Female Figure

by jennine on June 8, 2010

peplum vintage

Word on the street says ‘boobs are back.’ While boobs didn’t actually go anywhere on the streets, it’s looking like this upcoming fall androgyny will take a back seat to a more womanly figure as labels like Louis Vuitton  and Prada roll out with a homage to feminine silhouettes. What do I have to say about that? Thank god.

I’ve had a love-hate relationship with my figure, I still can’t show cleavage with any amount of confidence, even though I have it. My waist seems to fluctuate throughout the day…what is that about? And hips? Oh, I wish I had them. I found this peplum tencel skirt at H&M’s Garden Collection. Could this be the answer to my curvatude? Could I pretend to have that perfect hour-glass figure so idealized throughout the ages? Well, yes and no… even though I got this skirt a month or so ago, and tried it on a few times a week, getting the perfect top make this a flattering skirt wasn’t easy. It just so happens my eye is even more critical to volumptuousness than it is to imagine myself a more slender build. It just so happens that a cinching belt was the missing link.

Here I’m wearing a vintage puffy sleeve shirt with the peplum, it shouldn’t work, but to bring down the volume the belt creates a more wasp-like waist… plus I like the elastic bit…it’ll forgive my fluctuating figure.

Wearing: Puffed sleeve blouse, shoes and bag: Vintage • Skirt and belt: H&M

McKenzie June 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Love the outfit! You’re beautiful and you have a nice figure. :)
McKenzie´s last blog ..you’re the only certain one. My ComLuv Profile

shauna June 8, 2010 at 1:15 pm

You have a beautiful figure and totally rock this look.
shauna´s last blog ..A River Run Wild My ComLuv Profile

Jacqueline June 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm

vavavoom! I have the same fluctuating waist problem so I feel your pain. I am very glad though that womanly silhouettes are coming back. As someone with boobs, butt, and hips the last few years of fashion have not been kind to me. Skinny jeans, trapeze tanks, and boyfriend anything are not meant to be worn by everyone.
Jacqueline´s last blog ..Twofer Tuesday My ComLuv Profile

jennine June 8, 2010 at 1:25 pm

omg tell me about it, the trapeze tanks are so bad on me! no matter how i cut it, they just don’t look good. and boyfriend jeans.. maybe i can make it work, but it hasn’t happened yet.

Laura June 8, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Uh oh… if boobs are back, I’m screwed!

You look stunning! What an amazing skirt. And blouse… and shoes. I just love the whole look! :)
Laura´s last blog ..Go upstairs and put something over it My ComLuv Profile

Sally June 8, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Sheer perfection, lady! So glad you figured out that throwing a belt into the mix would do the job.
Sally´s last blog ..Reader Request: Stylish Shorts My ComLuv Profile

Sarah June 8, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Love the skirt! And I too am glad that curves seem to be back. While I love the loose fitting look on others it certainly is not flattering on me.

Midtown Girl June 8, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Love the pop of color with the belt…and love the “wasp-like waist” description <3

Nickie Frye June 8, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Yes, I agree the cinch belt is the way to go, provided you can get it on the right spot around your waist. If you put it right through the wide part (in my case) it looks pretty crappy. I just did my first outfit post on my brand new blog & I’m wearing a belt too. Please visit & tell me what you think. The blog is a work in progress. http://www.blog.nickienoel.com xoxo

Nickie Frye June 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm

OOps, I messed up the link. Man, I’m good. Duh. Here it is. http://blog.nickienoel.com/
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Gypsies in Spring My ComLuv Profile

...love Maegan June 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm

loving that “fashion” is bringing curvy back for real! …I LOVE THIS OUTFIT!!! You look fantastic!
…love Maegan´s last blog ..Project: Laundry Room ~ Complete …for now My ComLuv Profile

