eliza May 27, 2010 at 11:48 am

Yes ! I just had a conversation about this with miss Angie from I Heart Norwegian Wood…everything in the big stores just looks the same! … No Logo brings back memories of early uni courses *shudder*…was fully traumatized by it.. But on the bright side, like you said, the net has helped a lot in getting hand made pieces out into the world.. I’ve only TRULY come around to this recently, I confess. But better late than never ;) Love Intwined! Those bows are too cute. I can only wish and hope the Swap-o-rama-rama comes to Montreal one day!

jennine May 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm

omg i didn’t sleep for three days after reading that book! everything back then that was affordable came from a big box store, it was crazy. but you’re right everything does look the same in most the big stores, because they follow trends, not make them. it’s kind of crazy.

perhaps the maker faire will come to mtl soon…they’re really spreading out!

See May 27, 2010 at 12:04 pm

This was my third year venturing up to the Bay Area Maker Faire from Los Angeles. While I enjoy checking out all of the robots and technology my heart is with the Swap- O-Rama/Bizarre Bazaar! I especially loved all the up-cycled clothing by The Window Lady. Those sun dresses made from vintage sheets were adorable!
.-= See´s last blog ..Life: Our First Zucchini! =-.

jennine May 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Oh yeah, that was my favorite part too. My husband was like ‘when can we see R2D2?’ they had something for everyone.

DailyDivaDish May 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm

That looks like such a fun event! And after looking at the pics, I suddenly want to turn a crown-shaped bottle opener I have - into a necklace.
XO Piper
.-= DailyDivaDish´s last blog ..Feathered Capes =-.

jennine May 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm

oh you have to do it now!

Sonja May 27, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Looks like so much fun! Wish I had gone. Will have to check it out next time. Thanks for sharing!
.-= Sonja´s last blog ..Discounts and deals on Jane Iredale and Dermalogica =-.

jennine May 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm

there’s always next year! it was fun!

Becca May 27, 2010 at 12:25 pm

This sounds like the most amazing time!
.-= Becca´s last blog ..Splish Splash =-.

Tami May 27, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Oh, you and Nat look so adorable…not delirious at all! :P
.-= Tami´s last blog ..Sorrelli Cocktail Rings =-.

jennine May 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm

haha, you are so kind. :)

Madeleine Gallay May 27, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Love the happy pictures …
.-= Madeleine Gallay´s last blog ..Facebook and The Poke =-.

Mallory - Miss Malaprop May 27, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Yours is at least the second post I’ve read today about the recent Maker Faire. I went out to SF in 2007 to do Maker Faire and it was so much fun! I was set up in the Bazaar Bizarre, so I didn’t get to explore the rest of the fair as much as I would have liked though. I really want to go to a Maker Faire again though, the concept is just amazing!

jennine May 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm

you would love it. love it. i think they’re doing it in several locations…so there might be one closer to you? there’s one in texas… but sf is so much fun.

Alicia May 27, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I want to go!!!

Diana May 27, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I love this post! I’ve always wanted to go to a Swap-O-Rama-Rama event. There was something similar in my city a few years ago, but unfortunately I missed it.
.-= Diana´s last blog ..“Bouquet is fancy for a bunch of flowers” =-.

Nickie Frye May 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm

My husband took my 3 year old & 4 year old, they all had a blast! I totally blew it & went to the sham of a “flea market” in Sebastopol instead. What a joke. I won’t miss it next year. (The Maker Fair that is, not the “flea market”).
.-= Nickie Frye´s last blog ..vintage 80s Genuine Snake Skin Clutch =-.

ali lower May 28, 2010 at 12:59 am

Did anyone see the fashion show at the maker faire? Those young makers really stole the show!

Retro Chick May 28, 2010 at 2:56 am

That looks like so much fun. I really want to learn to sew, I just need someone to show me how my sewing machine works!
.-= Retro Chick´s last blog ..Retro Chick Style Icon – Paloma Faith =-.

Mousevox Vintage May 28, 2010 at 6:39 am

I try to make a conscious effort to buy/eat locally, handmade, independently more often than not. I’ve read ‘The Shock Doctrine’, but haven’t picked up a copy of ‘No Logo’ yet. Looks like need to get on that soon!
.-= Mousevox Vintage´s last blog ..ETSY SHOP UPDATE =-.

Adele joanna May 31, 2010 at 5:14 am

How interesting I think I would love this book! I love stuff like that. My lectures at university consist of a lot fo globablization debates! Great post!
- Adele
MOLTOCURIOSA.COM ♥
.-= Adele joanna´s last blog ..Polka Dotted =-.

Sora Designs June 7, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Thanks a lot for featuring Sora Designs. I had a lot of fun and also I had the best sales on the first day. The 2nd best one-day sale was the Hayes Valley Capsule event. it’s an honor to be with other talented makers in one room.

Wen