Winter Makeup Standbys

by jennine on January 7, 2011

the natural look

If you’ve been following this blog for any amount of time, you’d probably know my love/hate with makeup. Basically this is what happened. In 1995 I learned how to wing my eyes with black eyeliner, find a red lipstick and that was it. I’ve never been able to do smokey eyes nor the dewey fresh faced look. But this year, I have decided to try to get the art of looking like a natural down.

There were a few things that were bothering me about my makeup. My eyebrow pencil was too dark and too warm. My standby gold eyeshadow clashed with my complexion (it would work if I layered it with other colors, but no, I’m too lazy). While liquid eyeliner is hot right now, god, I’m sick of it. It’s too severe and screams retro for some of my more contemporary outfits.

So I went to Sephora and picked up a bunch of basics. While they don’t seem all that sexy, I believe it’s important to have a great basic makeup routine, just for those mornings when you just want to throw on some makeup, put your hair in a ponytail and go.

• Anastasia Perfect Brow ($22)- I’ve tried every brow pencil there is to try, and none had the perfect not too hard/not too soft goes on smoothly texture as this. The color, Medium Ash/Medium Brown matches perfectly with my natural (albeit mousy) color. I was really impressed how well it stayed on, but I’m not sure if it was the pencil or the Benefit SpeedBrow, either way, it stayed on all day. Something very important for a girl with sparse eyebrows.
  • Benefit SpeedBrow ($16) : I reviewed the SpeedBrow a few months ago as I got it in the Evolving Influence Gift Bag. I said it before that it became a ‘must have’ and I’ll say it again. It running out prompted my trip to Sephora in the first place! I just had to get a new one! The SpeedBrow keeps my brows in place and sets in the pencil, so I don’t have to reapply my eyebrows half way through the day.
  • Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes ($17): Over the years, I’ve had a love/hate relationship with eyeliner. The reason why I stayed with liquid so long, is because pencil smudges, but not so with this eyeliner. And I rub my eyes! Yeah, a nightmare customer for cosmetics companies. Anyway, the staying power of this pencil liner is remarkable. I just have to show a before after shot…which usually with a normal liner, there’d be smudges all over the place.

(gotta love up close pics with flash)

• Two Faced Eye Shadow Duo: I know what boys want ($17): This one was the biggest surprise. First of all because I bought the wrong color due to the crazy labeling system they have on the display. But I figured why not give it a try, I can always go back and get a different shadow. It turns out that this color is perfect, the perfect balance subtlety and doing it’s job, which is looking good. It went on smoothly and what’s more, is it stayed on all day (with my eye-rubbing) I was surprised how little creasing there was at the end of the day. It certainly made me into a Two Faced convert.

Some other makeup essentials I use that didn’t get picked up on this latest Sephora run: MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation with SPF15, Laura Mercier Secret Camoflauge, Benefit BadGal Waterproof Mascara or L’Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara (I alternate), Benefit HighBrow,  L’Oreal Studio Secrets Primer (reviewed here), Sephora Lipgloss (I loose glosses like you wouldn’t believe)

What are your make up standbys?

midtowngirl January 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I love your natural look Jennine!!! I used the Speed brow from the EI gift bag too & have been hooked ever since. I also use Anastasia’s white highlighter for under the eyebrow & blend it with a q-tip (takes 2 secs) & it totes makes my eyes pop & makes me look super awake…

You look beautiful <3

jennine January 7, 2011 at 3:49 pm

wow, you know i never heard of anastasia until recently…and now i’m a total convert, would love to try the white highlighter after i finish the benefit highbrow which i’ve been using for years and years.

my goal is to have skin that looks like yours, but i have a feeling it’s going to take alot of money!

Ashe Mischief January 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm

You know…. some bloggers I try the products they recommend, get disappointed, and then stop trusting them. (HAH!)

However….I trust that your recommendations will be true. From one eye-rubber to another.

My products I LOVE…. Urban Decay Primer. I think, right now, that’s the ONLY product I’m fiercely loyal to. I suck at using bad gal… the brush is too big and I end up with “eyeliner.”

jennine January 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm

hahha, wellll the proof is in the morning/night shot… i didn’t reapply at all.
i know what you mean.. but i guess people look for different things. i look for staying power in makeup because nothing is worse than having smudged makeup or missing eyebrows at the end of the day. it’s bad enough i get puffy eyes!

