I can kaftan

by jennine on June 30, 2010

It sounds counter intuitive, but on my trip to NYC, I swore I would not shop. Well, shop excessively. It turned out, I did go shopping with my friend Drea, but it was because *she* needed a new dress for a wedding she is attending next month. I was just along to *help.* She brought me to Beacon’s Closet in Williamsburg, the hugest buy/sell/trade shop I’ve ever been to. I swear, it had so many wonderful treasures, I piled up on good finds…as when I go to these buy/sell/trade places, I tend to be a lot more selective by choosing only designer or real vintage items. Really, it’s not worth it to buy used Forever21…even though I have done it.

In the pile of goodies, I got an Opening Ceremony chambray dress, a few more pieces, I’ll show you soon, I love them all. This kaftan dress by Nieves Lavi, was a total dark horse. I tend to stay away from these kinds of silhouettes in fear that they ‘don’t flatter my figure’ but it was hard not to fall in love with the rich colors the beautiful print and the comfort of the fabric. It’s a dress that feels like summer.

Wearing: Kaftan dress: Nieves Lavi • Shoes: Aldo • Sunglasses: Target • Bracelet: H&M • Necklace: Nordstroms

{ 1 trackback }

» Fashionistas and Entrepreneurs Unite! : Girls In Tech :
June 30, 2010 at 12:26 pm

1 Deepti June 30, 2010 at 10:27 am

I adore caftans. And this one looks amazing on you. Searching for one myself. :)
Deepti´s last blog ..Mushrooms My ComLuv Profile

2 Kaleigha June 30, 2010 at 10:34 am

This looks so great on you! What a beautiful cut!
Kaleigha´s last blog ..Closet sale item My ComLuv Profile

3 Vyque June 30, 2010 at 10:38 am

Great print! Love those shoes too!
Vyque´s last blog ..Cable Knit Shorts My ComLuv Profile

4 Ashe Mischief June 30, 2010 at 10:49 am

Definitely a flattering and beautiful cut! I tend to shy away from prints too- glad you didn’t with this one, as it’s STUNNING on you…. and all the colors…so many great opportunities for mixing and matching.

5 Ashe Mischief June 30, 2010 at 10:53 am

Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..What’s so Dazzling about ShoeDazzle My ComLuv Profile

6 Tami June 30, 2010 at 10:58 am

Very bohemian chic…
Tami´s last blog ..Marie Veronique Organics Kid Safe Screen SPF 25 My ComLuv Profile

7 midtown girl June 30, 2010 at 11:14 am

You KNOW how much I love this one!! Cannot wait to see the pics of the pink BJ dress <3

8 DWJ June 30, 2010 at 11:37 am

I am 110% in LOVE with that kaftan. I’ve been saying I want one and I think I could be a kaftan girl and you’ve totally got me on a quest to find one now. Love everything about it!
DWJ´s last blog ..How To Accessorize Day to Night My ComLuv Profile

9 Adele Joanna June 30, 2010 at 11:46 am

Love the glasses!

- Adele
MOLTOCURIOSA.COM
Adele Joanna´s last blog ..Giveaway number two My ComLuv Profile

10 Em June 30, 2010 at 12:19 pm

This is a great look for you-very flattering!
Em´s last blog ..thoughts My ComLuv Profile

11 Nickie Frye June 30, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I LOVE IT!!! This is totally something I would love to wear.
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Hog Gut Shirts -amp Thistle Skirts My ComLuv Profile

12 lisa June 30, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Wow Jennine! This kaftan dress is a real find. I love the pattern, the colour, the silhouette-everything about it just works on you. :)
lisa´s last blog ..Solo Lisa Reads- Summer at Tiffany by Marjorie Hart My ComLuv Profile

13 WendyB June 30, 2010 at 1:45 pm

You know I love this dress!
WendyB´s last blog ..Eclipse Kicks Off Seven Days of Half-Off Summer Sales My ComLuv Profile

14 Cate June 30, 2010 at 1:51 pm

omg, you look amazing, that blue is beautiful and I can’t get enough. let’s not even TALK about how amazing those shoes are!
Cate´s last blog ..Portrait Malte Paulsen by Saverio Cardia My ComLuv Profile

15 Shen Dove Style June 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Your kaftan is fab! I adore Beacon’s Closet and try to make a trip out there whenever I’m in NY and have time : )

16 Keira June 30, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I’m so glad you went for it! It’s beautiful. The chambray dress is awesome, too.
Keira´s last blog ..The Kick-Off- My ComLuv Profile

