Snow Boots

by jennine on January 11, 2010

snow boots

This weekend, I broke down and bought a pair of snow boots. In all the years of my life, regular boots have always done me well for the winter months, but this year… and last year…squeezing my over-layered feet into a boot meant only for one, maybe two pairs of socks just doesn’t work. For those of you who live in milder climates, I understand what you’re thinking. ‘No way would I ever wear snow boots, unless they were cute. No way!’ Because that’s exactly what I was thinking! I was stupid not to stock up on winter gear in October and November, but I didn’t like any serious winter accessory, and now everything is sold out. Even Target is now out of hats, and fully stocked with bikinis!

I spent a good portion of the day looking for snow boots, trying them on, asking the sales people a lot of questions. You see a lot of people walking around in UGGs.. which to tell the truth, compared to some of the other boots, UGGs weren’t looking so bad, frustrating. The last place I looked, Nordstrom’s, had a decent selection of snow boots, I ended up liking the Børn Tellyboot mostly because I liked the toggle closure. Yesterday I took these out for a long walk, and they held up well and made a huge difference in spending time outside for the winter months because as much the cold can be painful, it’s more depressing to stay indoors all winter.
These boots are sold out on Nordstrom.com, but are available on Zappos.

Today’s outfit: Kensie Open Knit Cardigan • American Apparel leggings • Wool ski socks • Audrey Cantwell t-shirt dress • Vintage handbag.

PS. Keeping a happy face in 16°F weather was a challenge! Sorry about the serious look!

Share and Enjoy:

1 Nickie Frye January 11, 2010 at 10:08 am

Those are cute! They remind me of Sorels, but with more style. I actually just scored a pair of vintage Sorels that I need to get listed in my shop. Pretty excited about that.

Anyway, your hair looks super cute! Definitely NOT “mom hair”, & I should know. ;)
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..SALE Dooney and Bourke Burgundy Handbag My ComLuv Profile

2 jennine January 11, 2010 at 3:02 pm

ooh, i totally forgot to check out vintage for additional snow boots! thanks for the tip! i’ll keep an eye out!

3 rachel c. January 11, 2010 at 10:18 am

Oh, snow boots. I just bought a pair myself and, while they’re completely conventional for the Winter weather, I feel so out of place wearing them. You, of course, look amazing!

Happy New Year!

xoxoxo

4 Monica January 11, 2010 at 10:18 am

I feel your pain:) Living in Canada, trying to balance fashion vs. pratical can be hard but those boots are super cute & look very warm. I hate to stay indoors but am not a sporty gal either however I love strolling the streets in Winter with hot cocoa in hand & layering can be a bore. Great find!

5 jennine January 11, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Hot cocoa! I need that! But yes, it’s always fun to go out and about in the snow days! I like to sing walking in a winter wonderland on those walks (if its not too cold)

6 dust January 11, 2010 at 10:36 am

Nice hair…

7 Vic January 11, 2010 at 10:48 am

I so wanted to get a pair of boots yesterday but can’t find the ones I want…:( Maybe this week! Those are cute! I love booots, shoes….everything!
Vic´s last blog ..Pocket Picker My ComLuv Profile

8 hanako66 January 11, 2010 at 11:04 am

those are actually quite cute!!!
hanako66´s last blog ..sometimes you just wake up on the right side of the bed My ComLuv Profile

9 Sabrina January 11, 2010 at 11:08 am

great boots. these puppies should definetly keep your toes and feet warm in our crappy Chicago weather.

Love the whole look.

10 Ev`Yan || apricot tea. January 11, 2010 at 11:15 am

Hell would have to freeze over — quite literally — for me to need snow boots in LA.

