How to get a sultry, holiday makeup look for less

by Sonja on December 11, 2009

Have you attended any holiday parties? I haven’t gone to any yet, but I’m most definitely looking forward to glamming it up when I do. I got to sit in on a chat with makeup artist Jemma Kidd about how to do holiday makeup looks for less and have some tips to share on how to do a sultry look she calls punk couture. I love this look, because it’s all about the smoky eyes.

JK

If you’re in the U.S. , you’re probably familiar with Jemma from her JK line at Target. I think Target has done a good job bringing in more fashionable makeup choices – a much better job than they’ve done with their clothing collaborations. The quality of Jemma’s makeup is similar to what you’d find at Sephora or at a department store but generally at more affordable prices.

The Punk Couture Look

Jemma says the punk couture look is a rocker chic, Deborah-Harry-meets-Kate-Moss look that’s great for evening parties, one that boosts confidence when you’re rockin’ it right. Here’s what you need to do to get this look…

• Apply a mid-tone shadow all over the lid and a dark shadow in the crease.
  • Line eyes with a black pencil all the way around – from the inside corner to the outer, along top and bottom lash lines and in the waterline – and smudge.
  • Finish eyes with lots of coats of mascara.
  • Don’t worry about drawing a perfect line or if your mascara is a bit smudged. She says there’s no need to try to get everything perfect, that it’s A-OK to keep things a bit messy – hence, the rocker part of the look.
  • Keep cheeks and lips toned down with soft, neutral shades to keep the focus on the eyes. Apply blush along the cheekbone and a dab of highlighter just above the cheekbone to catch light. For lips, use just a bit of a touch of lightly tinted gloss.

Most of the products you need for this look can be found in Jemma’s new JK Strike a Pose Swivel Palette (shown below). It’s $32 – probably more than you’d usually spend on a makeup set at Target. But it’s actually a good buy, considering the quality and that you’re getting four shadows, a blush, highlighter, and lip gloss (that’s seven products for about $4.50 each). I got a sample of this palette and like it a lot. It’s versatile and very good for toting around every day, because the colors don’t go overboard on the shimmer and can work year-round, day or night – not just for evening parties.

Do Tell

What kind of looks do you do with your makeup for the holidays? Have you tried any JK products? Do tell.

Share and Enjoy:

{ 3 trackbacks }

Mac Cosmetics~Eye Shadow~MoonFlower~NIB (Authentic) on eBay.ca … | Cosmetics Beauty Wisdom
December 11, 2009 at 1:19 pm
The Link List: 12.11.09 | M.I.S.S.
December 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm
Gift Guide: Sisters | Bang Bang!
December 15, 2009 at 1:02 am

1 Sally December 11, 2009 at 8:29 am

I adore this look, truly. So sensual and devil-may-care. But I think it’s out of my skill set to make it happen, as we both know. ;)
Sally´s last blog ..Reader Request: Flattering Winter Coats My ComLuv Profile

2 Sonja December 11, 2009 at 10:03 am

❤ Sally, this would be especially good on you for your life rockin’ on stage! I would be happy to give you a hands-on lesson. Now just kindly make a visit to San Francisco. :)

3 Allie December 11, 2009 at 10:27 am

She has a lot of fun stuff, and you’re right, Target is stepping up their game. I love them for their Neutrogena and Jergens of course, but I’m super excited that they brought Boots Apothecary and Napoleon Perdis to us!

-Allie!
missmaterialist.blogspot.com

4 hanako66 December 11, 2009 at 3:50 pm

that’s a good tutorial…i haven’t tried these products, but they sound good!
hanako66´s last blog ..there’s no place like home My ComLuv Profile

5 diana December 11, 2009 at 4:19 pm

I’ve tried some of her products and they are amazing. I love creating drama around my eyes so I’m definitely a fan of the smoky eye look. This was a great tutorial and I would love to get that palette.
diana´s last blog ..Too Faced Fun in The Dark Giveaway! My ComLuv Profile

6 Sonja December 11, 2009 at 6:28 pm

❤ Allie, yes, I also like the Boots line but haven’t tried the Perdis stuff. Definitely need to give that a try too!
❤ hanako66, they’re wonderful!
❤ diana, glad you found the info helpful! It’s a pretty awesome palette. Glad to hear you’ve tried the products and like them too.
Sonja´s last blog ..How to get a sultry, holiday makeup look for less My ComLuv Profile

7 Kellie December 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm

I haven’t tried any of Jemma’s products yet, but I look at them curiously every time I’m in Target. I wasn’t sure if they’d be worth the money, but if you say they’re good quality, then I may have to give them a try! :D
I really love the “punk couture” look, especially for going out to concerts and things like that. My favorite holiday makeup, though, is sparkly silver smokey eyes and bright red lips. :)

8 Wendy December 14, 2009 at 9:41 pm

This holiday, I’m still under the spell of the Mad Men makeup from Season 3 this summer. I love the sophistication of a red lip and deftly defined eye. However, unlike the Sterling Cooper ladies, I like a more dewy finish to my skin. In the past, I’ve loved using Jemma Kidd Makeup School “Dewy Glow All-Over Radiance Cream” in Rose Gold. It’s a compact highlighter, so it’s a little less messy than Benefit’s High Beam Highlighter (another fav of mine). I haven’t seen Dewy Glow widely available recently, so I’m not sure if it’s been discontinued… I looked on Target.com, and it looks like JK Jemma Kidd “Spotlight Intense Highlighter” is the closest version of Dewy Glow that she has.

9 Wendy December 14, 2009 at 9:42 pm