Shoe D’Jour : Vintage Yves Saint Laurent

by jennine on March 2, 2010

vintage ysl bow shoes

Shoes are so funny, styles go in and out of all the time. Mostly, not in any major way, but in the small details, a curve of a heel, the subtle shape of the toe, how much toe does it show… I had a pair of YSL stilettos for the longest time, but sold them because they didn’t show enough toe cleavage, and I thought they were too matronly. D’oh! And I sold a pair of second season Miu Miu loafers because square toes were out. Double d’oh! Ok, I’ve sold a lot of designer shoes for random reasons. When will I learn? Most often designer shoes will come back in one way or another… and even if they don’t they’re usually made with such care and beauty, it doesn’t matter if they are in style or not, they’re just good shoes to have.

Yesterday, I stopped by one of my favorite super secret shopping spots, because it’s the one place that never fails to deliver the one unique thing to add to my collection. The one thing that I couldn’t resist were these cute little vintage Yves Saint Laurent suede French heels with satin bows. The shape is not what’s in style now, not your ankle breakers, killer heels, but the cuteness of these darlings caught my eyes. They have a certain antique feeling about them, super narrow and high cut, they would be perfect to wear with a lace dress and perhaps a pair of pantaloons, or a bustle. Of course the quality of the shoe makes them feel as comfortable as a pair of socks, a quality even the best mid-market shoe can’t compare.

These will be perfect for walking around the city…well, once it stops raining!

Ashe Mischief March 2, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I bet some steampunk or historical re-enactors would hurt you for those shoes!
.-= Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..B&Lu $100 Gift Certificate Giveaway! =-.

jennine March 2, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Haha, Maybe I want to re-enact Dangerous Liasons or Marie Antoinette!
I should carry around a tiny gun in my powdered wig!

Nina March 2, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Stunning!

Rice and Beans Vintage March 2, 2010 at 12:34 pm

OMG! I love these! I used to collect Vintage YSL shoes and had the same ones except with a higher heel! Great find!

ThatGirl39 March 2, 2010 at 12:48 pm

They are beautiful! They would go so well with my new tapered trousers from Zara! I think well made shoes are always a good keeper - at some point they become wearable again. At least that’s what I tell my husband in order to get him to understand why I keep all my shoes. That and the fact that one day, my daughter might like them.
.-= ThatGirl39´s last blog ..A Short Story =-.

jennine March 3, 2010 at 2:10 pm

oooh tapered trousers… that never even occurred to me!

Imelda Matt March 2, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I wont be surprised if we see a variation of that thick louis heel trot down the runways of Paris. But I’ll always remember that it was on your trots where I saw it first!
.-= Imelda Matt´s last blog ..TRAFFIC ISN’T THE ONLY INFURIATING TREND IN MILAN =-.

jennine March 3, 2010 at 3:38 pm

haha that would be awesome to be one of the few who ‘called it first.’
we’ll see!

Style Revolution March 2, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Gorgeous shoes!!!
.-= Style Revolution´s last blog ..La Dolce Gabbana is La Dolce Vida =-.

Mary Beth Alessandri March 2, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Love it! I have something similar I keep in my private collection hidden away in my Schiaparelli Hat Box.. it is half patent and half embossed fabric with a bow… Quite a find… enjoy!!

Jennifer March 2, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I love your treatment of the shoes. You speak of them in such a loving way. The shoes are stunning and I’m sure you will find so many ways to wear them.
.-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Things To Be Happy For =-.

Lauren March 2, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I love them, the bow is especially cute. I found a lovely pair of incredibly stylish vintage YSL heels on eBay the other month and for some reason didn’t buy them… I am dramatically regretting that now!
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..What I Wore | Countryside Florals =-.

WendyB March 2, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Jennine, haven’t you learned from me that everything needs to be kept AT LEAST ten years?
.-= WendyB´s last blog ..Belated New York Fashion Week Tales =-.

Emily the Panda March 2, 2010 at 5:29 pm

those shoes are beautiful!
.-= Emily the Panda´s last blog ..i want mondays =-.

Leslie March 2, 2010 at 5:35 pm

So happy to have you back in SF! I hope one day you give us city insiders an idea of what store you’re keeping super secret… I’m trying to get a feel for thrift/vintage stores here. Digging around I’ve found a bunch — trying to compile them so I don’t forget when I set out to find something fabulous! Fairly new reader to your blog, love it!

