Fool’s Gold: Metallic Trends

by jennine on April 1, 2010

Good god, can you believe it’s April Fool’s day? Wow!

Have you been tricked yet?  I haven’t, unless you count the way I trick myself into getting out of bed every morning.

Well, you know how yesterday, I was foraging around my closet and noticed how many gold, metallic accessories I have in my closet…this is just the tip of the iceberg:

I got these gold heels at a Mascara Vintage private sale…they’re like Barbie shoes!
One thing I really love is the typography on vintage shoes.

Oddly enough, Refinery29 also posted about the “Metallic Trend.” Are metallics a trend? I’ve always had something a bit metallic in my wardrobe. Trends are funny, people seem to throw that word around a lot. Like, I saw two brown haired ladies the other day… it must be a trend! Brunettes are going to be HUGE this autumn!

Perhaps I should look in my closet and see how many trends I have going on in my closet already… who knows what’s going on there.

How do you define a trend?

Is it even important to you?

Ashley J April 1, 2010 at 10:21 am

I love your gold belt with the knotted accent on it…fabulous!
.-= Ashley J´s last blog ..Two of My Recent Purchases!! =-.

Kristina | Pretty Shiny Sparkly April 1, 2010 at 10:26 am

I definitely feel like anybody can call something a trend…it’s harder to disprove than to prove, you know? I think the real difference is when you cite different sources (fashion shows, magazines, etc) that contribute to that notion.
.-= Kristina | Pretty Shiny Sparkly´s last blog ..A Very Vogue Alice in Wonderland =-.

jennine April 1, 2010 at 11:24 am

that’s interesting, so do you think you’re able to spot trends as they are starting to come together? even before the magazines?

verhext April 1, 2010 at 10:36 am

I try not to believe in trends — just because designers & shops want to sell more metallics this season, and people will buy them, causing more visibility, doesn’t mean that those who just plain LIKE them will stop wearing them when next season the designers want to sell neutrals. Blogs and magazines create a false sense of “collective unconscious” - are we all REALLY feeling the needs for metallics (or stripes, or whatever) or is it the power of suggestion and mob mentality?
.-= verhext´s last blog ..magpie palette no. 3 =-.

jennine April 1, 2010 at 11:34 am

It might be a little of both… and I’m not sure if the media is doing it to control people or to be the first to ‘call it’ therefore being a more essential resource to their readers. and the collective unconscious might be the side effect. either way, the term might be used a little too losely, as many of the trends have been around, and have never gone out of style… while many other things like skinny jeans, or boot cuts or what have you tend to circulate much more.

Angeline Evans April 1, 2010 at 10:39 am

I feel like a trend is something that won’t last, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun to try out. And sometimes trends turn into lasting things (all I wore in elementary schools was leggings with giant t-shirts, and what do you know, it’s back! why?)
.-= Angeline Evans´s last blog ..A day late, a dollar short =-.

jennine April 1, 2010 at 11:37 am

oh my… everything comes back! though i do remember a time when i thought ‘this is it.. this will be in style FOREVER!’
and was so, so wrong.

wishfulnals April 1, 2010 at 11:29 am

woohoo to april!
.-= wishfulnals´s last blog ..thursday love =-.

Tami April 1, 2010 at 11:35 am

I don’t really go with most fleeting trends. Stick with what you like (and look good in) and that’s trendy enough for me. Love those shoes btw. (haven’t been tricked yet, but I fooled the BF, hahaha)
.-= Tami´s last blog ..Spring Frocks From Kara Janx =-.

Sheena April 1, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Love those metallic heels! I really don’t try to go with the trends, although I might like items that are considered trendy. For example, oxfords are pretty trendy right now and while I hate to say I’m falling into the trendy, I really want a pair. But if I know that it’s a trendy that’s not flattering for me or simply don’t like, then I won’t latch on.
.-= Sheena´s last blog ..Welcome to her world:My Janelle Monae live show experience. =-.

WendyB April 1, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Ugh, I hope I’m not going to be huge this autumn. Maybe I SHOULD stop eating a Cadbury bar every day!
.-= WendyB´s last blog ..Book Club: A Distant Mirror, Part II =-.

R. Coco April 1, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I love the typography on vintage shoes, too!! Details like that are a part of what makes vintage items so special, and what makes new items really stand out from the crowd. I actually got some vintage gold rhinestone Polly’s recently that remind me of these, I wore them recently on my birthday! Shiny shoes are so much fun :)

xxo.
rococovintage.blogspot.com
.-= R. Coco´s last blog ..we didn’t need dialogue… we had FACES. =-.

Ella Mode April 1, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Ha ha, it’s kind of like, “Omgosh I have denim.” Ugh, the denim thang makes me want to buy gray skinny jeans instead of denim or even black. Take me away from normal jeans right now, ha ha.

I mean in terms of buying new ones, I’ll wear what I got! ;-)
.-= Ella Mode´s last blog ..Lady Gaga + Linda Farrow Sunglass Designs = __ Photos of Indicative Styles =-.

Clare April 1, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Those shoes are to die for… I hope I haven’t been tricked, the only thing I did before 12 today of any importance was have a blood test, that would just be mean!

tweet tweet tweet

x

Casey April 1, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I agree with what Verhext said; I try to ignore the “trends” and not be too caught up in the mania! ;) This thought also struck me while I was reading your post: are there really “trends” anymore, in the classic sense of the word? It seems to me that with the more frenzied/fast pace of fashion (due in large to the ability to spread information/styles/ideas quickly via the ‘net and other forms of communication technology), that trends really don’t seem to come and go quite as much as they used to.
.-= Casey´s last blog ..the secret to perfect patch pockets =-.

Robyn April 1, 2010 at 11:55 pm

I agree- how can metallics be a trend? They’re around every season! I basically treat them like neutrals… I mean, I’m not going to walk around in an outfit made entirely of gold lame or anything, but some metallic shoes go with everything!

I don’t even know what counts as a “trend” these days. I think it’s easier to see in retrospect- at the moment, we’re not sure which things will stick around and which will pass, right?

Robyn
chichisaysrobyn.blogspot.com
.-= Robyn´s last blog ..Funsies Friday! =-.

DailyDivaDish April 2, 2010 at 6:18 am

I agree with Casey about the fact that in our “instant info” world it seems there are no longer just a few trends that come and go each season.

I think much of the shift has come from the accessibility of fashion shows and from fashion bloggers. Now we can all see the shows - either in photos or live-streaming. Plus we have a world of bloggers, each with their own personalities, reporting on the looks they liked from the shows, etc… Gone are the days of a few fashion magazines setting the tone for the season. These days, women seem to feel more empowered to be themselves and make their own choices.

The occasional trend may be good thing in the fact that it gets many of us to try something we hadn’t previously considered. Only if I think a trend looks good on me - I might give it a shot. However, most of the time I’m content to do my own thing.
XO Piper
.-= DailyDivaDish´s last blog ..My DIY Necklace =-.

CALICO April 3, 2010 at 8:02 am

Seriously, Jennine.

Stop showing off your ridic Jessica Simpson Dany’s that none of us slow-on-the-trend-uptake bloggers can find ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!
;)
.-= CALICO´s last blog ..Spring into it! =-.

Alicia April 3, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Metallics are more of a neutral with attitude for me. They’ll never not be “trendy.”
.-= Alicia´s last blog ..…a boombox is not a toy… =-.

Ishii April 4, 2010 at 7:00 am

Nobody can trick me, heheh
.-= Ishii´s last blog ..National Exam, done! =-.

{ 1 trackback }