Polaroids from a long time ago…

by jennine on January 27, 2010

I used to have the best Polaroid camera. My ex-husband found it at the bottom of this used-camera bin. It wasn’t like any ol’ Polaroid camera, it had manual or auto focus, adjustable exposure and it was collapsible, and I used it until it took hundreds and hundreds of photos and literally fell apart, in my hands. A very sad moment. That was back in the day when you could still pick up Polaroid film at the drug store..though it was expensive.. I never got much into photography until this camera got into my life…. Something about instant gratification opened a lot of doors for creativity…but then again when does it not?

These photos here were taken from about 1999-2002 during that time my life really opened up, not just with taking photos, but it was also the first time I traveled to Europe (the photo on the bed was taken in Amsterdam) and I decided to go to college after all to live an extraordinary life in London. Things didn’t exactly pan out how like I initially thought… it never does, because life can be pretty extraordinary in the most unexpected ways.

• Posterous

Kwil January 27, 2010 at 5:35 pm

LOVE them :) It’s always so much fun to look back on old photographs.
Kwil´s last blog ..True desire showed its face, but only momentarily My ComLuv Profile

MidtownGirl January 27, 2010 at 6:46 pm

I still have some Polaroids from past auditions (now they all use digital, it’s sad bc we can’t see if the pics came out fabulous or not)…I miss the instant gratification ;-)

jennine January 27, 2010 at 9:55 pm

omg i want to see them!

Rococo Vintage January 27, 2010 at 7:34 pm

This post made me quite nostalgisad (yes, that’s a fictitious word.) I had a pink polaroid camera as a little girl… who knows what cavernous corner of what attic it disappeared into. I’ve been hunting flea markets for a good one, but it’ll take a while, I think, to find just the right match for me. I hope you find a replacement for yours one day soon.

xo,
Rebecca
Rococo Vintage´s last blog ..notes for now: the mending pile of doom and gloom. My ComLuv Profile

jennine January 27, 2010 at 9:54 pm

where do those things go? i have loads of things in random cavernous corners!

Erin January 27, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Thanks for sharing these pictures! I love the look of these photos…I definitely agree that life never happens how you expect it to but you’re right that it can be pretty extraordinary what emerges from the unexpected!
Erin´s last blog ..Trend Watch: Red Hot Shoes My ComLuv Profile

WendyB January 27, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Where’s a picture of your gorgeous hat?
WendyB´s last blog ..Update on Janet, a Blogger in Need My ComLuv Profile

jennine January 27, 2010 at 9:20 pm

quiet you!

Alicia January 27, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Jennine, one day you’re going to have to tell me all about your life’s stories. =D
Alicia´s last blog ..…blanc et noir… My ComLuv Profile

dora January 28, 2010 at 4:27 am

Polaroids give off such a nice vibe. Very nice selection of pictures. I’m feeling all nostalgic now… xx

Nickie Frye January 28, 2010 at 9:04 am

I see polaroid cameras all the time when I’m out shopping for inventory. There’s a shop I visit regularly & they have a whole display case full of them! I’m always so tempted to pick one up, but I’m not sure if you can still get the film?
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Vanilla Fringe Western Boots Women’s Size 39 or 8.5 My ComLuv Profile

SwanDiamondRose January 28, 2010 at 10:05 am

lovely post. definitely unexpected life. definitely love polaroid.
SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..look at that smile! lovely Jennine and yes, her SWANclothing sock garters. My ComLuv Profile

rachel c. January 28, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I used to have an amazing polaroid camera too and my ex-husband accidentally broke it. Oh, the irony! :)
rachel c.´s last blog ..VINTAGE INVENTORY SWAP My ComLuv Profile

Twila January 28, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I have never had a polaroid camera…sad I know, but I just got back from my European adventure and I loved Amsterdam. Riding bikes in the busy bike friendly city was one of the highlights.

Twila

eyeliah January 28, 2010 at 2:40 pm

thanks for sharing these photos (would love to see more). :) You are totally doinf the myspace profile pic in the 4th shot, way ahead of your time.
eyeliah´s last blog ..A Lesson in Shopping My ComLuv Profile

giselle January 29, 2010 at 12:00 am

beautiful.

Mer January 29, 2010 at 6:17 am

Jen, this looks so personal and intimate…It has something of beautiful melancholy I would say…

Have a nice weekend!
Mer´s last blog ..Ganadores 080 Barcelona Fashion – The winners of the 080 award My ComLuv Profile

Alice January 29, 2010 at 8:34 am

The are so heart-warming! They are those kind of pictures that “speak” to you.
Alice´s last blog ..Victorian Style My ComLuv Profile

hanako66 January 29, 2010 at 3:17 pm

these are beautiful! i find that my polaroid pics are often more fun and silly. something about pulling out the camera and knowing that you will have a tangible result makes each shot feel special.
hanako66´s last blog ..Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather My ComLuv Profile

Jessica February 3, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Love these shots and those warm Polaroid colors…so pretty.