Mystery Mister

by jennine on May 24, 2010

As much fun vintage shopping online can be, sometimes you just can’t beat visiting a vintage shop in real life. It’s hard to say when I  first came across Graciela, who used to own Guys and Dolls in Noe Valley, was it the times I would browse around drooling over the gorgeous vintage dresses, or was it when I finally bought a leather and fur coat from her at the Deco Show a couple of years ago. My friend Jim mentioned she reopened a shop on Haight Street, and yesterday we went to go visit the new location, Mystery Mister. This new shop is something else, kind of like visiting a grandma’s attic without the musky smell. I loved all the accessories, at reasonable prices (most in the $20-$60 range), hand-carved wooden brooches, antique keys and anchors (one I had to buy, more on that soon). The odd antique decor gave me loads of inspiration of what to do with my minimalistic home. And the clothes, most of it mid-century, I felt was in great condition and decently priced. There is also a menswear section, with dead stock ties and and other mens-y accessories. It certainly is a place for those who love detail, and a treat for the eye.

Mystery Mister
1506 Haight Street
San Francisco, CA

• Posterous

Michele G. May 24, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Great article - I love the photography!

Ashe MIschief May 24, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I just had the equivalent of an online second glance (and drool). That eyelet capelet? God. Swoon. How beautiful. (Now I’m plotting ways to reconstruct it in my head…)
Ashe MIschief´s last blog ..Indie Designers: SWANClothing My ComLuv Profile

jennine May 24, 2010 at 5:07 pm

yes, that is an eyelet capelet! crazy huh? i wish i could pull something like that off…you can make this kind of thing? wow!

Iva May 24, 2010 at 3:11 pm

wow! this place is beautiful! I would love to visit! Maybe I can check it out this weekend!!
Iva´s last blog ..DIY Fabric Bracelets My ComLuv Profile

jennine May 24, 2010 at 5:08 pm

yeah, do! i hardly ever make it down to haight, so it was a treat to see something pretty yet grown up.

Madeleine Gallay May 24, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Indie and nice. Love these finds.
Madeleine Gallay´s last blog ..A Week Of Reflection, A Very Good Week My ComLuv Profile

Citizen Rosebud May 24, 2010 at 5:45 pm

The shop looks fantastic. I need to put this on my itinerary for my next SF visit.
Citizen Rosebud´s last blog ..My Blog is Carbon-Neutral My ComLuv Profile

Nadine May 25, 2010 at 5:13 am

Fantastic photos - love the close-ups.
Do they sell those antique busts?
Nadine´s last blog ..Runway to Realway to Really Want! My ComLuv Profile

Sally May 25, 2010 at 6:32 am

It looks like an absolute goldmine!
Sally´s last blog ..Reader Request: Sundresses for the Large-of-Boob My ComLuv Profile

Casey May 25, 2010 at 8:01 am

I have been starting to hit up my favorite local vintage shop more often, because if nothing else I love seeing the clothes in person! I’m drooling over so many of the things you posted pictures of-especially that heart brooch. Such a neat looking place!!

♥ Casey
blog | elegantmusings.com

Tatiana May 25, 2010 at 8:57 am

Yay! I appreciate the posts about local SF shops. I’ll have to check this place out. You’re right, from the photos it definitely looks like a grandma’s attic… I hope my attic is one day just as awesome!
Tatiana´s last blog ..Monday Inspiration: Bjork + Polar Bear My ComLuv Profile

Mallory - Miss Malaprop May 25, 2010 at 11:14 am

Oh, that white and black capelet is gorgeous!

I agree, sometimes nothing beats seeing stuff in person!

DailyDivaDish May 25, 2010 at 11:16 am

Such a cute shop. It looks like one of places where I could spend hours and still not take in all the precious little gems!
XO Piper
DailyDivaDish´s last blog ..Welcome to the new DailyDivaDish! My ComLuv Profile

Dorothy Santos May 26, 2010 at 3:05 pm

This is a great store! Bought some vintage photographs! Great blog (heard about it from the owner of Mystery Mister)! :)

{ 1 trackback }