How I take outfit photos…

by jennine on July 30, 2010

Just in case you were wondering….

One of the most asked questions to me as a blogger, is “Who takes your outfit photos?” The answer, most are surprised about the answer, “I do.” Some bloggers have ‘helpers’ who take their photos, and some bloggers, such as myself do their own photography. Here is a step by step video guide to how I take photos with my SLR camera.

This video was published on Independent Fashion Bloggers today… so stop on by, and if you’re a not a member yet and have a fashion blog, join! It’s such a resource.

1 Monique July 30, 2010 at 11:47 am

Thanks for the tips!! Your photos always look great!

2 DailyDivaDish July 30, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Your photos always look great - I can see why people may think you have help. Have a great weekend!
XO Piper
DailyDivaDish´s last blog ..Here’s what I’ve been up to… My ComLuv Profile

3 marta July 30, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Thanks for the tips, I always thought that you had a photographer, lol.

4 Kate July 30, 2010 at 1:11 pm

This was a great post!! I also used to do the whole balance-camera-on-ledge thing, and the wind blew it over and it went crashing to the ground, and of course, was broken! When I went to buy a new camera, I also bought a tripod and it has made things SO much easier! I still use just a regular digital camera and a self timer, but have it on a tripod. Now I am wondering if they have remotes for the canon powershot cameras…? That would save a lot of time and a lot of running back & forth setting the self timer!
Kate´s last blog ..Song Of The Week! My ComLuv Profile

5 jennine August 1, 2010 at 5:35 pm

oh yeah, i did that TWICE. tripod. always.
;)

6 Sheena July 30, 2010 at 1:18 pm

You really make it look so easy! I would have never thought that took your own photos. I’ve always wanted to buy a remote, but since I don’t have a SLR camera, that seems to be out. Instead, I use the self-timer option, but I feel like a remote would make it so, so much easier.
Sheena´s last blog ..I Like Her Style My ComLuv Profile

7 Goody July 30, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Nice demo

I am always saying how challenging it is for me to get pictures of myself because by the time i get dressed no one else is usually home so i purchased a tripod but I never take it outside although I keep saying I should because the photo options in my apt are limited due to a lack of space..

that’s about to change..

thanks for the motivation!
Goody´s last blog ..Apparently- Yes It Was Really Necessary My ComLuv Profile

8 jennine August 1, 2010 at 5:37 pm

clutter is what forced me to take photos outside. while it looked cute while it was home, in pics it wasn’t so great.

9 Lisa July 30, 2010 at 5:50 pm

you’ve convinced me i need a remote for my canon rebel!!! awesome video, thanks! :D
Lisa´s last blog ..Frugal Friday!!!! My ComLuv Profile

10 blazer eed July 31, 2010 at 5:42 am

This is great… bold and brazen. I wouldn’t have the guts but I guess someday I’ll have to try it out =)

11 daisybabie July 31, 2010 at 9:06 am

you’re so cute, jennine!
thank you for this demo. i just bought my very first tripod a few weeks ago. now all i need are the other two things on the list. right now i’m using a point-shoot and tis a pain to run back and forth to set the self timer.
the video was really great. simple, straightforward and really helpful.
Cheers!

12 jennine August 1, 2010 at 5:38 pm

haha, that’s why in my early photos i had that impatient look on my face. i don’t have a pa pa pa pokerface.

13 Valerie July 31, 2010 at 10:42 am

i always thought someone helped you out! your pics are absolutely gorgeous, very well taken :)

14 Grit and Glamour July 31, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Awesome video, Jennine! Love it. I never thought about lowering my tripod to that level. But it’s a great idea.

