Evolving Influence Highlights

by jennine on February 24, 2010

For the third season, I’ve held events for bloggers during fashion week for my other site Independent Fashion Bloggers. Every time, it’s a lot of work, and every time, I’m overwhelmed by how amazing the blogging community is.

Evolving Influence blew my mind. It may have blown everyone’s mind… as newbie bloggers alongside veterans gathered together to talk about the state of the bloggosphere. Putting together the event over the last few months had been one of the greatest challenges in my life, but when I saw all the community come together in real life and generate a spirit of optimism and goodwill, it made all those sleepless nights worth it.

(Bryanboy, Tavi & Susie Bubble talking before the panel…all three are just lovely in real life!)

As bloggers, we sit behind the monitor, typing away at our posts, cultivating our readership and pursuing our unique dream that makes our blogs special. Many times I forget, as I feel like I have no life, that what we’re working on as a community is the beginning of a whole new medium. We are the pioneers, what we do today will shape the future of fashion media. When everyone showed up to the conference, it solidified that it is possible to have a supportive community in fashion, all the talk about cattiness, jealousy, haters didn’t make an appearance that day, as for some time it seemed that the bloggosphere might be going down that path, it’s not. We were so happy to have everyone who couldn’t make it participate, as it was the first time we had ever done a live stream…we ran into some technical issues in the beginning, but sussed it out by the second panel, the livestream got over 2,000 views and all in all there was 2,500 tweets about the conference.

I’d also like to take a minute to thank our sponsors, if it weren’t for them, tickets would have been over $300 a person (as opposed to a $20 suggested donation), and to be honest the way event planning goes, it wouldn’t have been possible at all even if we did charge that much. Our sponsors not only provided us with the money to secure the event space, compensate a qualified team, and get all the bits and pieces together, they also provided support for us, and helped everything run smoothly.

American Express, who also sponsored the two Tweet Ups in the Skybox. G-Star RAW, who first approached us to do this event. Windows 7, who also facilitated a giveaway of four HP laptops to conference attendees. ModCloth, who also dressed a few of our panelists. Degree Women Ultra Clear in Red Satin who also contributed to our gift bags.

I’d also like to thank Wendy Brandes, Jordana Bruner, Julia DiNardo, Ethan Nguyen, Jessica Estrada, Drea Bernardi, Seb White, Yuli Ziv, Tony Wang, Deanne Yee, Dustin Fenstermacher, Anne Colville Somma, Tina Poppy and Pamela Castillo

Thanks to Fiji Water for providing water for us, I know I needed you!

We’re still waiting for the video footage to come in, so I don’t want to go in too deeply about the panels, in case some of you missed the live stream and the conference, but I will give a ‘brief overview’ even though looking at this, I have to say, it’s not that brief…

Photos by Dustin Fenstermacher (except where otherwise stated)

Hehe, this bunny is so cute! Matt Fox from Fine and Dandy is looking dandy.

Tavi was amazingly sweet, every time I have run into her, she’s been eloquent, darling, and very much a 13 year old. She seemed overwhelmed and genuinely excited to be at the conference. Honestly after meeting her in real life, for the second time, some kind of maternal instinct overcame me and not only am I a fan, but feel somehow protective of her. Though she doesn’t need my protection… Wendy Brandes does, after I volunteered to be her body guard at her trunk show!

Shabhankur Ray from G-Star talk with The Clothes Horse, Cali Vintage and Delightfully Tacky, all  great people!

Tina Poppy from Violetville Vintage came out just for the conference! She helped out so much.

Wendy Brandes in the vintage dolla bill dress… I love!

I love the color!

MINX was doing everyone’s nails!

Menswear blogger, Pickles and Coffee!

You can see more photos on the original post on IFB

It was amazing that some of the biggest fashion sites covered the event…and a full listing here

1. Women’s Wear Daily : Fashion’s New Fever : Blogging (front page)
  2. The Cut : Teen Blogger Tavi Wow’s Crowd at Panel Discussion
  3. Teen Vogue : Highlight of the Week Evolving IFB Fashion Blog Conference
  4. Fashionably Marketing Me: The Impact of Fashion Bloggers at Fashion Week

SwanDiamondRose February 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm

yey yey yey! i am so happy to hear it went so well. i get chills actually. i was feeling things taking a negative turn too, and so not want that to be where we go with all this. and so glad to hear about all the positivity. it’s why i started being online. congratulations jennine : )

and loving the dollah bill dress Ms Wendy B!
.-= SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..SWANclothing sewing hint #3. the iPhone dilemma. [5] =-.