Eboni Ife June 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

You’re fabulous!!! and you have a great figure. I will say that I know how you feel. I have double D’s and zero hips, and even though I have a relatively small waist, my lack of hips makes me feel top heavy in certain pieces. I am the QUEEN of belts for that very reason.

you luck stunning! and those shoes are FIERCE!
Eboni Ife´s last blog ..Fashion Alert: The Warehouse Sale in San Diego My ComLuv Profile

fashion butter June 8, 2010 at 2:36 pm

love it all!
fashion butter´s last blog ..Like a lady My ComLuv Profile

Aja June 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Whew. Glad I can tell my boobs it’s safe to come out of hiding :)
Aja´s last blog ..Uma - Arto Lindsay My ComLuv Profile

Alicia June 8, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Perfectly prim! I really dug the andro-period of fashion and I’m anxious to see how this is going to affect how I dress…oooh lawd. LOL.

WendyB June 8, 2010 at 3:33 pm

SHOW THE CLEAVAGE FOR GOD’S SAKE!!!
That’s what it’s there for.
WendyB´s last blog ..What Wendy Wore: California Three-Peat My ComLuv Profile

Nadine June 8, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Now THAT’s a belt I would wear - I haven’t done the outside belt thing because I have been uninspired with the leather ones I keep seeing.
My husband will be so happy that I’ll be accentuating my chest still….I do like the androg look as far as the dress shirts/blazers go eg. BP.

enc June 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm

You are the personification of hourglass, Jennine. This look WORKS.
enc´s last blog ..My Obi is looking Wan . . . My ComLuv Profile

C June 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Love the skirt. It makes it more casual because the material.

C´s last blog .. My ComLuv Profile

MarchMusings June 8, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I think the whole look is perfect. Ha ha , I agree with Wendy B’s comment. She’s always spot on!
MarchMusings´s last blog ..Designers as inspiration - Resort 2011 My ComLuv Profile

Abby June 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm

That belt is adorable and the entire outfit is so flattering!
Abby´s last blog ..iPhone 4G My ComLuv Profile

Keira June 8, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Horray for a real-woman revival! I always tell my husband that Marilyn Monroe was a size 12, so it’s okay that I’m not a size 2. But like the other ladies that commented, recent trends have not been too kind to my curves. I love this look, and I think you found the perfect solution to a tricky skirt.

Grit and Glamour June 8, 2010 at 5:56 pm

You don’t have an hourglass figure? Huh? Sure looks like it to me! Maybe you need to teach a class in va-va-voom, cause you certainly nailed it here!
Grit and Glamour´s last blog ..WVW: Jumpin’ Jumpin’* My ComLuv Profile

m.fay June 8, 2010 at 7:06 pm

oh, i just love those bold shoulders…you look darling!
m.fay
m.fay´s last blog ..tickled pink My ComLuv Profile

RedPoppy June 8, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Wow! i love this outfit so much! The blouse is to die for and the skirt, well I am dashing off this minute to find it!
RedPoppy´s last blog ..CFDA Award Winners Plus Red Carpet Photos My ComLuv Profile

Emily the Panda June 8, 2010 at 8:40 pm

you look so ladylike! (not that you don’t normally) I love the top with your skirt, it’s a great combination.
Emily the Panda´s last blog ..night at the museum My ComLuv Profile

Catie June 8, 2010 at 10:18 pm

OK, a few things.

1) I’m really loving the vintage shoes - snakeskin pointy toes? Seriously? Wow.
2) I wrote about LV and Prada’s new shape on Cuffington yesterday, but with a different angle. Funny!
3) I totally agree with WendyB (in a grass is greener sort of way), but at the same time…
4) It’s really interesting how certain attributes that are valued in our society are often not valued as highly when you’re (not you personally, Jennine, the royal you) the person who actually has to live with it on a daily basis. Like it’s a gift to be grateful for and this surge of confidence just automatically comes along when one is “gifted” with these “blessings.” So very often, it’s just not that simple!

