Sunglasses Well Rounded and Squared Away

by jennine on July 2, 2010

round sunglasses

As nice as it is to think expensive sunglasses are worth it, I always seem to fall back on my cheap sunglasses from Target, I got on sale for $5. Once I bought a pair of Chanel sunglasses at the Chanel boutique on the French Riviera but, only because I was feeling frivolous. They got smudged and scratched just like my $5, and to top it off, they were stolen off my desk at a job I used to work at, less than six months later.

Yesterday, I was walking home, and felt the gravitational pull of the H&M Sale. Gravitational pull? Moth to flame? Whatever you call it, even though going in there makes me feel like I’m visiting a creepy ex-lover, and I’ve fallen back into the habit of H&M… I couldn’t resist the 2 for $10 sunglasses sale. Here was a good opportunity to pick up a couple of trendy, yet useful shades, so I can give my Target ones a rest. It’s always handy to have a pair of black sunglasses, and a pair of brown sunglasses. Then from there, one can branch out into different colors, shapes, attitudes (aviator vs. cat-eye) and for me, branching out to new shapes, of the most basic kind…square and round.

Speaking of things I got for almost nothing and use all the time… these shoes, I picked up at the Frankfurt flea market for $4 two years ago. I wear these damn shoes practically every day for the past two years, and cant find another shoe to replace them in both price and character. Go figure, perhaps I’m the cat who’d much rather play with the box.

1 Iva July 2, 2010 at 10:41 am

those are both great pairs of sunglasses! I hope you find another pair {or similar lol} of those shoes! Although, some things are truly irreplaceable! They really do have fabulous character.

Speaking of sunglasses getting stolen….my favorite pair ever {Gucci’s} were stolen too. BLEH. I’m still annoyed that someone would do that!! Sure the money aspect of it is annoying, but that was the least of what bugged me. It was the fact that I LOVED those and I have never found a pair that I have liked that much again…or maybe I am holding on too much LOL

Happy Friday! I hope you have a great, safe 4th of July weekend! Hopefully we’ll have awesome weather!! :)
Iva´s last blog ..Eco Conscious Flying -amp Travel Planning My ComLuv Profile

2 jennine July 2, 2010 at 5:02 pm

yeah, why would someone steal sunglasess? that’s so weird… then again, i’m not a fan of stealing… and yeah, even though the chanel glasses were ok, it was more the memory of shopping in france with my mom that i missed.

happy 4th to you too!

3 stacy July 2, 2010 at 11:36 am

Oooh, those round ones are crazy cool! I bought a round pair last summer at H&M for $5. Actually, I bought them because I wasn’t finding round frames anywhere. Leave it to H&M to cover all possible basis.
stacy´s last blog ..Hot Kamali My ComLuv Profile

4 jennine July 2, 2010 at 5:04 pm

i had a round pair, but i gave them to wendy because i thought she’d look better in them, and she does!

5 lisa July 2, 2010 at 11:53 am

Your new shades look great on you!

I splurged on a pair of Chanel sunglasses on my first trip to New York in 2008, and I still wear them all the time. Aside from the fact that I really like the style, I’m in love with the quality of the lenses. Often with cheaper sunglasses I find the lenses will tint EVERYTHING black or brown and the world looks dim and off colour, but when I wear the Chanel’s the world appears in true colour, just not as bright. That to me was worth paying extra for. :D But yeah, they’re more high maintenance than cheapie shades for sure…I’m always careful to put them away in the hard case when I’m not using them, and I have to carry the case in my handbag all the time, so sometimes I can’t carry smaller handbags.
lisa´s last blog ..Todays Outfit- The Sorta Weekend My ComLuv Profile

6 jennine July 2, 2010 at 5:05 pm

oh wow, i didn’t think of that, then again, i love the tint, it makes things look more romantic.

7 Citizen Rosebud July 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Yeah, I stopped spending a long time ago, major dough on sunglasses. The investment just isn’t worth it. I’ve been stocking at Target.

Your round ones rock, and there’s something to be said for styling outside the box. And speaking of box, those shoes are amazing! Ok, nothing to do with a box. Just great, great shoes.
Citizen Rosebud´s last blog ..AMERICAN casual My ComLuv Profile

8 Eboni Ife July 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Oh I swear by my Mossimo sunglasses! I wear them like every day. In fact, you’ll see them in like 80% of my posts. Since I tend to lose sunglasses a lot, I stick to H&M, Forever 21, and Target sunnies. I lost a pair of Prada sunglasses and that was the last expensive pair I ever bought! Oh and I was all over the 2 fo $10 sale at H&M I picked up a cute pair of aviators and a pair of leopard cat-eyes! I LOVE THEM!

xoxo,
Eboni Ife’
Eboni Ife´s last blog ..A Fashion Lunch My ComLuv Profile

9 jennine July 2, 2010 at 5:30 pm

oh yes, i had good luck with mossimo glasses… like i think i lost them before they broke or got scratched…

10 The Well-Appointed Catwalk July 2, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I was so upset when I thought I lost my Oliver Peoples sunglasses - my first ever sunglasses splurge. I bought a $5 pair at H&M to replace them and ended up finding the expensive pair in my mom’s car a couple weeks later. Well, I hate to say it, but now I prefer the H&M ones. I keep telling myself I’m just “saving” the good sunglasses, but what I’m saving them for I have no idea.

