Getting Heady

by jennine on December 15, 2009

For a few years now, I’ve been rooting to bring back hats. They’ve always seemed to hover on the edge of being brought back to daily attire, but I just don’t feel like it’s ever going to happen. While in the winter months I wouldn’t hardly dare to go outdoors without a hat, that’s more a function thing… but more often than not I find that wearing hats for pleasure doesn’t happen as much as it should.

Dutch Milliner, Irene Bussemaker, who had apprenticed under Philip Treacy creates true to art-form sculptural hats you’ll see on the runways of edgy emerging designers like Iris Van Herpen. I’m acutally ashamed that I hadn’t posted about Ms. Bussemaker before because I’ve completely drooled over the edgy forms and playful use of color. The kind of hats that you wear to make a statement, or in my case wear to distract from the sleepy eyes I’ve had as of late. Perhaps these days I shall venture out of the house wearing the most outrageous hats hoping that no one notices the circles under my eyes… “Hey! Nice hat!” Staring at my hat, and not to my eyes. “Why, thank you.”

1 Kristen December 15, 2009 at 10:33 am

Fantastic hats! Any of these pieces would surely draw eyes and attention to the wearer’s pure sense of fashion.
Kristen´s last blog ..Fashion Dare: Wham Glam Thank-You Ma’am My ComLuv Profile

2 szaza December 15, 2009 at 10:37 am

Oh these are phenomenal. I love hats, especially vintage ones. I have a fine little collection growing, and I’m so pleased it’s wintertime. Out they come!

Ladies, let’s bring back the hat.

3 jennine December 15, 2009 at 4:12 pm

ooh, i can totally see you in vintage hats!

4 Tami December 15, 2009 at 10:54 am

I love hats! It’s been my secret wish for designers to bring the accessory back…besides, it’s great to cover up the bad hair days. :)
Tami´s last blog ..Compartes Chocolatier My ComLuv Profile

5 Cammila December 15, 2009 at 12:34 pm

I’ll join forces with you to bring back hats! Mostly I’m with you — a girl needs a good beret or cloche or something when it’s cold out. But those discus looking ones will make a good start for my summer collection…
Cammila´s last blog ..Back to bringing it. My ComLuv Profile

6 jennine December 15, 2009 at 4:15 pm

you look so great in hats, especially with veils! but i live in my berets an cloches this time!

7 Sheena December 15, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Lovely hats! I do think the art of wearing hats as an everyday part of the outfit is a lost practice for women. Men can wear hats everyday (especially baseball caps), but many of us only seem to do it as a form of functionality.

8 Sally December 15, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Gorgeous pieces - especially the multicolor beret-like ones with the faux visors!
Sally´s last blog ..My Holiday Wishlist My ComLuv Profile

9 WendyB December 15, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Love that first colorful one especially!

10 jennine December 15, 2009 at 4:16 pm

i can see that with your puffy sleeve watercolor jacket!

11 dreamsequins December 15, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Oh wow. These are just amazing- pieces of art, really! It’s a coincidence that you posted about hats because I just got a new headpiece that I’m wearing out tonight! I think that will be my signature going out look. Like a party for the head :)
dreamsequins´s last blog ..Guest Post: Gift Yourself with Our City Lights! My ComLuv Profile

12 jennine December 15, 2009 at 4:16 pm

i am so looking out for it! post pictures!

13 Jessica December 15, 2009 at 3:15 pm

I LOVE hats, I wish they were worn more! That feather piece is very fun!
Jessica´s last blog ..Tat Me Up! My ComLuv Profile

14 Casey December 15, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Those are amazing hats! I just love how colorful some are, and architecturally striking others are. Beautiful!

15 amy December 15, 2009 at 11:25 pm

sigh, hats. i have 2 large hatboxes full of vintage ones that i have collected over the years. each time i have purchased one, i have thought it would be the one that i would actually wear but i admit that i am too nervous to do it. i have been getting closer though with some of the more elaborate hair clips and headbands that have been out recently. one day!

16 Nickie Frye December 16, 2009 at 9:40 am

The only thing about hats is that they draw such attention, in sort of an annoying way. Every single time I wear a hat, people feel the need to make comments. Strangers in the store walk up & say something. Friends make such a big deal when you walk in with a hat on. I feel so conspicuous by the end of the day, as if someone has hired an airplane to fly overhead w/ a billboard: “GIRL WEARING HAT HERE!!!”. Sheesh. Not worth all the hubbub.
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Minnetonka Moccasins in Lime Green My ComLuv Profile

17 szaza December 16, 2009 at 11:00 am

I’d just say, “Yes, yes I am. Isn’t it marvellous?”
Then I’d smile and turn my behatted head in the other direction.
People will always make a big deal if you do anything different.
szaza´s last blog ..one year + one day My ComLuv Profile

18 Make Do Style December 16, 2009 at 10:27 am

I had such a good collection of hats once I don’t know why I got rid of them.
Inspiring images!
Make Do Style´s last blog ..Dress a blogger for Hanukkah, Christmas, Happy Holiday My ComLuv Profile

19 SwanDiamondRose December 17, 2009 at 6:06 pm

anything that references 14th century nun headgear is always a favourite of mine. that would make Irene Bussemaker a favourite of mine.
SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..transparent pale blue lace & The House of Mirth & moving [2] My ComLuv Profile