meligrosa June 8, 2010 at 10:21 pm

wow damn. hotness.
no wonder the weather has been fantastic lately ;-)
xxo.m <3
meligrosa´s last blog ..Women Who Bike: Reese My ComLuv Profile

Annie Spandex June 8, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Yes, that belt is to your outfit like the middle stone is to an arch! I love that it’s a totally 80’s Melanie Griffith Working Girl silhouette but the fabrics and color (and hair) make it modern. :)
Annie Spandex´s last blog ..Blue Roses My ComLuv Profile

eyeliah June 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm

You sure look like you have hips, maybe it’s just your that good at dressing for your body. I like the ‘idea’ of androgyny but it is really hard to pull off with my frame.

Mette June 9, 2010 at 2:24 am

You look amazing in that outfit!
Thanks for the tips, will go and dig out all my belts again. I love the hourglass silhouette but have some of the same “problems” = no hips or waist speak of (and a flat butt). I would need to get a very padded bra though to complete the look :-)

Abysm June 9, 2010 at 4:29 am

cute outfit! specially the bag! Im in love with it, hehe :)

Betsey J June 9, 2010 at 4:29 am

I absolutely adore those shoes!!!

Anna Katrina June 9, 2010 at 4:40 am

your shirt and skirt compliment each other beautifully

Anna Katrina

Make Do Style June 9, 2010 at 5:39 am

Worry not, you pulled it off to perfection xx
Make Do Style´s last blog ..Summer Capsule Wardrobe Challenge My ComLuv Profile

Alice June 9, 2010 at 6:26 am

It is a perfect ensemble! You definitely have the hourglass figure in this outfit!

DailyDivaDish June 9, 2010 at 9:04 am

The way you say “boobs are back” for some reason just makes me giggle. This ensemble is perfect on you. You always take such beautiful pictures, but for some reason the second one here is probably one of my absolute favorites.
XO Piper
DailyDivaDish´s last blog ..DailyDivaDish turns One Year Old! My ComLuv Profile

Mousevox Vintage June 9, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I’ve always thought you to have such a lovely figure. I think it’s inevitable that we will always want we don’t have. I used to be very self-conscious about my figure (or lack thereof, I should say), but I know it’s nothing I can change and I’m actually happy with myself. I think you should be, too!
Mousevox Vintage´s last blog ..DIY IN THE SKY My ComLuv Profile

Casey June 10, 2010 at 3:45 am

Firstly, this outfit is a knock out!!!! You look seriously gorgeous-glamorous; I love the volume cinched with a belt (my favorite way of wearing things ;) . That skirt is pretty amazing; I just love the peplum!

If it’s any consolation, my waist fluctuates during the day too. More so over the summer months, due to the heat and my increased water intake. I sometimes find it can expand as much as 1/2″ to 1″! :p Which means I opt to store all my super tight skirts until it gets cool again, just so I don’t go around making myself feel badly because my skirts don’t fit right. ;) lol. It’s really annoying though, because I’ll put something on in the morning, and by later afternoon I feel like I’m dying because my body has swelled up a bit from the heat/humidity! Ugh!!!!

I have to say that I’m excited that the female form is gaining appreciation again with designers (at least for now… we know they’ll all go back to androgyny again in a few seasons ;) rofl!). Not that I don’t appreciate the other style, but as a gal toting some serious curves around my waist/hips, it makes finding inspiration for looks that would flatter me a bit easier. lol.

♥ Casey
blog | elegantmusings.com

Pascalle June 10, 2010 at 10:51 am

Wow love your outfit!! And don’t you worry about your figure…You are stunning!!! I am crazy about your shoes and your bag..
Pascalle´s last blog ..Must do hair style My ComLuv Profile

Stylestalker June 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm

love your blog

Alyssa June 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm

ah! seriously. thank god boobs are back! i love this post and i LOVE this outfit! it’s so cute and there are so many adorable small details. also that belt is perfect!!!
x. alyssa