Crusin’ the Vintage Fashion Expo

by jennine on March 23, 2010

A few months ago, I was seriously thinking I lost my vintage mojo. For real! I don’t know what it was, because I love vintage shops everywhere, I’ve always worn vintage clothing, I always like it on other people, and I love the vintage community…but I was just telling someone I might be over it. Well… I was wrong. I’m not over it. This past weekend, the Vintage Fashion Expo came to town, it comes a couple of times a year, alternating between Santa Monica and San Francisco. The last time I went was way back when The Coveted was a few WEEKS old, and picked one of my wardrobe’s key pieces, the romantic scenes tapestry bag. This time around, Rocky came with me and we were looking for clothes for him and I wanted to browse around…though to be honest, we’re looking more for housewares than clothing (hence the lack of shopping posts, I’m spending all my spare internet hours gallivanting in the home decor world). Well, it goes without saying, it was a stellar treat to walk around all the pretty girly things…and no, I didn’t walk away empty handed! Come back tomorrow, as I do have a wonderful piece that might well be this year’s key piece.

Here’s one of the dresses I was drooling over… it’s like a candy wrapper, only silk chiffon with baby blue velvet buttons. It almost fit…but not enough to buy…

We ran into JT Paradox and Dyanna Pure of THE SF STYLE blog…and they took a photo of us! I’m off duty, and not looking my best, but it was still nice of them to take the photo…Rocky on the other hand looked darling with his western chambray shirt with dark jeans and a vintage leather jacket.

I’m always drooling over vintage jewelry!

Lately, I’ve been craving (a) vintage art for the home and (b) vintage handbags that are big enough to fit my wallet, a lipstick and my iPhone. Here is a picture of both…

I always get a little excited over things over-the-top girly… even though in my wildest dreams I would never decorate my home like this…

There wasn’t very much menswear things there, but I did spot a table of clip-on bow-ties. Lately I’ve been trying to get Rocky to wear a bow-tie, as he can pull stuff like that off if he wanted to… one day. He’s at least trying it on in the morning…we just have to get him to walk out of the house in one!

Share and Enjoy:

1 Carla March 23, 2010 at 11:44 am

I think I fell head over heels for that dress! All of those colours remind me of those gum drops you’d get on wax paper!

2 jennine March 23, 2010 at 4:27 pm

those are gum drops? i never ate those!

3 Carla March 23, 2010 at 5:12 pm

well there color dotted candies, but I call them gumdrops hahah:)
Carla´s last blog ..see. My ComLuv Profile

4 Ashe Mischief March 23, 2010 at 11:45 am

Oh lady, I SO hear you on the coveting housewares instead of clothing & accessories…
Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..I go out on Friday night, I come home on Saturday morning My ComLuv Profile

5 jennine March 23, 2010 at 4:32 pm

yeah, there’s a toilet brush cat i have my eye on!

6 Alexandra March 23, 2010 at 11:49 am

I love that SF painting, where are you going to put it??
Alexandra´s last blog ..Breeyn McCarney F/W 2010 My ComLuv Profile

7 jennine March 23, 2010 at 4:34 pm

oh i didn’t get it… one day!

8 Midtown Girl March 23, 2010 at 11:52 am

You took some great pics! Did the vendors give you any issues while you took the pics? Bc during my visit to the Manhattan Vintage Clothing Show last year, so many of them wouldn’t let me take pics of their fabulous stock (and I told them I would link to their store)..

I posted the ones who let me take pics, here - http://midtowngirl.com/2009/10/manhattan-vintage-clothing-show-pics.html

I loved the show, but wish I could have gotten a more friendly response ;-)

9 jennine March 23, 2010 at 4:35 pm

oh dear, we were talking about that at the show, like i want to take photos for the blog, but i don’t know what’s going to make it until the post comes out…so you can’t guarantee a post, unless you’re absolutely sure… sometimes at these shows it’s hardly worth the effort to make the introduction…

10 Angeline Evans March 23, 2010 at 11:57 am

Love those finds! I just started really getting into vintage shopping — a lack of good finds has discouraged me in the past — but I got some great stuff this weekend (purse, belt, earrings). Wish I’d known about this in SF…it’s within driving distance! Will be looking for it to come again someday…
Angeline Evans´s last blog ..It’s not you, it’s me My ComLuv Profile

11 jennine March 23, 2010 at 4:36 pm

yeah, vintage has gotten expensive lately, but i’ve been lucky lately.. i rarely spend over 3 digits on vintage…

12 Mousevox Vintage March 23, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Oh, gosh. This looks amazing. And so do you! xo.
Mousevox Vintage´s last blog ..MONDAY, MONDAY My ComLuv Profile

13 Nickie Frye March 23, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I missed the show. :( And a friend even left me a comp ticket at the door. Boo Hoo! I love that Golden Gate Bridge painting. Fabulous.
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Pleated Hippie Blouse My ComLuv Profile

14 jennine March 23, 2010 at 4:36 pm

oh man! i had my eye out for you!