I totally need to invest in Adobe Premiere for video editing. That’s what you’re using, right? It’s time for me to kick the vids up a notch. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

♥ V

Grit and Glamour´s last blog ..WVW- Leopard- Take 1 My ComLuv Profile

15 jennine August 1, 2010 at 5:39 pm

oh yes, adobe premier, did i say that’s what i was using? yes, i love it. you can really control how much quality you want your image to be, typography and everything.

now i just got to invest in sound equipment. (it never ends)

16 anjali August 1, 2010 at 11:32 am

That was a great (and very cute!) tutorial Jennine. I think for well over a year I had no idea how to take photos for my blog and settled for poorly shot camera pictures in my dusty wardrobe mirror ;) Slowly I started figuring things out like that a camera *is* actually important, a tripod very necessary, and doing things like adjusting the color balance and temperature with photo editing software can bring pictures to a new level. I wish I had had someone to tell me that in the beginning though! As it is, I feel like I’m still slowly learning new things every week about blog photography. I wish I had a remote like you because hopping back and forth constantly with my self-timer is incredibly tiring! Sadly my camera doesn’t have the option, but perhaps it’s time for me to upgrade soon…
anjali´s last blog ..Outfit of the Day- On Two Wheels My ComLuv Profile

17 Allie O'Bannon August 1, 2010 at 11:48 am

These tips were great! I just started a “What I Wore” section on my blog, so this was perfect timing.
Allie O’Bannon´s last blog ..WHAT I WORE- 7-25-10 My ComLuv Profile

18 fashion tidbits August 2, 2010 at 12:00 am

aww jennine you have such a cute voice!!! great video.

19 Ella Mode August 2, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I’m going to try to frame this comment positively, even though I haven’t had enough luck with my own self-photography yet to post ensemble shots much. It’s been a bummer. One big bummer is that my Kodak is definitely a GOODIE but in the tech world, an oldie, and they don’t make a remote for it!!

Anyway, I think it might be even better to take a video then capture stills from that, so I’ll be good. (I can’t believe that I recently forgot how to take videos though. I put it in vid mode, but didn’t press the required shoot button, oy. I’ve got it now however.)

Although my tripod is this really cool “gorilla” small one that grips things … and the small size means I lose it easily. My BF and I are, well, big losers, lol. So I’m still set back for this moment.

Great post though.
Ella Mode´s last blog ..Chelsea Clinton Wedding Gown -OR- How to Easily Sketch that Complicated Fashion Design My ComLuv Profile

20 Nickie Frye August 3, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Awesome! I use a tripod & remote, too. I find that whenever I enlist a “helper” (my husband) the photos aren’t as good as the ones I take myself.

I am curious if you set your focal length manually or with auto focus? I use auto focus but sometimes it’s not as crisp as I want it. Thanks!
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..San Francisco Gift Show My ComLuv Profile

21 SwanDiamondRose August 4, 2010 at 12:43 pm

oops. i thought i had commented here. once again i bought a camera that doesn’t work with a remote. sometimes i wonder where my head is at. i am a tad tired of literlly crawling back to my camera for shoots! next time! i looked up your camera online, good price, and i always buy canon. also, what the heck, you are so charming! such a big smile. you look great. and sound great. ok, end of fan talk.
SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..The newly new SWANclothing Floral Lasso tote Photos and lots of words 6 My ComLuv Profile

22 MizzJ August 4, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Awesome video! You have such a cute voice :)
MizzJ´s last blog ..Weekly Shopping & Goodies My ComLuv Profile

23 tonya August 7, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Thanks so much for posting this. I just need a remote now :)

24 Kelly August 10, 2010 at 7:11 am

Thanks for the how-to, Jennine!! I am so, so, so happy to see a style blogger of your caliber using a tripod and remote! It gives the rest of us, who don’t have semi-profesh photographer significant other, hope. You rock, lady!!

25 kori November 10, 2010 at 12:52 am

I’m so happy I ran across this post. I was in the midst of killing my photographer aka my husband. I’ve had a tripod forever but never gave it a try. I thought the human would be easier. Wrong! It’s me and the tripod from here on out. Thx!