Holiday Hair Survival Products

by jennine on November 24, 2010

holiday hair products

The holidays can be tough. Family, friends, parties, presents… trying to keep up at work. Lately, I’ve been having a “I hate my hair” phase, by lately, I meant this entire year I’ve hated my hair. Ever since I cut it back in January, I just don’t like my mop. Growing hair back is so hard, particularly the in between awkward stages when it just doesn’t look like anything. It’s hard not to chop it off (at least that’s what I did several times this year).

I’m committed to growing it back, but in the interim, hair products have become so important. Good hair products will help manage your hair so it’s possible to resist the urge to cut. Here are 4 products I’m loving right now.

DevaCurl No-Poo $18.00

Getting a Brazilian Blowout was probably the best thing I could have done for my hair. It is worth it, hopefully they get the formaldehyde sorted out or get some ventilation taken care of, because I’m addicted. They are supposed to last about three months, but my hair is still straight and glossy over three months later. I attribute a lot of this to the DevaCurl No-Poo. It’s a zero-lathering, sulfate-free hair cleanser. While it doesn’t clean my hair as well as shampoo, it does clean it enough to stretch shampoos out to about once a week. The bonus of this cleanser is that you won’t need conditioner with this so at $18 a bottle, it’s about the same price as any shampoo/conditioner you’d get at the drugstore.

L’Oréal Elnett Satin Extra Strong Hold $12.49

Hairspray is one of those hair products I had a hard time with. The hold wouldn’t last, it’s goop on. But in reality, it’s a necessity. I tried living without it, and my hair just does some funky shit. I ended up getting L’Oréal Elnett Satin Extra Strong Hold and it’s amazing. It doesn’t ‘look like hairspray’ as it’s super fine, and the hold is great, and the price is right. It’s probably one of the best hairsprays I’ve tried for the price.  Many good hairsprays are $20 up, and I just can’t bring myself to pay that much for hairspray. The only thing about this product, is it smells as old-school as the packaging, I like the packaging… but the smell? It’s like a trip to the 70’s.

Bumble and bumble Thickening Conditioner $12.95

I’ve been a huge Bumble and bumble fan for a decade. I just love their shampoos and conditioners, and this one is no exception. For the days I shampoo (always with sulfate free shampoo) I need a conditioner, and this does the trick. Lightweight and detangling, this conditioner has silk fibers in it to plumpen the strands to create thicker hair. I have very fine hair, so I’ll take anything I can get! The only thing is the price, most places it’s about $25 a bottle but I found it on Amazon for $12.95… Amazon has everything! Oh yes, and the smell, is heavenly.

Pssssst! $6.99

I’m a dry shampoo addict. My bangs gets oily quickly,  so I’ve tried all kinds of dry shampoos including the Bumble and bumble hair powder in brown…what a mess! Baptiste is favorite but they were out at Ricky’s NYC and I just bought this one because I was desperate, and didn’t want to buy a tiny bottle for $25…Psssst! is $6.99 and well, it works just as well, so I’m on this until they restock at Ricky’s then I’ll be able to tell you which one is better. Regardless…. dry shampoos are so handy to stretch out the washes particularly if you color your hair, or have a Brazilian blowout.

1 marni November 24, 2010 at 11:27 am

my bangs are the same way and i agree about the brown hair powder, although i do love bumble and bumble products just not on my bangs. this is good to know!
marni´s last blog ..our thanksgiving turkeyMy ComLuv Profile

2 Leslie November 24, 2010 at 11:41 am

So glad you mention how messy B&b brown hair powder is. I haven’t been able to find one I liked since then. Thanks for the recommendation - I’ll have to find it!

3 Sylvia November 24, 2010 at 11:47 am

i really want to try that dry shampoo! only 6.99? yes, please!

have a great thanksgiving, jennine! :)
Sylvia´s last blog ..Windy Weekend with a Little BarackMy ComLuv Profile

4 Em November 24, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Love me some dry shampoo and I had never heard of the pssst brand-much cheaper than some. Will definitely try-thank you for featuring it. I tried one once that had the EXACT smell of a funeral parlor-sickly flower smell-needless to say never used that again!

5 jennine November 24, 2010 at 1:27 pm

oh dear, i’ve never been in a funeral parlor!

6 lisa November 24, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I got dry shampoo in a goodie bag from an event I attended, and yeah, it’s definitely a lifesaver for oily bangs.
lisa´s last blog ..Product Review- Crown Shaving Co Mens Grooming ProductsMy ComLuv Profile

7 Nadine November 24, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Hope I can find that dry shampoo here in Canada! My friend spent $25 on one from Sephora and it was cr*p.
Great post!
Nadine´s last blog ..Runway to Realway to ReallyMy ComLuv Profile

8 Keira November 24, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Thank you for this post! I’m in the same awkward grow-out phase, and I’m glad to see I’m not alone ;) And I love me some Elnette, even if it does make me smell like my grandma.
Keira´s last blog ..11-30- Neutral TerritoryMy ComLuv Profile

9 madia November 24, 2010 at 3:39 pm

The DevaCurl No-Poo looks like something I may like! Ever since going natural I’ve been on the hunt for more gentle hair cleansers. I tried castille soap - didn’t like it much. I may try this.

10 Vyque November 24, 2010 at 3:59 pm

spray dry shampoo is like a totally different world from powder - loooove it!
Vyque´s last blog ..Black Friday at the Leesburg OutletsMy ComLuv Profile

11 Jessi de Bergerac November 24, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I love Bumble and bumble products! Their conditioning treatment saved me after a stylist got waaaay too ambitious with a bottle of bleach.

xx
Jessi de Bergerac´s last blog ..I will do anything you ask… unless I have been drinking then it is opposite dayMy ComLuv Profile

12 tina November 24, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Totally agree with the Elnett suggestion. Stylists used to smuggle it in from Europe until they changed the formula to comply with the US regulations. Loves it! I have fine hair and swear by Rene Furterer dry shampoo.
You might try Aveda Hair Potion. Thickens hair by 18%! I use it at my roots…and I’m addicted!
tina´s last blog ..Leopard and CapesMy ComLuv Profile

13 jennine November 25, 2010 at 7:51 am

yeah i heard about that! i really do like the hairspray, though the smell is kind of strong, but now that i think of it, i hate the way all hairsprays smell..

14 Laura Connell November 25, 2010 at 7:33 am

So funny because I think your hair always looks great. My hair is also the bain of my existence. I never even go out with it in its natural state. It is lways either blown out or flat-ironed. That’s why I only shampoo twice a week-once a week would be even better. I will try the dry shampoo and I also want to do the Keratin Complex. I wonder if Brazilian blowout is similar? Great post, btw.
Laura Connell´s last blog ..How to get more Twitter followersMy ComLuv Profile

15 jennine November 25, 2010 at 7:50 am

oooh, after reading about it, i want to do it too http://amominredhighheels.com/pros-cons-keratin-complex-coppola/
it’s supposed to last longer than a brazillan blowout.

16 la femme November 25, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I like the elnett hairspray too… feels strange to use, but works nicely

17 Ashe Mischief November 27, 2010 at 9:26 am

I don’t think I ever realized that we both have fine hair! (Maybe because yours has such great waves and mine doesn’t?)

Anyhow, I’ve been using the L’Oreal EverPure sulfate free shampoo, but may have to try your B&B and Devacurl (or maybe Deva Straight if they make it.)
Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..IFB Presents- Links a la ModeMy ComLuv Profile

18 Behind the Lashes November 30, 2010 at 8:43 am

Love Elnett! I recently converted to it and will never switch now ha.