DWJ January 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm

You know I’m a beauty junkie! Lately I’ve been doing super dewy/glowing face with flushed cheeks and a bold lip. I’ve been hooked on: Bobbi Brown skin foundation, CoverGirl translucent loose powder, Bare Escentuals Pure Radiance (put it in your tear duct area and at the tops of your cheekbones and done your nose), L’Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes and MAC lipstick in Ruby Woo (it is the perfect red matte lipstick for almost any skin tone). This is my simple/pretty/classic look and it’s been ushering me into 2011.
DWJ´s last blog ..Well Hello There- 2011My ComLuv Profile

jennine January 7, 2011 at 4:02 pm

You’ve been talking about Bobby Brown skin foundation forever! I’m going to have to try that next…. I love Bare Ecentuals, but they seem like such a commitment, for everything you need to buy all the proper brushes. It’s kind of expensive…but maybe I should check it out.

DWJ January 9, 2011 at 8:44 am

If you buy a starter kit it comes with the big kabuki brush but I also buy brushes from Crown Brush - fabulous quality at low prices. Believe me, I can talk beauty all day :)

Beka January 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm

You look absolutely gorgeous in these photos, Jennine! Aww…I miss your face.
Anyway, I can’t wait to try the Anastasia Perfect Brown. I, too, have sparse brows and am always on a neverending quest to find the perfect brow pencil.

Thanks for sharing!

jennine January 7, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I miss YOUR face! You’ve been gone too long!
The Anastasia Perfect Brow is great… and I don’t say that about brows very often! It’s so harrowing finding the right brow makeup, because you never really know how well it works until you’ve tried it for a few days.

Tami January 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I can’t live without my shu uemura brow pencil and their liquid liner….and Guerlain’s kisskiss baby lip balm is the perfect lip color for that gentle layer of moisturizing color, but without a thick lipstick feeling.
Tami´s last blog ..Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Repair MoisturizerMy ComLuv Profile

jennine January 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Oh I have the shu ueumura white liner and it’s great… though once i got their mascara and was a bit disappointed. So I’m going to have to give their liner a try.. Guerlain’s makeup is always so lush!

Sally January 7, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I just adore a natural look. And Speed Brow sounds like sheer brilliance!

I’m a concealer-a-holic, so Benefit’s Erase Paste and Bo-ing are on my must-have list.
Sally´s last blog ..In Defense of PrettyMy ComLuv Profile

jennine January 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Talk to me about concealer… I can’t go anywhere without it. Any. Where.

Nadine January 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I love my Sephora brushes - I feel like no matter what I apply with them it looks great. Probably not the case but attitude is everything!
My standby is an eye shadow trio from Rimmel actually, that enhances my green/hazel eyes.
Nadine´s last blog ..Runway to Realway Betsey &amp WuMy ComLuv Profile

Midnight Cowgirl January 7, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Face primer and mascara are my most important standbys.
Midnight Cowgirl´s last blog ..Links a la Mode- The IFB Weekly RoundupMy ComLuv Profile

vanessa January 7, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I’m cheap but the eyeliner sounds worth it. I’m also a rubber. I hate when I do my eyeshadow, and then rub it all off.
vanessa´s last blog ..Queen Latifah People Choice Awards Fashion She deserves her own postMy ComLuv Profile

Shailender @ Travel India January 8, 2011 at 4:42 am

Hi Jennine,

You are looking very gorgeous, men always prefer beautiful ladies and I think, men who visit this post must like your beauty.
Shailender @ Travel India´s last blog ..Merry Christmas &amp Happy Holidays from India DarshanMy ComLuv Profile

Penny Dreadful Vintage January 8, 2011 at 4:53 am

I need that eyeliner, I always end up looking like a zombie by midday. Even if I think I haven’t rubbed my eyes at all! I treated myself to some Estee Lauder eyeshadoe last year and after years of cheap eyeshadow, I now understand why some people spend proper money on cosmetics. It was a revelation.
Penny Dreadful Vintage´s last blog ..Vintage Film Style- The Railway ChildrenMy ComLuv Profile

Carly January 8, 2011 at 10:00 am

You will laugh…but my makeup staple for everyday is COVERGIRL LIPSLICKS. I have yet to find a better on the go gloss….perfect color, easy to apply, not super gooky, just perfect….and the price tag of under 5 bucks doesn’t hurt either.