17 Sarah June 30, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Hi from Glasgow! What a fabulous print. The last time I was in NYC we stayed in Brooklyn, just down from Williamsburg. It was great around there - shopping, eating and drinking - such a wonderful area. xx
Sarah´s last blog ..Thrifty summer challenge My ComLuv Profile

18 Alicia June 30, 2010 at 3:34 pm

It looks like summer, too. So bright and pretty. =D

19 Jessica June 30, 2010 at 3:51 pm

ooo perfection!
Jessica´s last blog ..Pourquoi Pas My ComLuv Profile

20 Eboni Ife June 30, 2010 at 5:48 pm

This caftan is absolutely gorgeous! the print is amazing and it is actually VERY flattering. Great find!
Eboni Ife´s last blog ..Yay- Another Feature- Fabsugar Look of the Day My ComLuv Profile

21 fashion butter July 1, 2010 at 1:47 am

Love kaftans. Next to Peg Bundy, Mrs. Roper is also a fashion inspiration of mine. Seriously.

You look beautiful. Great find!
fashion butter´s last blog ..Shiny happy purple My ComLuv Profile

22 Nikki July 1, 2010 at 3:13 am

Such a gorgeous summery dress! And i am desperately in love with your amazing shoes.

23 Sally July 1, 2010 at 6:14 am

What a gorgeous print! And you’re right: That dress just screams “summer.”
Sally´s last blog ..Reader Request- Sassy Swimwear My ComLuv Profile

24 wahiba July 1, 2010 at 7:38 am

Very chic, I love it (*….*)

25 Katie July 1, 2010 at 7:39 am

Great find! I love that you advocate vintage shopping over F21. You’re so right when you say it’s not worth it.
Katie´s last blog ..Things I Cant Afford- The Anthropologie Edition Again My ComLuv Profile

26 dreamylacey July 1, 2010 at 8:07 am

I am glad you took it the dress is amazing. it is as if it was made for you. the colors, the prints everything is perfect!!

dreamylacey´s last blog ..Jai succombé - My ComLuv Profile

27 Thea July 1, 2010 at 9:04 am

Goorgeous dress. I LOVE Beacon’s Closet. It’s the one used shop where I always find something good.

28 Justyna July 1, 2010 at 9:23 am

That is a great find. Great summer dress. I am heading to New York in a week and I have been researching best vintage stores I should absolutely visit during my stay and this one seems like a place I should keep on my list.
Any other suggestions? I might not have time to head to Brooklyn.

29 Korka July 1, 2010 at 9:47 am

The colors and print are yummy! And you do look magnificent!

If you’re worried about the silhouette still, remember the magic of tailoring. Dry cleaners usually charge a very low fee for alterations - But you know this already - I’m just on an alteration kick because I’m broke. Well’ also, you could as a sewing savvy friend to do it for you in exchange for some cupcakes or whatever strikes her fancy…
Korka´s last blog ..Photos from Vernissage Opening My ComLuv Profile

30 Trinidad Pena July 1, 2010 at 10:54 am

I’m loving the bracelet! And your new avatar!
Trinidad Pena´s last blog ..Hump Day Hooray- The Free Events Edition My ComLuv Profile

31 eileen/daisyfairbanks July 1, 2010 at 11:18 am

There’s nothing un-flattering about this silhouette! It’s comfortable, and yet fitted in the right places. I love the rich color, and the paisley-ish floral.
eileen/daisyfairbanks´s last blog ..Rainbow Pride Vintage Fashion Picks My ComLuv Profile

32 Danielle July 1, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Nice dress! love the shoes… Are they a recent buy at Aldo? I might have to get those if they are still available..

33 Laura July 1, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I love your Caftan I must go to Beacons closet when I go to NYC but in the interm I will thrift and design and make as many caftan-y garments possible.

34 Jacqueline July 1, 2010 at 8:44 pm

It looks great on you!
Jacqueline´s last blog ..Thrifty Thursday My ComLuv Profile

35 Pixie in Pumps July 2, 2010 at 12:11 pm

that dress is so amazing. Everything about it is perfect!
Pixie in Pumps´s last blog ..Daily Outfit- You Want the Sunrise to Go Back to Bed My ComLuv Profile

36 charles July 2, 2010 at 12:46 pm

OMG i love the whole outfit but wow that kimono like dress is simply divine. xx
charles´s last blog ..Not Exaclty A Total Eclipse Of The Heart- Eclipse Review My ComLuv Profile