Alicia February 24, 2010 at 4:50 pm

These photos are nothing short of amazing. Congrats on a successful conference and hopefully, I’ll be able to make it to the next one. =D

Style (R)evolution February 24, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Congrats!! Looks like an Amazing Experience!
.-= Style (R)evolution´s last blog ..Just another Manic Monday … (Though its Wednesday’s Style Revolution) =-.

DWJ February 24, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I’m glad I had the chance to participate in this fabulous event. I want to be like you Jennine when I grow up ;)
.-= DWJ´s last blog ..Greenwich Letterpress Cards =-.

eli February 24, 2010 at 7:02 pm

That first photo is quite iconic! Still wish I could have gone to this, darnit!

hiyaluv February 24, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I wasn’t able to clear my work schedule to come to NYC for the event but I was able to take a late lunch break and sit in on a live stream panel….I LOVED IT! I ADORED IT! I cannot THANK YOU enough. I learned so much and had so much fun listening to the panelists share their stories, thoughts, and advice. I was so sad that I could not be there however after the first panel I saw (which was the 2nd one of the day) all I could think about was blogging. Ever since all I can think about is blogging. Perhaps it is too early to say-but Evolving Influence changed my life. :)

Will you be planning Evolving Influence 2 for next year or making it an annual event? I will be sure to attend in PERSON this time! LOVED IT so very much! Thank you for all your hard work! :) gina
.-= hiyaluv´s last blog ..Barbie girl, this one’s for you! =-.

Citizen Rosebud February 24, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I’m glad your hard work paid off. It sounds like it was an amazing time. Hope to go to a future conference. I’ll say hi.
.-= Citizen Rosebud´s last blog ..Le Smoking =-.

Style Eyes Fashion Blog February 24, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Well Done for organising such an amazing conference. I agree one of the best things about fashion blogging is the amazing community. Such lovely people.

Alice February 25, 2010 at 5:04 am

Well done, again and again!!!

I am sure the conference gave a lot of bloggers extra enthusiasm and motivation. It might sound as a paradox, but I think bloggers are the most insecure people ever! As you said, we are the pioneers of a new media phenomenon, we put themselves out there every day to be judged and compared, how can you not be insecure? This conference is like a milestone of success!

I can’t wait to have a look at the video footage.
.-= Alice´s last blog ..Thrifted Ralph Lauren Pants =-.

Elsa Lindström February 25, 2010 at 7:19 am

That’s me besides the cute bunny! Blonde with black sweater looking shy or something :) Please visit my blog guys!
.-= Elsa Lindström´s last blog ..Travel Chic: India =-.

Macala Wright February 25, 2010 at 8:25 am

You’re one of the most amazing people I’ve met yet! Thanks Jennine.
.-= Macala Wright´s last blog ..Macala: RT @luxurylab: RT @KentBottles @neuroconscience How Twitter and Facebook Make Us More Productive: http://bit.ly/a4bicj #brain #socialmedia =-.

Cristina February 26, 2010 at 8:03 am

so interesting! i’m actually writing my dissertation on fashion blogs and how consumers (blog readers) are influenced by them! i think they play a HUGE role in fashion communications…so glad that events like this bring the blogging world together :)

AngieMontreal February 26, 2010 at 2:35 pm

WISH I could have been there, hopefully next time! I still owe you an e-mail Jennine, sorry!!!!

parisbreakfast February 27, 2010 at 1:00 am

Oh Yikes I wanna come next year!!
I will wear every stitch of my Sonia at H&M booty.
Does blogging on Paris street fashion sort of count?
I know Wendy B from way back…does that help?
Aieeeeeeee *Fr for Helppppppppppp)
Next yr, next year, I’m ready now

ThatGirl39 February 27, 2010 at 11:35 am

As a newbie to IFB, this event sounded amazing and I’d love to see the video footage. I was in need of a bit of blog love last week after yet another rant against fashion bloggers was launched. Nothing was aimed at me personally so I wondered why I let it get to me at first. I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned above about typing away at posts, cultivating a readership and pursuing a unique dream. Now that I don’t work since my daughter started school, I put as much care and energy into the blog as I would a job. I care about it as I’m sure most bloggers do so I get a bit pee’d off when we get “bashed”! Anyhoo.. I didn’t come here to rant but congratulate you on such an initiative and hope to be able to take part one day. Come and do one in England! x
.-= ThatGirl39´s last blog ..Victoria Beckham Autumn/Winter 2010 Collection =-.