It’s not fair. I want snow. Can you believe people are wearing shorts & tank tops around here?
Ev`Yan || apricot tea.´s last blog ..learning to be thrifty & DIY-y, in spite of my wants. My ComLuv Profile

11 jennine January 11, 2010 at 3:07 pm

haha, yes, as a matter of fact I can! well at least you can drive to the snow when you feel like it! i always tell people that in california, ….weather, just decide what you want and drive to it! (in 2 hrs or less)

12 Sally January 11, 2010 at 11:23 am

Those are some seriously stylin’ snow boots. Well chosen, Jennine!
Sally´s last blog ..What Have You Done for Your Body Lately? My ComLuv Profile

13 jennine January 11, 2010 at 3:07 pm

coming from a minnesota maven, that means a lot!

14 propriatress January 11, 2010 at 11:25 am

yup those are cute cute cute! I’m a boot nut…and in the Pacific Northwest ya gotta have a warm pair of boots, and hopefully ones that can keep your feet dry too! For winter, I love a pair of medium high heel, calf to knee high sheepskin-lined boots for warmth…….but no no no Uggs. ever.

15 dreamsequins January 11, 2010 at 11:35 am

I just broke down and got some snowboots, too. And a giant puffy jacket. Yours look lovely but also very practical!
dreamsequins´s last blog ..Beauty Beat: The Best Beauty Advice I Ever Received My ComLuv Profile

16 jennine January 11, 2010 at 3:08 pm

omg! i think it’s happening all over nyc, monica also broke down and got a pair!

17 K-Line January 11, 2010 at 11:51 am

As a woman who knows a thing or two about being grateful for ugly boots in January, let me say those are adorable. And very well priced. The toggle - so sweet. And the look suits you well!
K-Line´s last blog ..Hide and Seek My ComLuv Profile

18 jennine January 11, 2010 at 3:09 pm

ooh, i’d like to see what you have, toronto must be brutal this time of year!

19 miss sophie January 11, 2010 at 11:51 am

i got myself a pair of no.6 tall shearling clog boots two weeks ago. super comfy but also chic enough to make a winter style statement all their own…and the best part is, the shearling and leather are both water resistant!
miss sophie´s last blog ..50% off all rachel nasvik bags My ComLuv Profile

20 Eli January 11, 2010 at 11:57 am

I bought some Sorel winter boots on ebay and I was so happy until they came because they were huge! the sizing ran very big, so I’m going to resell them on ebay and buy myself some others. I want something fuzzy inside too…

21 jennine January 11, 2010 at 3:09 pm

oh yeah, i heard that about them… i think it might have to do with giving room for socks? who knows?

22 Carla January 11, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Those are very cute! I have a similar pair (different brand, black) that I wear all the time now. They go so well with skinny jeans!
Carla´s last blog ..Check us out on Facebook! My ComLuv Profile

23 Ashe Mischief January 11, 2010 at 12:06 pm

You know, for years everyone didn’t understand why I was like, “I love my Ugg boots.” But seriously, when it’s below zero, what are you supposed to do? It’s almost like extreme heat… at some point, high function really takes precedence over high fashion. And to those who say, “I’d never wear them!”…. well, just wait until you have to go to work in that 15F weather… or take a bus. You’d sing a different song then.
Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..Alice in Wonderland for Urban Decay My ComLuv Profile

24 jennine January 11, 2010 at 3:11 pm

no kidding! i was walking around wrapped up like a burrito last week… this week i’ve climatized enough to experiment with how little i can wear. the boots help tremendously, as if my feet are warm, i can wear a lighter coat, and was able to sport one layer of leggings in 20F. not bad!

25 ...love Maegan January 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I think snow boots are adorable! ….admittedly own a few pairs of uggs and I’m in LA …so, probably unnecessary.

26 jennine January 11, 2010 at 3:13 pm

i always thought UGGs were the SoCal beach boot… or surfer girl style? or maybe for snowboarding? it’s probably necessary at some point!

27 Ciara January 11, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Those boots are great! My frigid-no-matter-how-many-layers-of-socks-feet would probably love an investment like that on my part! I love how you’ve worked such nice winter neutrals here, as well.

xoxo
Ciara´s last blog ..Trend I Love: Digital Prints My ComLuv Profile

28 Retro Chick January 11, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I am so jealous of you right now. It’s been snowing here since before Christmas and I’m so tired of my toes getting so cold I can’t feel them and then burning painful when they warm up!