15 PixelHazard March 23, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I’ve found it really hard these days to get nice vintage stuff. It’s become so competitive!
PixelHazard´s last blog ..Burgundy winters My ComLuv Profile

16 WendyB March 23, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Didn’t find any Ossie Clark for me?
WendyB´s last blog ..Introducing the Asterisk Ring My ComLuv Profile

17 Macy March 23, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Nice blog…. come check out mine at http://www.theonlinefashionstylist.blogspot.com

18 Macy March 23, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Nice blog… check out mine at http://www.theonlinefashionstylist.blogspot.com

19 ...love Maegan March 23, 2010 at 6:10 pm

What do you mean “Off duty and not looking my best” YOU LOOK GORGEOUS! :) …oh how I love vintage. Those shoes. to die.
…love Maegan´s last blog ..Long Sheer {Lace} Skirt DIY My ComLuv Profile

20 the clothing menu March 23, 2010 at 6:48 pm

oo - good finds! that vintage ring is amazing - i want that!
the clothing menu´s last blog ..new clothing line alert! My ComLuv Profile

21 Sandra @ DebutanteClothing March 23, 2010 at 7:00 pm

So i totally f-ed up and forgot to announce the SF Vintage Expo on my blog. Some vintage blogger I am! Great pics!! I love those shoes. Rocky can totally pull off the denim on denim!

22 jennine March 24, 2010 at 11:37 am

oh dear…well it’s not like it’s near by!

23 Angie March 23, 2010 at 8:03 pm

The candy rainbow dress!! It doesn’t look like it would have fit me either, but it would have been covered in my drool as well.
Angie´s last blog .. My ComLuv Profile

24 Chelsea March 23, 2010 at 8:28 pm

So many great photos!
Chelsea´s last blog ..SXSW 2010 Adventures My ComLuv Profile

25 alexandra keller March 23, 2010 at 10:43 pm

i really need to go there one of these days! only a short flight away
alexandra keller´s last blog ..seven My ComLuv Profile

26 Robyn March 23, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I LOVE Vintage jewelry. Most of my favorite pieces are from these random stores in Ohio where my cousins live. They live way in the middle of nowhere, where thrifting isn’t trendy yet, so I’ve found all kinds of hidden treasures for cheap. Ka-ching! (Believe it or not, that’s the second time I’ve uttered that phrase today…)
Robyn´s last blog ..Lakme Fashion Week featuring GUEST BLOGGER Shot Couture! My ComLuv Profile

27 jennine March 24, 2010 at 11:39 am

hahah, i say ’sweet’ all the time, it kind of makes me feel like a frat boy. yikes! but aren’t those shops the greatest? so had to get to though…

28 l'habitué March 24, 2010 at 6:07 am

Vintage jewellery is also my favorite vintage.
That ring is gorgeous! I wish I could go to that expo!

l’habitué´s last blog ..TEMPEST My ComLuv Profile

29 enc March 24, 2010 at 6:44 am

You showed some beautiful things here, Jennine. I get your penchant for vintage— I love it, but usually have a difficult time fitting into it. Bags are easy, though—no fit problems!
enc´s last blog ..Poll #67: Choose the Superior Model My ComLuv Profile

30 Hot Summer Finds March 24, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I love vintage for the home! It just brings that flare and a little history to your pad. Vintage clothes I find do not look that great on me for some reason, i dunno but it might just be my style lol
either way i loved your finds!
Hot Summer Finds´s last blog ..Hot Summer Finds My ComLuv Profile

31 Good girl gone blog March 24, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I hope he decides to wear the bow tie- they’re so fun…if worn correctly ;)
Good girl gone blog´s last blog ..Confessions of a fashion intern: grit and glamor My ComLuv Profile