Love ‘em or Leave ‘em : Studs & Spikes

by jennine on January 14, 2010

I try to hate studs. I try to hate spikes, but Jak & Jil keeps pulling me back in.

They started out innocuous enough. Studs. Spikes. It used to be you could only find them at Hot Topic or some bondage shop on Folsom Street,  worn by disgruntled suburban youth and sexual ‘deviants.’ yeah, yeah. But then… studs started seeping into mainstream fashion. I remember the very first time I was floored by them, Louboutin for Rodarte’s studded heels got more lethal one season than the next.

A few years later… and studs are everywhere. They’re still at Hot Topic … I checked this Christmas! Hey, my brother is a skater/motor cross kind of guy. I don’t know what he likes. Anyway… studs… also at Nordstrom’s, Wet Seal, Zara, H&M, Nieman Marcus… and I’m still caught in lust when I see them on Jak & Jil… as noted above. Yeah, a stud crown is different… but aren’t all studded items? After all, studs can quickly communicate, ‘Hey look at me, I’m edgy!’ The fashion equivalent of telling people you’re ‘laid back.’ Take note… if anyone tells you they’re ‘laid back’ be prepared, they’re probably neurotic messes who have occasional lapses of serenity due to medication.

I don’t know.

But in all seriousness, I’m one step away from either going postal with the stud trend, or just buying a  bedazzler and studding everything in sight.

Love 'em or Leave 'em : Studs

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Images via Jak & Jil and style.com

Share and Enjoy:

1 Tami January 14, 2010 at 10:08 pm

For some reason I’ve never been into studs but yeah, if you can pull it off, more power to ya! Maybe it’s because I’ve seen too many folks wearing them in SF. It’s practically a uniform in certain parts of the city.
Tami´s last blog ..Norah Jones The Fall My ComLuv Profile

2 jennine January 14, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I know what part of the city you’re talking about!
;)

3 WendyB January 14, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I like ‘em. I had a pink studded bracelet when I was a teenager :-)
WendyB´s last blog ..Characters Welcome, Fortunately for Us My ComLuv Profile

4 Rachel January 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I might avoid wearing them as frequently now that they are on the brink of being over done. But I don’t think I’ll ever stop wearing them all together.
Rachel´s last blog ..Jean-Paul Gaultier for Target My ComLuv Profile

5 Christa January 14, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Personally, I love spikes. They’re edgy…and dangerous, which is why I never wear them. I’m afraid I would impale myself.
Christa´s last blog ..Current Style My ComLuv Profile

6 Stephanie January 14, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I LOOOOOOVEEE studs and spikes. Maybe I’m still holding onto my teenage punk phases somewhere in my wardrobe, but I’ll never give it up. Evah.
Stephanie´s last blog ..Wishlist Wednesday: Accents My ComLuv Profile

7 Alicia January 15, 2010 at 12:36 am

The jury is STILL out for me. LOL.
Alicia´s last blog ..…iRock… My ComLuv Profile

8 Tamara January 15, 2010 at 2:10 am

I have the same dilemma! But, what can I do? That headband is beautiful plus, I think I will always love those Rodarte shoes…
Tamara´s last blog ..+ Extinction in Technicolor by Gonzalo Cutrina + My ComLuv Profile

9 Alice January 15, 2010 at 3:49 am

I just can’t do the studs and spikes. It is not that I hate them, they look great on some but it is just not me. That is how I feel now but knowing myself and can change. Will see :)

10 Libertad January 15, 2010 at 4:02 am

Love them! I think they’re one of those fashion things that never goes away!
Libertad´s last blog ..Tschüs! My ComLuv Profile

11 Leia January 15, 2010 at 5:17 am

I’ve never really liked them… just not my style!
Leia´s last blog ..Sandro My ComLuv Profile

12 Sally January 15, 2010 at 7:55 am

I will never stop loving studs and spikes. NEVER! (OK, famous last words, but I anticipate adoring them long after they’ve fallen out of favor.)
Sally´s last blog ..Ask the Chics: Fashion in Academia My ComLuv Profile

13 Make Do Style January 15, 2010 at 9:10 am

I’m so so on them but I do get drawn in by the wonderful images and possibilities so it can’t hurt. Anything goes!
Make Do Style´s last blog ..Bringing back blue and brown My ComLuv Profile

14 Nickie Frye January 15, 2010 at 9:52 am

I like them when the punks wear them, but not the posers & fashionistas. I seriously considered buying a Bedazzler for Christmas, though. I decided against it b/c I could foresee myself bedazzling everything from underwear to dishtowels. And then I thought, Woah! Not sure I want to be visible from space. heehee.
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Vintage Capezio Doctor Bag My ComLuv Profile

15 Midtown Girl January 15, 2010 at 11:34 am

On me, spikes would look ridiculous, but for others - rock them if you love them!