Also, who actually steals off a coworker’s desk? What the hell kind of office was this, Jennine?

11 jennine July 2, 2010 at 5:30 pm

haha, i always to that with ‘nice’ things. it’s the preciousness that kills me.

12 WendyB July 2, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I hate office theft!
WendyB´s last blog ..What Wendy Wore- Cheap -amp Delicious Cava With Tina My ComLuv Profile

13 jennine July 2, 2010 at 5:31 pm

haha, i know, it was so creepy… thank god i wasn’t there long… never trust real estate agents!

14 Clare July 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Those are both such wonderful shades! I love them. And those oxfords are phenomenal. Well-loved pieces are the best!
Clare´s last blog ..Id Like a Part My ComLuv Profile

15 Annie Spandex July 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Always cheap sunglasses for me. They’re too easy to lose or drop or sit on and break for anything expensive. One of my favorite parts about strolling Venice Beach was all the cheapie sunglasses vendors. I’ve got to get back there just for that alone! (& all that other LA stuff of course)
Annie Spandex´s last blog ..Double Denim My ComLuv Profile

16 Nickie Frye July 3, 2010 at 7:26 am

I like the square sunglasses! I always get mine at the Saks outlet in Petaluma. Have you been? They always have fabulous designer sunglasses for under $100. They come with a case too. I don’t mind spending $50-$100 on sunglasses because I take really good care of them & I usually wear the same pair for about a year. Once I scored a pair of white Kate Spade glasses at Marshall’s, but their stuff is usually already scratched in the store.
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Jeffrey Campbell Fall Winter 2010 Lookbook My ComLuv Profile

17 Krista July 3, 2010 at 2:33 pm

They both look great! I’m finding the best shoes in Germany! I’ll have to visit the flea markets. I haven’t seen thrift shop yet.
Krista´s last blog ..Gorgeously Nude Shoes My ComLuv Profile

18 carlotta July 4, 2010 at 4:18 am

hi, really nice your blog!!
those pics are beutiful, if you want check out my blog and follow me..kisses

19 Ashe Mischief July 4, 2010 at 8:10 am

Girl, I’m TOTALLY obsessed with cats eye glasses now. I was searching online earlier for some knock offs of the Tom Ford ones Love Maegan is always wearing.
Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..IFB Presents- Links á la Mode My ComLuv Profile

20 m.fay July 5, 2010 at 7:27 am

oh, my my. i can never have enough pairs. it always depends on my mood and my dress. i love the square pair on you….you look like a moive star ;)

m.fay
m.fay´s last blog ..cutting edge couture My ComLuv Profile

21 Trinidad July 5, 2010 at 10:12 am

I always lose/break my sunglasses, so I’m a big fan of “discount” sunglasses. I like going to Marshalls for them! This way I can get the brands I love but not want to slit a wrist if I lose them.
Trinidad´s last blog ..TBS COMMANDMENT 1- Thou shall seek true love – when shopping- My ComLuv Profile

22 Fabiola "Fab" July 5, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I need sunglasses badbly but not sure what will work for me.

Hello Jennine,

I have a quick question. May I ask how to do one add your IFB icon to blogs page.
May be I shouldn’t ask you here…..

Fabiola “Fab” @ Vested Bee Vintage

P.s. I have already created an IFB account.

Have a great evening.
Fabiola “Fab”´s last blog ..Make hay while the sun shines- My ComLuv Profile

23 Jessica Yu July 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm

The shoes are so freaken cute and its such a steal! And its perfect since they’re already worn in haha!
Jessica Yu´s last blog ..Couture to die for My ComLuv Profile

24 Midtown Girl July 6, 2010 at 10:26 am

Ahh -I love my Chanels too butam worried I’ll scratch them so I get my $10 F21 pair and rock those all summer - so easy to throw on & go without worrying about losing/ruining them.

I feel a bit insane tho for hardly wearing my Chanels when they are just sitting in their case…think I will break them out today for a change!

25 liz July 6, 2010 at 12:40 pm

shoes with character, much better than shoes without
liz´s last blog ..Don’t let the days go by My ComLuv Profile

26 Alicia July 6, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I often find that the stuff on the lower end of the price spectrum usually gets more love from me…perhaps I’m a box loving cat, too.

LOL

27 Kristin July 6, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Glad I’m not the only one! I put a ban on myself when it comes to expensive sunnies. I’m way too hard on them. Love your score!