Retro Threadz March 2, 2010 at 7:02 pm

those are beautiful. I love the bows
.-= Retro Threadz´s last blog ..vintage 60s Mod CANDY APPLE RED Tall Patent GoGo Corset Boots knee high size 8 =-.

Nickie Frye March 2, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Super cute! I’d love to see them w/ a bright tight.
.-= Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Vintage Jumpsuit Turquoise =-.

DesignerElla March 2, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Ahhhh, I want ribbon bows on shoes. :-)

Ooh and I want to design bustles someday. Haha.
.-= DesignerElla´s last blog ..SiteNews: 404 Page Article Suggestions Fixed =-.

Terry March 2, 2010 at 8:22 pm

fabulously vintage!
.-= Terry´s last blog ..Pink and Brown Wedding Flowers - Pink Champagne Truffle =-.

enc March 2, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Those were a superb find, Jennine. If they were mine, I’d wear them everywhere, mostly with dresses and skirts that stopped at my knees or above, and I wouldn’t give a dang if they are in style or not. How lovely they’d look with a ’30s or ’40s dress. I wouldn’t mind that much vintage all at once.
.-= enc´s last blog ..This E-Mail Exchange with WendyB Made Me Laugh My Head Off =-.

Nathalie P March 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Those a darling (and this is the first time I’ve ever used the word ‘darling’).
.-= Nathalie P´s last blog ..‘pretty’ is a now a noun =-.

SarahJayne @ Goldmine Trash March 3, 2010 at 2:58 am

Ooooh, nice! I like low chunky heels since I can actually *walk in them*. lol
.-= SarahJayne @ Goldmine Trash´s last blog ..BABY SAY UNH! =-.

propriatress March 3, 2010 at 3:46 am

oh yes those YSL’s are perfect in every way……oh Romance ! on the feet. I agree. Keep well-made shoes. I tried to sell, for 2 years, a pair of Andrew Geller alligator pumps with the 60s “button” on the toe a la Vivier for Belle du Jour, (speaking of YSL)…..but no takers! Ha, now I’m gonna just keep them……they are mine mine mine forev’…

Casey March 3, 2010 at 6:15 am

These are amazing! I love how they look so perfectly 17th/18th century, but with a bit of an updated edge. Seriously fantastic!

♥ Casey
blog | elegantmusings.com
.-= Casey´s last blog ..guide to sewing: the tools =-.

Mousevox Vintage March 3, 2010 at 6:23 am

Oh my gosh. These are absolutely perfect!
.-= Mousevox Vintage´s last blog ..MONDAY, MONDAY =-.

Kristen March 3, 2010 at 9:34 am

they are really great and you are right, they have a real feeling of antiquity.
I can’t wait to see them matched up with an outfit so we get the full effect.
.-= Kristen´s last blog ..Pearls of Wisdom: Best Costumes Ever… =-.

Citizen Rosebud March 3, 2010 at 9:48 am

Those are wonderful shoes! Chic, classic and a bit old timey. I would sleep in those shoe, they are soooo lovely.
.-= Citizen Rosebud´s last blog ..In the Moment =-.

Janine March 3, 2010 at 11:36 am

These shoes are great!! Really lovely :)
.-= Janine´s last blog ..sunsunsun =-.

Vic March 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I’ll say! I’m so tired of the rain, wind and cold! Time for warmth, sunshine and shopping! Cute shoes….comfy loooking;)
.-= Vic´s last blog ..Living Elegantly =-.

TallShortGirl @ Stilettos March 7, 2010 at 10:39 am

I’m thinking of pilgrim shoes when I see these…
.-= TallShortGirl @ Stilettos´s last blog ..Naked! Taupe! Tan! Accessories for Spring 2010! Some favorites… =-.

Korka March 7, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I agree with Leslie. It’s great to have you back in SF, Jeannine!
Please keep some SF tips coming our way, you are so shopping savy it’s not even funny.
(I saw you wearing that dress in a different post and I bought it right away, it’s so darling - Perhaps I’m as moved by the city as you are…)
.-= Korka´s last blog ..If You Want to Destroy My Sweater =-.

Vic March 10, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Those do look comfie and probably will be awesome for walking around town! Can I ask how much you got them for? Love them!
.-= Vic´s last blog ..Japanese Hair Straightening =-.