Chambray Jumpsuit & Clogs: Why Say Never?

by jennine on April 22, 2010

Post image for Chambray Jumpsuit & Clogs: Why Say Never?

If the old adage ‘never say never’ in fashion… why the heck are people always saying never, never and NEVER. They even add in things like ‘not in a million years.’ ‘wouldn’t be caught dead.’ or ‘wouldn’t touch it with a ten-foot pole.’

It’s madness… even I do it. Scoff at one thing one day, only to cuddle it the next. It’s a dysfunctional relationship, if fashion were a person, it’d have to be the most ridiculously co-dependent doormat ever. I mean it’s not like a pair of shoes is going to tell you to ‘fuck off’ because the way you made fun of them at a party last week. No, the pair of shoes will go on your feet, maybe you give you a blister for being an ass.

“Never is the next new thing”
~Wendy Brandes says in this post.

I’ve said, I’m not going back to American Apparel, and I did. They didn’t block me at the door, telling me I couldn’t come in after I sneered at their ridiculous advertising. I said I was too old to wear things like jumpsuits (but have worn them over and over). I’ve said millions of times, I couldn’t do the hippie 70′s thing (which includes clogs) and I got clogs. I’ve also said I’d never wear this popcorn sweater again..that it was going to the incinerator after seeing a particularly unflattering picture of me wearing it.

And here it is. I did go to American Apparel (granted for my husband) and I did see this chambray jumpsuit and I love it. It’s comfortable and sassy. I did buy the Miu Miu clogs, and wore them. And the popcorn sweater, I still wear it. So why do I say never? Beats the heck out of me…

Jumpsuit: American Apparel • Sweater: Rebecca Taylor • Necklace: Nordstrom Rack • Shoes: Miu Miu • Bag: Vintage • Cuff: Market Publique • Sunglasses: Cynthia Rowley

Deepti April 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm

You look fantastic !!
.-= Deepti´s last blog ..Hello Boston =-.

Tami April 22, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I’ve also said never to jumpsuits. But you pulled it off quite well! I hope those clogs were easy enough to walk around in!
.-= Tami´s last blog ..Earth Day Giveaway: Lancome Juicy Tubes 100% Natural Origin =-.

jennine April 22, 2010 at 12:25 pm

yep, they were juuust fine, i walked up and down nob hill a few times just to make sure!

holier than now April 22, 2010 at 12:19 pm

omg that hill scares me!

it’s funny bc i almost bought that chambray jumpsuit but i was afraid … must rethink : ) too bad i sold my Jeffrey Campbell clogs

jennine April 22, 2010 at 12:26 pm

haha, that hill isn’t even the steepest in a three block radius of my home.

vinti April 22, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Sweety blue!!!!
I love your shoes - must have for me!!!!

xoxo
kikiwhite.blogspot.com

Marissa April 22, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I’m constantly saying never when it comes to fashion and taking it back. First it was to skinny jeans and leggings, and we all know how that turned out! Then it was rompers, yet there’s one hanging in my closet that I love. I’m afraid that clogs and overalls are next.

jennine April 22, 2010 at 4:14 pm

oh yeah, i live in my skinnies now! it’ll be interesting to see what’s next for sure!

Midtown Girl April 22, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Ohhhh American Apparel. I always get distracted by their ads with the model’s strange body contortions, but I have to say - they do a great job with classic casual wear!!!

jennine April 22, 2010 at 5:14 pm

yeah, it’s a bit creepy, that an everyone who works in the shop looks 12.

Julia April 22, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I always said I dislike the colour pink and wouldn’t wear it, yet I recently bought a pale pink jumpsuit that I’m falling in love with..photos of it in my blog! I’ve also said I hate florals-wonder when I’ll start wearing that?!
.-= Julia´s last blog ..The Pink Playsuit =-.

jennine April 22, 2010 at 5:17 pm

hahaha EXACTLY… i’ve said that about pink…but see my previous few posts… very, very pink.

Ashley J April 22, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I love the jumpsuit AND the purse-cutie cute!
.-= Ashley J´s last blog ..Fashionable Friends =-.

hiyaluv April 22, 2010 at 2:24 pm

oh i love chambray and that jumpsuit is fabulous!
bravo to you!
smiles,
gina
.-= hiyaluv´s last blog ..missing you =-.

Lindsay {Shrimp} April 22, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I couldn’t agree more with your ‘never say never’ argument! I’ve definitely found myself wincing at some snarky remark I’ve made about a certain style, just as I’m slipping in on for a night on the town, of course…! Also - I absolutely love the popcorn sweater !!!
.-= Lindsay {Shrimp}´s last blog ..handmade feature | etsy printmakers =-.

jennine April 22, 2010 at 5:18 pm

hahah why does that always happen?

