Mental Images, How Inspiration Works

by jennine on June 9, 2010

Lately I have a few mental images lingering in my mind. As stated yesterday… the curves of the female figure brought back to the runways have been bubbling inside my brain. But inspiration doesn’t work in a one-to-one translation, or I prefer it not to…because that would be outright copying. How does inspiration work for me?

Mental images.

It’s more like Impressionism than Photo Realism. Inspiration usually comes in the form of the residue of a memory. The thing that is left after the fact. Perhaps like a stain of some sort? A good stain. The good stuff usually stains anyway. Inspiration is the personalization of an idea. The images that resonate, they stay for a reason, they relate… they’re personal.

The Prada images have been floating around in my head, somewhat subliminally, somewhat consciously. Today I realized I had the pieces, a plaid full skirted dress, I worked from memory. I remembered belts, full-skirts, plaids, curvy shapes. All kind of swirling around. There wasn’t any going out and buying something new, I had it in my closet already. Only this way, it was personal.

Oh dear, I bought these shoes at Aldo back in January to wear at fashion week, but yeah, I looked like a slob all week, and didn’t wear them ever. So today, they’re coming out…why must I always be on the quest for more shoes, when I have shoes yet to be worn?

So I’m wearing them today..perhaps that will let me go back out to buy new shoes.

;)

Runway image via Style.com

Adele Joanna June 9, 2010 at 11:49 am

Oh I love the dress and those shoes! Fabulous!
- Adele
MOLTOCURIOSA.COM
Adele Joanna´s last blog ..Jeffrey Campbell Clogs My ComLuv Profile

fashion butter June 9, 2010 at 11:55 am

Wowza - now those are some hot shoes!
fashion butter´s last blog ..Like a lady My ComLuv Profile

Ashe Mischief June 9, 2010 at 12:29 pm

You look wonderful! I have this strange feeling that whenever you wear that dress, it always ends up being in outfits I get swoony over….

And those shoes are wonderful! I have a horrible time with the back zipper on a lot of shoes.. they end up cutting in to my foot :/
Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..Times Like These Time & Time Again My ComLuv Profile

Eboni Ife June 9, 2010 at 12:31 pm

hey there! You look fabulous. I love those shoes. Reading your post, I am reminded on my own plain full skirted dress that I bought a couple years ago and have only worn twice… I ‘ll have to pull that out! I guess you’re the one leaving stains behind this time! ;)
Eboni Ife´s last blog ..Fashion Alert: The Warehouse Sale in San Diego My ComLuv Profile

good girl gone blog June 9, 2010 at 1:04 pm

You look so, so pretty! I love this dress!
good girl gone blog´s last blog ..Double stripe My ComLuv Profile

DailyDivaDish June 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Those shoes are magnificent! And I really like your explanation of inspiration. Well said.
XO Piper
DailyDivaDish´s last blog ..Birthday Beauty Giveaway My ComLuv Profile

Jacqueline June 9, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Love the shoes! What a pretty color.

Nickie Frye June 9, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I love this. Not just the outfit,, but what you said about inspiration. You are so right on. It IS like a stain. lol! Impressionism vs photo realism. You nailed it.

I love those tights (?) with the cable up the front. Or is that part of the shoes? Like some crazy strap? Either way, I love. Talk about inspiration.
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Hog Riding My ComLuv Profile

enc June 9, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Wow, those are superb! I didn’t know Aldo could pack that kind of punch. You look beautiful.
enc´s last blog ..My Obi is looking Wan . . . My ComLuv Profile

...love Maegan June 9, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I love it , I love it, I love it. Definitely a nod to your inspiration.
…love Maegan´s last blog ..Silk Roses & Rope Braids My ComLuv Profile

hiyaluv June 9, 2010 at 5:24 pm

you look awesome! Love the shoes! smiles, gina
hiyaluv´s last blog ..Talk to me. My ComLuv Profile

Amy June 9, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Those shoes are gorgeous! Are they comfortable? I’m under the impression Aldo shoes aren’t too comfortable.
Amy´s last blog ..Delivery Dilemma My ComLuv Profile

MarchMusings June 9, 2010 at 9:42 pm

That blue suits you so well. And love the shoes.
MarchMusings´s last blog ..The 80’s are calling….. My ComLuv Profile

WendyB June 9, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Those shoes are electric!
WendyB´s last blog ..What Wendy Wore: Double Denim on the Sly My ComLuv Profile

M June 10, 2010 at 1:17 am

that’s a great look on you…those shoes are awsome! comfortables?
M´s last blog ..today’s look My ComLuv Profile

charlie June 10, 2010 at 1:59 am

Wow!! What a pretty shoe. Your dress is also beautiful.

