Last Call

by jennine on November 22, 2010

last call

I’ve always been a big fan of sale stores. Ever since 1988, I was 13, and and my mom first took me to Ross Dress for Less. I loved hunting for a good bargain. Over the years, I’ve been a big fan of all the discounter sale shops, but non I was so excited for as Neiman Marcus Last Call Studio. Last week, I went to the press preview as they opened their store this Friday in Paramus, New Jersey. While Last Call carries many of the same designers as Century21, Loehmans, Nordstrom Rack, and Off 5th; Last Call Studio is a bit smaller and more curated. On a side note…what’s been going on with Loehmans lately, they used to have some good things, now the stores are just empty.

The shopping experience was pretty good at Last Call, I liked the accessories, something I don’t think I visit enough going to Neiman Marcus. The contemporary clothes section was decent…though I’m a little bummed that the shoe department didn’t really compare to anything you’d see in Neiman Marcus. They had Sam Edelman, and a couple of other brands I couldn’t remember, it wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great. I’d like to see their shoe department develop in the next few years, though I’m curious as to how these luxury discount stores are faring out now that they have to compete with sites like Gilt, Swirl, and Rue La La. While it might seem like a tough competition, I still like to go in and try stuff on.

Leopard print shoes? I’m still agonizing over whether I should get leopard print shoes. I’ve been seeing some good ones… these ones are by Sam Edelman.

Feather Tank…

Zippers and Pearls

Marc Jacobs Crossover Bag

Elizabeth and James Twig Rings….

Resist Buckle Skirt…yes it’s a skirt!

I ended up getting this fur vest (with the help of a gift card they gave us!). Danny from ModMan helped pick it out. By “help”, I mean, he picked it out for me. It was an early morning, and I just wanted something different as I’m getting tired of sweaters. Dude, how many sweaters and socks can a girl get? But I love this vest, it’s super warm for the upcoming winter…

Here I’m wearing it with gifted Tory Burch jeans for a review for the  Eat, Sleep, Denim blog along with a vintage Jean Paul Gaultier blouse and the sweater and scarf are from Club Monaco. Shoes, Aldo.

1 Piper Larson November 22, 2010 at 1:21 pm

That zipper bracelet is amazing!
~Piper
Piper Larson´s last blog ..Clearing the WayMy ComLuv Profile

2 DWJ November 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I went to the Maryland preview and was pretty happy about the accessories too. I bought the studded Sam Edelman boots - LOVE! And you of all people can rock leopard print shoes. I just think of them as a neutral. I have 2 pairs in my closet at all times.
DWJ´s last blog ..Shop Suey Boutique &amp Black Friday!My ComLuv Profile

3 Jacqueline November 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Cute vest. I too love bargain stores. I just bought a black lace Valentino dress at Loehman’s that I’ve been eyeing since August. Originally it was $900 (way out of my price range), but it went on double sale and I had a 10% coupon and my Loehman’s gold card. After all is said and done I got it for a little more than $200. This of course is still a good chunk of change but it is a dress that I am confident I can wear for years and I’m so excited my patience paid off.

I agree that its hit and miss with these stores. The Loehmans I used to go to has nothing but the new one they opened a few more miles away usually delivers.
Jacqueline´s last blog ..Mamas Got a Brand New BagMy ComLuv Profile

4 Penny Dreadful Vintage November 22, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Oh oh oh, those leopard print shoes - dear god YES!
Penny Dreadful Vintage´s last blog ..Fashion and Beauty Q&ampAMy ComLuv Profile

5 The Well-Appointed Catwalk November 22, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Gilt, Rue La La, etc. get points for curating the selection, but I’m with you - I would much rather try things on at a place like Last Call. Otherwise, it’s kind of a crap shoot. As for the leopard-print shoes, I just bought a pair of Loeffler Randall leopard-print booties that were 75% off. (Yes, I like to brag about my bargains.) I say go for it!
The Well-Appointed Catwalk´s last blog ..At Home in a BookMy ComLuv Profile

6 WendyB November 22, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Liking that buckle skirt.
WendyB´s last blog ..If Looks Could Kill- Angelina Jolie’s JawlineMy ComLuv Profile

7 Sylvia November 22, 2010 at 7:18 pm

ooh i love the vest, jennine! it looks great with this look, especially the orange top. super cool. :)
Sylvia´s last blog ..Windy Weekend with a Little BarackMy ComLuv Profile

8 fashion butter November 23, 2010 at 2:04 am

Oh girl, I am the queen of sale stores. Okay, when I am in the states at least. : ) Off 5th, Last Call, Loehmann’s, Marshalls, etc. But it’s true, sometimes you go into one of those stores are see NOTHING and the next time you visit hit the jackpot.
fashion butter´s last blog ..How To- DIY fur collar with chainsMy ComLuv Profile

9 Carrie November 23, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I’m so glad you got the vest!! When I started reading after seeing that top picture all I could think was “Gee I hope she got that vest - so cute on her!” It was made for you!!

As much as I do love a little Gilt and what not, it would be nice to go into a place like this and actually see firsthand what the items look like. Luc-ky girl!

Carrie:)
Carrie´s last blog ..Lunatic FringeMy ComLuv Profile

10 Laura Connell November 23, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Agonizing? You must get leopard print shoes! They are amazing. I’m a very classic dresser and I have them and I’ve never looked black. They are terrific with an LBD, making it all about the shoes.

11 Angga Heinrich November 24, 2010 at 10:00 am

I love that buckle skirt!! and good choice of the fur vest
Angga Heinrich´s last blog ..Just me again down hereMy ComLuv Profile

12 la femme November 25, 2010 at 9:47 pm

great boots in the last photo!
la femme´s last blog ..free soonMy ComLuv Profile

13 Fashion Limbo November 29, 2010 at 8:05 am

I’m also trying to find a nice pair of leopard print shoes, ?im simply dying for a pair but haven’t come across the right ones :(
Fashion Limbo´s last blog ..I need a brooch - where to lookMy ComLuv Profile