C
Carly´s last blog ..SA VALocally MadeGlobally InspiredMy ComLuv Profile

Ann January 8, 2011 at 12:23 pm

reminder: hair tutorial!!!
Ann´s last blog ..Top 10 Cult Beauty Products Pt 1 - SkincareMy ComLuv Profile

WendyB January 8, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Your brows are always AMAZING! I’m gonna get your brow stuff. My brows never recovered from the tweezing I inflicted on them as a teenager.
WendyB´s last blog ..Now You See Me- Now You Don’tMy ComLuv Profile

Em January 9, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love just mascara and some kind of lipgloss. I usually use lavera navy (doesn’t look blue on but makes the whites of your eyes brighter) or tarte mascara because it’s scary to me to think of absorbing harsh chemicals. Both lavera and tarte seem to have staying power even when I do Tai Chi or yoga in the middle of the day and will not have time to reapply/adjust make-up.

Melina January 9, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Love your natural look! Smokey, dark makeup works for some, but it’s always refreshing to see a style blogger with a more natural look. I’d love to try that eye shadow duo because your eyes look amazing here!

xx Melina
Melina´s last blog ..We didnt need dialogue We had faces!My ComLuv Profile

Angga Heinrich January 9, 2011 at 7:47 pm

You look great!!! I really love my pixie smudge pot from target. I have those small asian eyes so eyeliner is important to me also mascara
Angga Heinrich´s last blog ..Sweater BustierMy ComLuv Profile

lisa January 10, 2011 at 1:36 am

Your makeup look is so pretty!

Getting up early and doing my makeup in 5 minutes doesn’t leave a lot of time for experimentation. Most days I wear Clinique City Block Sheer SPF 25 (a tinted sunblock that evens out my skin somewhat…I regard it as my non-foundation foundation), NARS stick concealer, NARS Orgasm blush, and Cover Girl LashBlast Length. Then on the way to work I apply whatever lip balm or lipstick is in my purse atm.
lisa´s last blog ..The View from the Hot SeatsMy ComLuv Profile

Laura Connell January 10, 2011 at 9:19 am

I’m going to try that brow pencil as I also have sparse brows. And I won a Sephora gift certificate from Lipstick and Luxury! I’ve got that baby spent already. The first picture of you is amazing: very sexy!

liz January 10, 2011 at 9:20 am

Just picked up Laura Mercier too since my beloved givenchy was sold out in my color, sadness. I’m actually going to return the make-up forever pencil though, it’s too light/soft for my eyes, going back to ysl. It def. smudges more, but I found these pre-moistened q-tips “smudgies” at Rickys. You can pack one in your bag and do a touch up half way through the day.

marni January 10, 2011 at 11:59 am

going to sephora in 3o minutes and buying the aqua eyes eyeliner in bronze green!
i’ve been on the hunt for this color and from your post it sounds like this is the type of eyeliner i’ve been searching for.
thank you! xo!
marni´s last blog .. my orange crushMy ComLuv Profile

Marissa January 10, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Oh my goodness, you look so lovely here, Jennine! I love the softer eyeliner on you. Well done! :)
Marissa´s last blog ..Places I Have Never BeenMy ComLuv Profile

rachel January 10, 2011 at 5:46 pm

love your eyes!
i rarely spend more than 5 mins on my makeup unless it’s evening and i’m going out.
my every-day go to-s: Bobbie Brown tinted eye brighter (swear by this!) and cream shadow stick for long lasting eye makeup. Nars volumizing mascara is the only mascara I have every bought consistently and the only one I love. My new favorite face lotion for winter: Yes To Cucumbers Facial Hydrating Lotion. Surprisingly thick but not greasy. Lips: Alba coconut cream clear lip gloss-doesn’t stay on long because it tastes so good!
rachel´s last blog ..cream owlsMy ComLuv Profile