Casey June 10, 2010 at 3:50 am

I know this is silly to notice first off, but I love the neutral polish you’re wearing on your toe nails! I’ve lately been trying to add some more colors to my “toe polish stash”, other than my signature shade of bright red (and variations thereof).

I adore this outfit so, so much! Those shoes are really amazing-definitely winners! ;) It’s funny how inspiration works, isn’t it? I rarely, if ever, have taken something and reinterpreted to the last detail; more often it’s fun to just use what I remember in the outfit-creating process! So neat to see how your outfit was inspired from start to finish! :)

♥ Casey
blog | elegantmusings.com
Casey´s last blog ..impromptu teatime My ComLuv Profile

Empress June 10, 2010 at 4:50 am

Love the shoes, saw them myself but ALDO’s shoes are too narrow for my feet :(

True Queen
Empress´s last blog ..Funky New Ways To Tell Time My ComLuv Profile

Mallory - Miss Malaprop June 10, 2010 at 7:32 am

Love the shoes! I love that cobalt color - I’m such a sucker for brightly colored shoes!

Fashion Herald June 10, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Now I’ve got to run to Aldo and do a post! Those are pretty fabulous, esp. with that adorable plaid dress.
And I always break out some heels in the beginning of fashion week and then end up wearing the same boots, or, totally cheating, my Converse hi-tops!
Fashion Herald´s last blog ..Summer Picks at Zara 34th Street My ComLuv Profile

Angelina Russo June 10, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Thanks for this. Those shoes are heavenly and I love the inspirational way of interpreting Prada! Thought you might like the range of crochet stockings I’ve been working on! http://www.etsy.com/listing/41365449/crochet-stocking-orange-lace-cotton?ref=tre-4c102d5c19246d91c33a7fcd-6

Cheers
Angelina Russo´s last blog ..Casa CocoLoco commented on Casa CocoLoco’s blog post ‘Frankie Magazine - homemade with a focus on ‘"nanna"culture’ My ComLuv Profile

Trinidad June 10, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I love the shoes! I never have the courage to go that crazy with color. You have inspired me!
Trinidad´s last blog ..Hump Day Hooray: The Free Booze Edition My ComLuv Profile

Erin June 10, 2010 at 9:00 pm

The shoes are great! love the punch of funk they add to your ladylike outfit! You look lovely!
Erin´s last blog ..NY Sample Sale Report: Charlotte Ronson My ComLuv Profile

Market Publique June 11, 2010 at 10:42 am

Those shoes are to die for!!! And I adore the gray toenails too :)

Retro Chick June 11, 2010 at 11:36 am

That looks marvellous. I love the belt over the cardigan. I keep trying that, but I’ve yet to make it work!
Retro Chick´s last blog ..Mickey Mouse Meets The Lady of the Manor My ComLuv Profile

Lars June 11, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I have those shoes too, and like yours they never made it beyond a photo shoot. I think I wore them out once. You’ve inspired me to wear them tonight! Gorgeous dress too, I’m absolutely obsessed with full skirts right now.

VintageMarie June 12, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I have the same Aldo shoes but in purple satin. The blue version is awesome !

Jessica June 14, 2010 at 7:14 am

Those shoes look fantastic on your feet! Great look.
Jessica´s last blog ..Things I love this week — June 11th My ComLuv Profile

Alicia June 14, 2010 at 1:12 pm

That’s the best manifestation of a stain I’ve seen in a while. =D

Your shoes make me happy.

Natalie June 20, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Love the shoes! So bright. They heel’s also very high. I’d be proud of myself if I could even stand in them long enough to take a blog pic without falling over :)