Nicole Miller’s Preppy Twist

by jennine on October 1, 2010

As much as the 90s have been coming back in the way of Doc Marten’s and Nirvana love, I’ve been noticing snippets here and there which really quantify what I remember from the decade. My mother always used to ask why I dressed like a potato sack. I couldn’t explain why, it just seemed right. Minimal, buttoned up, a little on the conservative side. These days when stripper shoes are worn on the runways and skirt lengths are all over the place, I’m really delighted to see what people can do bu mixing things up.

This season, I barely got in at the Nicole Miller SS2011 show, after thinking she was showing up at Lincoln Center, I noticed at just a few minutes before showtime she was in Soho instead. Silly me. But it was well worth the mad rush, as I loved how she combined the buttoned up look with sheer-sheer long skirts with long slits. It was very sexy and leggy.

The other day, I had the honor to meet Nicole Miller herself at her boutique in Soho, she was delightful! Explaining why she went with this juxtaposition, she said, she’s not so much into the ‘lady look’ so she really wanted to mix up buttoned up look with the very sheer long skirts. The sheer giving the impression of long, without the frump.

And here are the ladies, Erin and Lani from Sugarrockcatwalk. I love them! They’re so sweet, and if you are into NYC sample sales, you should check out their site. They list them all!

And of course, it was so nice to run into Yuli from Style Coalition. She’s a force to be reckoned with!

SweetyPW October 1, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Love that you met Nicole Miller! Yuli Z is so awesome :)
SweetyPW´s last blog ..Weekend Catwalk- Openings- Sales- and a Hatter My ComLuv Profile

Liana October 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I love this collection! Long sheer skirts are so amazing, especially paired with a conservative top…looks just sexy enough without being overdone and leaves a little to the imagination. Plus, I just love anything that’s sheer :)
Liana´s last blog ..Street Style- Leopards Dont Change Their Spots My ComLuv Profile

Stephanie October 2, 2010 at 4:53 am

:D Love the whole colletion!

Live.Laugh.Love.

Collette Osuna October 2, 2010 at 6:44 am

I love this feminine preppy look:)

Penny Dreadful Vintage October 2, 2010 at 12:39 pm

This looks great - simple without being boring, there are some lovely little twists in there. I hadn’t heard of this designer before, will need to check out the rest of the pics on style.com!
Penny Dreadful Vintage´s last blog ..Classic Movie Style- Think Pink! My ComLuv Profile

Kristin October 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm

A slouchy sweater couple with an up to here slit maxi skirt…OMG…love love love!

Make Do Style October 3, 2010 at 9:31 am

Looks wonderful!
Make Do Style´s last blog ..Make Do Magic My ComLuv Profile

Lani October 4, 2010 at 12:12 pm

It’s always great to see you, Jennine!

Love your photos from the Nicole Miller show. It was one of my favorite spring 2011 collections.
Lani´s last blog ..Now Wearing… My ComLuv Profile

Angela Deaton October 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I absolutely love mixing opposite trends! It makes the mind go crazy and let’s not even get started on what it does to the eyes of others!
Lovely post! And congrats on the feature!

XX