Nelson Lo Ting Hei: Hair Piece

by jennine on December 17, 2009

nelson lo

Martin Luther once said “The hair is the richest ornament of women.” I wonder if he meant only if the hair is still on the head. Beyond wigs and hairpieces, designers and artists have been using hair beyond any ‘realistic’ sense of the word… remember Nagi Noda’s hair hats? Maison Martin Margiela? Sonia Rykeil (also my MMM)?

London College of Fashion MA graduate Nelson Lo Ting Hei, has created these beautiful sculptural pieces, I almost want to say garments but they don’t all look like they can acutally fit on a human body. Inspired by the human body, they have a muscular shape to them, with the hair giving a graphic feeling, like the cross hatching of a Gray’s Anatomy drawing. The misplaced strands give a sense of imperfection, of reality, as we never have our perfect hair moments.

I wouldn’t ask the question ‘can I wear it?’ because these pieces aren’t about wearability but stretching the imagination. Perhaps one day we’ll be open to wearing vests of human hair, why that sends shivers up my spine and wearing a wig does not, who knows?  I am just fascinated by the bridging between the human form and fashion, as even though it’s a bridge crossed every day, sometimes we need to see work that makes us take a closer look.

nelsonlo4
Source: F-Tape

Jaime @ Denim Debutante December 17, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Well, it certainly is thought-provoking to say the least (but you’re right… not really sure how you’d wear that!).
.-= Jaime @ Denim Debutante´s last blog ..7 For All Mankind Named one of Top Ten Products of the Decade! =-.

Andrea December 17, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Wow, very interesting and unique pieces of art! I love the idea of having a few hairs out of place to echo the reality of imperfection.
.-= Andrea´s last blog ..Sue Devitt and Tracy Reese Beauty & Fashion Event =-.

Liv Lundelius December 17, 2009 at 3:48 pm

omg! these are insane! thank you so much for sharing.
.-= Liv Lundelius´s last blog ..let love and friendship reign forever =-.

Nickie Frye December 17, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Wow, those are no joke. They should be in a museum!
.-= Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Vintage Multi Color Sequin Long Sleeved Blouse =-.

elspeth December 17, 2009 at 4:40 pm

amazing. i can’t imagine the work and thought that went into these.
i linked you on my blog, hope thats ok! <3
closetobsessions.blogspot.com

jennine December 17, 2009 at 5:29 pm

it looks like there’s been an enormous amount of work in these.. and oh thanks for the link!

elena December 17, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Just a little creepy. But definitely creative.
.-= elena´s last blog ..La Belle Vie =-.

WendyB December 17, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Fascinating…now that I’ve gotten over the hurdle of wearing my vintage monkey-fur coat, I actually feel up to wearing something like this!
.-= WendyB´s last blog ..You Are All Winners =-.

jennine December 17, 2009 at 5:26 pm

you have a monkey fur coat! WOW! you have everything!

SwanDiamondRose December 17, 2009 at 5:56 pm

the lustre that is created from the surface of tightly and carefully aligned human hair is really like nothing else. i love the cold future of these and their organic origins. beautiful and strange. they really have an armour-like quality. i’d love to see them in a film.
.-= SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..transparent pale blue lace & The House of Mirth & moving [2] =-.

jennine December 18, 2009 at 11:51 am

oh my goodness, i love the way you’ve described this! a film indeed, it would be some kind of epic visually stunning film to say the least.

goodlookingcorgi December 17, 2009 at 8:37 pm

While I want to like them, clothing made out of dark hair just gives me a creepy vibe a la The Ring and other Japanese horror films. I suppose it’s just a strange association but seeing a whole lot dark hair wrapped around another person just makes me assume that that person is cursed and will probably die soon. Stupid J-horror, imprinting on people like that.

jennine December 18, 2009 at 11:52 am

i’m so glad i never saw the american version of the ring! the japanese version would make you hair phobic for certain!

Alicia December 17, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Those are nuts! I’d love to see them up close.
.-= Alicia´s last blog ..…around the house… =-.

amy December 17, 2009 at 11:11 pm

at first i wasn’t quite sure what i was looking at but i do sort of like them. they are definitely interesting and i have never seen anything like them~

Idstyle December 18, 2009 at 7:36 am

these are some crazy hair pieces, but love the ideas of exploring hair as a textile (just not sure I’d ever wear it, though you are right, they are not necessarily meant to be worn). If we wear animal fur, than it isn;t such a big stretch to think that human hair would eventually make it’s way into our closets as well.
.-= Idstyle´s last blog ..Links A La Mode - Links Worth Reading =-.

jennine December 18, 2009 at 11:53 am

yeah, that’s what i was thinking too… i mean, why not? we grow it…. why not do something with it instead of just throwing it away. it’s got to be of some value…

The Fashion Techie December 18, 2009 at 9:00 am

hair pieces that you wear as clothing… hmmm…sounds like PETA would love this, lol. def interesting. I can’t help but think how it feels to touch. One thing for sure.. one of a kind and I’ve never seen anything like this before.

jennine December 18, 2009 at 11:54 am

haha, would PETA love it or hate it? I can’t really tell…

Chromium Dumb Belle February 4, 2010 at 1:24 am