Sheena April 22, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I’ve learned to never say never myself. Just when you think you swear something off, it pulls you right back in. I think the entire outfit is very cute and glad you went back on saying never :)
.-= Sheena´s last blog ..All inclusive clothing on Etsy =-.

jennine April 22, 2010 at 5:19 pm

just like the mafia. ;)

WendyB April 22, 2010 at 2:52 pm

This makes my day, of course.
.-= WendyB´s last blog ..Outfit Post: Some Things Old, Some Things Blue =-.

jennine April 22, 2010 at 5:19 pm

you made my day!

...love Maegan April 22, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I said it too about denim shirts ….you look adorable!
.-= …love Maegan´s last blog ..Earth Hour 2010 on Earth Day =-.

Pixelhazard April 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Yes i have definately learn the never say never rule after play suits and seeing denim on denim…I think i can definatively say never to one thing though and that has to be crocs. I just dont understand the appeal
.-= Pixelhazard´s last blog ..Hot and sweet =-.

m.fay April 23, 2010 at 5:57 am

i said i would never wear wide-legged pants…or glitter nail polish, or my mother’s gold jewlery. now, I can’t get enough. oh, and you look every so fab my dear in your “never ever”

m.fay
amateurcouture.com
.-= m.fay´s last blog ..green goddess =-.

enc April 23, 2010 at 6:36 am

Thank goodness you threw out “never” and put all these pieces together; this is my favorite look yet for you! Thanks for showing us!

dora.et.labora April 23, 2010 at 6:42 am

I LOVE your post! It cracked me up :)
You are so right with the whole ‘never-attitude’. I was blogging about gladiator soles the other day - a type of shoe that I wasn’t going to be seen dead in. Last year.
This year it’s: welcome to my life!

I hope you will be saying ‘never’ to loads more things because every little detail in this outfit is absolutely gorgeous!! The jumpsuit, the cardie, not to mention the necklace!

Perhaps, ‘never’ is the idea of fashion. As you are experimenting and re-inventing styles, you are treading on a very thin line of ‘plain shit’ and ‘shit hot’. It’s only ever the people who keep wearing the ‘forever’ outfits who are missing out. Don’t you reckon?

Nadine April 23, 2010 at 7:09 am

Your Miu Miu clogs are great and you’ll get tonnes of use from them - are they comfy?
.-= Nadine´s last blog ..Bruno Frisoni Shoes…. =-.

Sabine April 23, 2010 at 8:29 am

You are so right. The most challenging on that level is Mrs Prada who constantly comes up with ideas - lace, cat prints, clogs - I feel I could NEVER EVER wear. But a few months later I love them. I think I’ve learned my lesson now. Suit and clogs are looking fabulous on you. Which just goes to show…
.-= Sabine´s last blog ..Don’t Smoke It, Wear It =-.

Glendy April 23, 2010 at 8:39 am

Fab shoes!!! Girl you def look clog-a-licious, lol. The jumpsuit looks very chic on you :D

Much love always,
Glendy <3
.-= Glendy´s last blog ..The Old Is Now The New – Monica Bellucci by Helmut Newton =-.

Bella April 23, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I’m loving Chambray at the moment! If done right, it looks so good. But there are certain trends I just know I can’t make work because of my body type (anything empire-waisted, for example).
.-= Bella´s last blog ..OOTD: Yarrrr Matey =-.

ingrid April 24, 2010 at 3:16 pm

jumpsuit plus clogs nothing can go wrong… u look amazing and beautiful
.-= ingrid´s last blog ..Através da janela, um frágil pedaço de sol repousa nos teus pés. Como na vida, ainda que não vejamos, podemos avançar para a Primavera =-.

Sandra April 26, 2010 at 7:13 am

You look great in the jumsuit. Adorable outfit! But I would definitely say “NEVER, EVER’ to this clogs. I don’t like them at all. Clogs, will never find a home in my wardrobe.
.-= Sandra´s last blog ..The It Girl: Louise Ebel =-.

Jonell M April 30, 2010 at 6:07 am

Lovely jumpsuit. And the clogs…my oh my, what lovely embroidery I see!
.-= Jonell M´s last blog ..Dressing your Wounds =-.

meg, reckless daughter May 3, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I love this! so true - never say never!

Bloggerbuff May 10, 2010 at 12:42 pm

i love the bag!!

Imelda Matt May 13, 2010 at 1:38 am

HOLY FUCK! Amazing photograph!

OK, so I’m choosing to ignore the clogs and focus on the chambray jumpsuit and the lead photography…smokin’ haute J
.-= Imelda Matt´s last blog ..SAINT AUGUSTINE DRAWS BLOOD =-.

Tiffany Adams August 10, 2010 at 8:38 pm

OMG Those Clogs are adorable!!!!! I only wish I could pull off a jumpsuit as well :(

{ 4 trackbacks }

• Links à la Mode | When Fashion Gets Ethical « A Typical Atypical
  • Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup — dramatis personae
  • Fashion News: This Weeks Best Style Blog Posts | Handbag Blog from HandbagHeaven.com
  • Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup | Style eyes Fashion Blog