P.S. Your hair looks gorgeous too.
Retro Chick´s last blog ..All The Fun Of The Fair My ComLuv Profile

29 jennine January 11, 2010 at 3:21 pm

you might have to get a pair!

30 Chessa! January 11, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I love them! It is SO hard to find ones that aren’t completely ugly. these are great:)
and btw, I love your haircut!!
Chessa!´s last blog ..Big Plans My ComLuv Profile

31 amie January 11, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Great boots! The last three snowy winters have reignited my appreciation for cozy footwear.

(And, kudos to you for braving the cold sans scarf.)
amie´s last blog ..First Fashion: Style with a Splash of Whimsy My ComLuv Profile

32 Jaime January 11, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Love the boots! They look super warm! I love those toggles!
I wish I had need for them in So Cal… I feel bad today it is perfect out side and the rest of the world has turned into the Arctic! ;)

33 jennine January 11, 2010 at 3:22 pm

well… you could need them for going up to the mountains?
winter nights?
i always loved winter accessories when i lived in SoCal… but now i have to wear them… wooops!

34 Shelley January 11, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Jennine, I think your hair looks great shorter, definitely more chic! I finally gave in this winter and purchased a pair of Sorels on sale, only to find that after wearing them for more than 10 minutes, they rub the back of my heels (as another poster commented, they seem to run larger in size). I was so dissapointed, as they are very warm, and don’t look too “Nanook of the North”, now it seems I’ll have to sell them, and I still have no practical winter boots! I like the brand Born, and have a pair of their sandals. Your boots look warm but not too clunky, and the toggle closure is a great idea.
Shelley´s last blog ..Serious Style Envy… My ComLuv Profile

35 TheWorkingWardrobe January 11, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I love this post so much because I have gone through the exact same dilemma! My very first pair of snow boots I only received due to them being given to me for Christmas and that was last year! I absolutely hate how ugly most snow boots are and I didn’t even wear my gifted boots that often! I then found these Pajar boots at one of my favorite shoe boutiques (http://www.pajar.com/en/Pajar/Women/69). They’re 100% waterproof, super warm and actually add a certain level of ‘cute’ to my winter outfits! I’m glad we both found our boots for this winter (and beyond)!
TheWorkingWardrobe´s last blog ..Looks to Layer Up With My ComLuv Profile

36 Tabitha Green January 11, 2010 at 6:09 pm

You bought an awfully cute pair of snow boots. They fit you well.
Tabitha Green´s last blog ..One For You And Majority For Me My ComLuv Profile

37 EmilythePanda January 11, 2010 at 6:14 pm

i like the toggles on your boots! very cute. esp since you live in chicago… winter boots are so key to staying warm and happy! i have ugg adirondack boots and they have been a livesaver these last two winters.
EmilythePanda´s last blog ..wearing today My ComLuv Profile

38 Lucy January 11, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I like that first picture! your hair looks really good! :)
Lucy´s last blog ..Belated Finding: Imogen for Topshop SS 2010 My ComLuv Profile

39 the clothing menu January 11, 2010 at 6:56 pm

it’s so tough to find cute snow boots and to look good when it’s cold out - but the boots look great (and warm)!

40 charles January 11, 2010 at 7:39 pm

wow! what amazingly cute winter outfit and the boots are fab! :)
charles´s last blog ..Slow & Steady Wins The Race: Tortoise Shell My ComLuv Profile

41 Clare January 11, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Welcome to Chicago winters! Honesty, though, I love those snow boots. Stay warm out there!
Clare´s last blog ..You Can Do it Your Own Way My ComLuv Profile

42 Goody January 11, 2010 at 8:23 pm

i did a post last week about ‘real boots’ because the weather does not play here in chicago!

btw..where is your coat?
Goody´s last blog ..Crystal Renn: Soft & Nude My ComLuv Profile

43 WendyB January 11, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I like your GRAY SWEATER!

44 Alicia January 11, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I would love to say that I can empathize, but I cannot. =P

But your hair and that sweater are gorgeous!!
Alicia´s last blog ..…flipside addendum.. My ComLuv Profile

45 Market Publique January 11, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Love the gray layers!! The sweater & socks look so cozy.

