks Jennine. :)
Tami´s last blog ..Valrhona Equinoxe Gift Collection My ComLuv Profile

AsiaA December 10, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Sorry you were sicky. Being sick and away from the comforts of your home is the worst. The good news is, you can always go back. You usually need at least 1 day to just crash and let your body adjust when traveling overseas.
AsiaA´s last blog ..Get Some Lip Action! My ComLuv Profile

Nickie Frye December 10, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Wow, at least you got some amazing photos! I love the shot of the fabric (?) paper (?), & the bicycle. :) I hope you get back to 100% soon & lose the eye luggage.
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Catholic Girl Jumper My ComLuv Profile

Eli December 10, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Something similar happened on a school trip to DC a few years ago to one in our group. It didn’t help that it was february, but he got so sick. Like a dead dog. The first day he tried to sight see with us, but it was so cold and miserasble, he kept making us go into buildings we didnt know what they were just so he could rest and warm up. He departed the group early to go back to the hotel and stayed there for another two days. Needless to say he didnt see much and missed the whol reason we were even there for later on.

Sorry to hear you got so sick, think of it as a motivation to go back!

jennine December 11, 2009 at 9:12 pm

omg that’s what i did!

eyeliah December 10, 2009 at 3:55 pm

oh that is awful you both got sick the photos are so colorful and fun!
eyeliah´s last blog ..Bella My ComLuv Profile

songy December 10, 2009 at 6:30 pm

oh seoul where I was born. since I left it became so much more ‘international’ yet still very much of what i remember. I wish I could go back!!!!
songy´s last blog ..Style Circle at Trappist on King 09 My ComLuv Profile

jennine December 11, 2009 at 9:17 pm

oh yeah, you can really feel seoul becoming more international even if you’ve never been there before… it’s got this atmosphere like it’s really growing!

Alicia December 10, 2009 at 8:30 pm

That sucks that you guys were sick, but you managed to get some nice shots.

I NEED TO TRAVEL!!!
Alicia´s last blog ..…denim on denim*… My ComLuv Profile

WendyB December 10, 2009 at 9:46 pm

So sorry you were sick. If it’s any consolation, your pictures make me sick with jealousy, as always.
WendyB´s last blog ..Most Awesome Designing Women OF ALL TIME My ComLuv Profile

monikulus December 11, 2009 at 5:42 am

amazing ..!
monikulus´s last blog ..Valentino 2010 My ComLuv Profile

Alice December 11, 2009 at 6:54 am

Yes, sorry to hear you were sick and fair play for taking the great pictures and share your experience! the pictures of fabrics and ribbons are especially close to my heart! I’ve never been to Korea and would love to go one day!
Alice´s last blog ..Links à la Mode for week of December 10th My ComLuv Profile

Sweety P December 11, 2009 at 8:19 am

Lovely photos!
Sweety P´s last blog ..The Year of GAGA My ComLuv Profile

miss sophie December 11, 2009 at 9:37 am

your travel photos are gorgeous. hope you’re feeling better! i’ve always wanted to go to s. korea - but given my extensive travels in east asia at this point, maybe i will need to get sidetracked by europe before i hit up japan/korea/HK :)
miss sophie´s last blog ..throw it on and go My ComLuv Profile

Sonja December 11, 2009 at 10:19 am

So sorry that you both got sick! But I’m very impressed that you could get out and still manage to get a ton of gorgeous shots! Just lovely!
Sonja´s last blog ..How to get a sultry, holiday makeup look for less My ComLuv Profile

Casey December 11, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Aw… I’m sorry to hear you both were ill on this trip! I adore posts like this, because it’s my dream to go to Asia one day… So thanks for sharing this experience! All the photos you took (how did you manage to drag yourself out of bed?!) look amazing. Definitely worth a trip back in the future!

jennine December 11, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Oh man, it’s amazing, so different from the west! But yeah, I did get lots of pics, but still wish I had a lot more… next time!

hanako66 December 11, 2009 at 4:51 pm

your photos are beautiful…it is a place i hope to visit one day!
hanako66´s last blog ..there’s no place like home My ComLuv Profile

Lilly December 11, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Hi Jennine,

I am in love with Korean TV dramas^^. I guess after more than twenty episodes of “Princess Hours” I was pretty close to understand a few words (only at the Royal Court-haha). Do not feel bad for the food misery, many Europeans/Americans need several days to adapt to the climate and the food! I am sure your shopping spirit will be revived soon!
Love,

Lilly
Lilly´s last blog ..Bits and Pieces My ComLuv Profile

jennine December 11, 2009 at 9:16 pm

haha, that’s amazing! it’s kind of cool when you can understand what’s going on, because asian languages sound so so different, it’s another world! it’s kind of crazy becuase i like korean food in america a lot, but for some reason, it’s completely different in korea. i’ll have to try it again!

Miss Cavendish December 12, 2009 at 8:18 am

Korea also has one of the most beautiful national dress costumes for women that I’ve seen. I’ve never visited the country, but used to write speeches for a Korean ambassador, and going to work meant entering a new culture every day.
Miss Cavendish´s last blog ..Ultra Violet; Ultra Freudian? My ComLuv Profile

SwanDiamondRose December 12, 2009 at 3:37 pm

really gorgeous photos Jennine :) i’m sorry you got sick.
SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..SWANclothing LEATHER RAPUNZEL messenger [3] My ComLuv Profile

ambika December 22, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Oh man, I’m so sorry you got sick! My first trip to Asia is coming up this spring and I’ve got my fingers crossed I can muscle through any bugs that come my way.
ambika´s last blog ..Coveting J.Crew My ComLuv Profile