A homeless guy once yelled out “Fucking Tranny” to me while I walked passed him wearing a studded pair of booties - it’s official. I have arrived. LOL!

XO Amy
Midtown Girl´s last blog ..Weekends in the City: NYC Shopping Events & More! My ComLuv Profile

16 Amy January 15, 2010 at 11:41 am

Love them!!!
I did purchase a bedazzler a year or so again and at first I went crazy then I slowed down. Maybe it’s time for it to make an appearance. . .
Amy´s last blog ..vintage blouse My ComLuv Profile

17 Megan January 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm

If you can pull them off with confidence, I say go for it. Meanwhile I will stick to softer accessories that beg for a little more touching.
Megan ´s last blog ..Oakland, CA: Buy a Dog, Get One Free My ComLuv Profile

18 grace January 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm

i had a bedazzler back in the day, but sadly, they’re rather shoddy plastic devices and quite space-consuming for things that just push in the prongs on studs. i personally prefer a sturdy pair of pliers. anyway, i voted “leave ‘em” even though i actually love studs. i ordered packs of studs from angry young and poor and put them in hoodies and purses and even textbook covers through my teenage years, so they have a bit of sentimental value. it used to be rare occurrence that i would stumble across studded items in the bland retailers of suburbia, so of course i would snatch it right up.

now, however, the studs trend is so overblown that studs are everywhere and the design aspect of putting studs into something seems a bit arbitrary and lacks imagination. coveting a studded item isn’t as exciting as it used to be. so now… i TRY to leave ‘em.

19 Sheena January 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I think I like them, but only when used in certain ways. Overuse can be a deterrent as well. However, sometimes you find that one item that uses studs and spikes and it looks great.
Sheena´s last blog ..Clandestine Giveaway: Perricone MD Advanced Face Firming Activator My ComLuv Profile

20 Korka January 15, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Ugh.. I’m with some of you: SF stud overload has left me biased against them, unfortunately.
Korka´s last blog ..Want to C my little c? My ComLuv Profile

21 Miss Cavendish January 16, 2010 at 10:34 am

Studs I like, but spikes look better on others. Love the Statue-of-Liberty vibe in the top image.
Miss Cavendish´s last blog ..Daniel Hechter, Cintra Wilson, and Me My ComLuv Profile

22 stacy January 16, 2010 at 11:26 am

I agree w/ Stephanie — I’m probably holding onto my teenage punk years too! And one of these days soon they won’t be such a big trend anymore and then it will be cool again to wear them!
stacy´s last blog .."Rad - ical" My ComLuv Profile

23 Queen Marie January 16, 2010 at 3:05 pm

They scare me a little but wait until you see what Queen Michelle has to show us all on Monday, it might help you decide you truly love them!

Queen Marie
x

24 hewnly January 16, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I don’t care, I LOVE THEM!!

25 Kristen January 16, 2010 at 6:05 pm

whether overdone or just plain out, some things I will just always like and studs and spikes fall into that category. For sure they feel overplayed right now, but if they actually fit in your personal style it’s great to take advantage of the fact that you can find so many different options right now.
Kristen´s last blog ..Fashion Dare: Winter White My ComLuv Profile

26 hanako66 January 17, 2010 at 12:22 am

i don’t mind a few studs here and there, but i really am not a fan of the spike!
hanako66´s last blog ..winterizing dresses My ComLuv Profile

27 susie_bubble January 17, 2010 at 8:19 am

The thing is with studs/spikes is that they’re beautiful shapes in their own right but they’ve become pedestrian by adorning anything and everything…. I don’t necessarily have stud/spike fatigue, just that maybe if they were used in a different context that would be great… or as Kristen said, integrated into your own style, they’re still great.
susie_bubble´s last blog ..Slow Burner My ComLuv Profile

28 enc January 17, 2010 at 9:41 am

I love ‘em, but only in certain circumstances. I already did the spike/stud thing, way back in the ’80s, when it was already a decade old. I won’t wear them myself, but I do like seeing them on others.
enc´s last blog ..Toga, Toga, Toga! My ComLuv Profile