46 Moomby January 11, 2010 at 11:10 pm

those boots are awesome, but you’re right, i couldn’t get away with wearing them in southern california. they’d be a bit much here. good luck staying warm!
Moomby´s last blog ..Trachea Abuse My ComLuv Profile

47 Rhiannon January 12, 2010 at 12:04 am

Your new haircut is anything but mom-ish—I think it suits you better than long hair! And I love your oversized cardigan and your ability to still look chic during Chicago winters-it’s hard work!!
Rhiannon´s last blog ..Knitting project for a cold afternoon . . . My ComLuv Profile

48 Make Do Style January 12, 2010 at 2:05 am

Oh believe me after a week of this weather in the UK I need snow boots. Yours are great plus your hair looks lovely more you!
Make Do Style´s last blog ..Bit of a Borrower My ComLuv Profile

49 carina100 January 12, 2010 at 4:57 am

they’re really gorgeous, good find! and at least they’re not uggs! Cx
carina100´s last blog ..‘Model of the Year’ Georgia May Jagger for Versace My ComLuv Profile

50 Midtown Girl January 12, 2010 at 5:19 am

Yes - these remind be a bit of the Sorels too! And I love that Kensie Cardigan TOO MUCH!

I loved that you paired them with leg warmers too….how do you feel about leg warmers being worn on the outside of boots? I’ve seen this recently - prob more fashion oriented than weather appropriate, no?
XOXO
Amy
Midtown Girl´s last blog ..Designer Deets: Chulette My ComLuv Profile

51 Mens casual jackets January 12, 2010 at 5:42 am

I’m really liking that knit!

52 Dottie January 12, 2010 at 6:49 am

Snow boots are necessary in Chicago, as you’ve found. I spent months searching for stylish, normal looking boots that were lined with shearling, only to find that none exist. I finally bought some that look similar to yours and alternate those with heavy duty black leather boots I bought 8 years ago. Hopefully you’re still enjoying Chicago :)
Dottie´s last blog ..We interrupt this blog . . . My ComLuv Profile

53 Kristen January 12, 2010 at 7:29 am

I think the people who have vowed to never wear snow boots, just haven’t lived in real winter yet!
Kristen´s last blog ..Links A La Mode: Bring It On My ComLuv Profile

54 Alice January 12, 2010 at 7:58 am

Oh, I envy you…my legs are constantly freezing in my “regular” boots. Irish weather is usually not that cold, so I didn’t see it coming..the sales are perfect for some shopping though.

Love the cardigan!
Alice´s last blog ..How To Wear A Puffer Coat My ComLuv Profile

55 twila January 12, 2010 at 9:15 am

OMG I wish I could borrow your adorable snow boots!! I am backbacking in Venice right now and my feet keep getting damp! Boo!!

56 Sheena January 12, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I love those snow boots on you! They are cute and look very warm! Welcome to the Midwestern weather! I have Uggs, but to make me feel a bit better, I didn’t get the “standard” pair. I honestly hate the fact that I have to wear any snow boots, period, but I remember why when the snow starts wearing on my regular boots! :)

57 SwanDiamondRose January 12, 2010 at 9:20 pm

wow. those are realy nice. and do have a vintage look.
SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..more La Meow! My ComLuv Profile

58 39th & Broadway January 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Happy to see you are holding up. I know the Great Lake area winters all too well. The lake effect snow, the bone chilling wind…. I’ve been wondering how you were handling it. Also, hate to admit it but thermal underwear really does work ;-0
39th & Broadway´s last blog ..Label of Origin My ComLuv Profile