Seven party perfect beauty tips

by Sonja on December 30, 2009

I love a good party, especially because it’s a wonderful opportunity to do glamorous, party makeup. Should you be heading out for a festive new year’s eve swaré, I offer up seven beauty tips to help you crank up the glamour.

1. Focus

To avoid looking like an 80’s beauty don’t, choose a focal point to dramatize – eyes, lips, or even cheeks.

2. Start with a good foundation

Dramatic makeup looks best when you even out your complexion with a good foundation or tinted moisturizer. It’s never a good thing when smoky eyes or red lipstick have to compete with blotchy skin. I recommend Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation. It makes skin look flawless without looking all made up.

3. Bold Lips

If you decide to go with bold lips, keep eye makeup simple with just a sweep of mascara and perhaps a little liquid liner for a clean line or a little cat eye action.

Red is always a classic, show-stopping color, like the new Simply Red from the Estee Lauder Ultimate Red holiday collection. Also consider a vivid pink, like one from the Shu Uemura Pink Collection, for a fun alternative.

Click for tips on how to help lip color last, even on a long night of partying.

4. Dramatic Eyes

If you decide to go with smoldering, smoky eyes, you can make life easier if you go with a coordinated set with colors chosen specifically for a smoky eye look, like one of the Urban Decay Smoke Out Kits or the Estee Lauder Eye Shadow Quad in Black Smoke (click to see reviews, pics and swatches on my new beauty blog Hello Beauty).

To keep smoky eyes from looking dirty, keep some eye makeup remover on hand to clean up any shadow that falls below the eyes. Be sure to use concealer under the eyes if you have the slightest bit of darkness there. A smoky eye will call attention to that, so give under eye circles the boot.

5. Sparkle

Parties are the perfect time to sparkle. Apply a sparkly powder on cheekbones, neck, décolleté, shoulders, and even in your hair. Estee Lauder’s new Opulent Shimmer Powder is an ideal choice.

Glitter liners are also great for parties. They look especially dazzling when applied just along the lower lash line. I highly recommend Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner if you want a serious dose of glitter.

6. Luminous Skin

If you’re revealing a bit of skin with a lovely party dress, your skin will look even better if it looks luminous. Makeup artists use this trick all the time for the runway and photo shoots. Sparkly powders are one way to do this. Another is to bust out a lotion or balm that tricks the eye and makes skin look ultra smooth. These are especially good on legs and arms. Benefit Body so Fine is a velvety balm that’s a longtime fave of many a makeup artist.

7. Sleek Hair

Hair looks best when it’s sleek and shiny, since that’s how it looks when it’s at its healthiest. But hair gets dull as we age so most of us could use a shine boost. Serums are great but they can weigh down hair. Living Proof No Frizz has a revolutionary formula that tames frizz and adds shine without flattening hair. I’m also a big fan of L’Oreal Perfect Shimmer Shine Illuminating Mist. It makes my hair ultra shiny and isn’t as likely to flatten hair, because it goes on in a very fine mist.

Happy 2010!

Image by torkristensen / CC BY 2.0

Share and Enjoy:

{ 2 trackbacks }

Seven party perfect beauty tips | THE COVETED | Beauty Tips Blog
December 31, 2009 at 6:04 am
Latest beauty news - Grazia Fashion: Morning Round Up: Angelina’s beauty cred, Stella’s …
January 1, 2010 at 11:39 am

1 Meg December 30, 2009 at 10:08 am

Great tips! I will definately use these!
Meg´s last blog ..A change of plans My ComLuv Profile

2 Sonja January 3, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Thank you! So glad you found them helpful! Happy New Year!
Sonja´s last blog ..Urban Decay Smoke Out for easy, breezy, glitzy smoky eyes My ComLuv Profile

3 DailyDivaDish December 30, 2009 at 10:11 am

Great list Sonja. I’m happy you included the glitter on lower lash line idea. I just recently started doing this for special occasions and love the effect!
XO Piper
DailyDivaDish´s last blog ..Fashion Inspiration: The Color Purple My ComLuv Profile

4 Sonja January 3, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I had been doing glitter on the top lash line but not always loving it. I much prefer the lower lash line and have been doing that instead these days. XO!

5 Robert Ballew December 30, 2009 at 10:19 am

I highly recommend Sonja’s perfect party tips!!!
Robert
LifeStyle with Robert
Robert Ballew´s last blog ..Tonal Layering=Effortless Elegance My ComLuv Profile

6 Sonja January 3, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Thank you, Robert!

7 s h e r r y December 30, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Thanks for the tips! :) Sparkles all the way!
s h e r r y´s last blog ..Portraits | Elena My ComLuv Profile

8 Sonja January 3, 2010 at 5:10 pm

You’re very welcome! I’m with ya – sparkles all the way! :)

9 Korka December 30, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Thanks for this post, Sonja.

Thanks especially for the foundation tip, I’m going sixties / modern glam this year and I need my skin to look very smooth.

I’d love it if you and Jennine posted pics of yourselves decked out on new years and if readers did the same. I know all of you are going to look ultra fab.

Happy new year!
Korka´s last blog ..Work for Sale My ComLuv Profile

10 Sonja January 3, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Thanks, Korka! Glad you liked the foundation tip. A smooth, even complexion makes such a big difference.

Also glad that Jennine posted a new year’s pic. I had a totally mellow new year’s eve so I have no fabulous pics to share. :) Hope you have a wonderful 2010!

11 hanako66 December 30, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Thanks for the tips and happy new year!
hanako66´s last blog ..Crazy Christmas Lady My ComLuv Profile

12 Sonja January 3, 2010 at 5:12 pm

You’re very welcome! Happy new year to you too!!

13 K-Line December 30, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Excellent ideas! And I hope you have a Happy New Year, S!
K-Line´s last blog ..I Feel So Sassy My ComLuv Profile

14 Sonja January 4, 2010 at 12:14 am

Thank you! Hope you have a wonderful new year too!

15 Kwil December 30, 2009 at 6:31 pm

such good tips. thanks!!! here’s to looking fab in 2010!!
Kwil´s last blog ..El Limón My ComLuv Profile

16 Sonja January 4, 2010 at 12:15 am

Absolutely! I’ll raise a glass to that! xoxo

17 Levinson & Axelrod December 31, 2009 at 9:07 am

I love going to parties with bright red or pink lipstick! It makes me feel more confident.

18 Sonja January 4, 2010 at 12:15 am

I know exactly what you mean. I LOVE makeup! :)

19 Emily January 3, 2010 at 3:00 am

Great tips - my New Year’s resolution is to make more of an effort when going out - I got stuck in a rut, same make up, same hair style - boring boring boring!! Started as I meant to go on on NYE - liquid eyeliner (a first for me!) and an up-do!! :) )

Happy New Year, xx
Emily´s last blog ..Bargain Hunter: my first proper shopping trip, plus 365 project: Day 2 My ComLuv Profile