Between Black and White

black and white

by jennine on January 14, 2011

Dude it’s friggin’ cold outside… I have cute outfits I’d like to wear, indoors, and it’s so hard to get good pics indoors when you live in a tiny apartment. Unless you want to see my crazy apartment, um no?

Yesterday I met Monica to take outfit shots. Feeling insecure about my winter coats, and wanting to visit OAKNYC’s 50% off sale after brunch one day, I found this coat on the sale rack for a super affordable price. While the coat is huge, the reason why I got it, was because it was roomy enough to fit a blazer, chunky sweater, fur vest,  basically anything too big to fit under a regular coat. It’s been great, considering I recently got a wool blazer from Joie on Gilt was just too bulky to fit under a coat, well not this coat, it fits fine!

Here I’m also wearing a pair of jeans courtesy of Levi’s when I went in to test the new Curve ID line the started last year. It was indeed a lot of fun, and I was really surprised how well the jeans fit… it’s like heaven. And great for the blistery cold days we’ve been having lately.

Wearing: Coat: OakNYC • Blazer: Joie • Scarf: Burro • Tee shirt: Urban Outfitters • Shoes: Aldo • Bag: Zac Posen borrowed from my friend Katlin • Jeans: courtesy of Levi’s Curve ID

•••

Photos by Monica Shulman

The Farmgirl Fashionista January 14, 2011 at 1:13 pm

That is a great coat…oh, and bag…and boots! Great layering! Love the use of the different photo color/concepts!!

Courtney January 14, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I really need to get a bulky/looser coat to fit blazer, etc. under. As soon as it gets cold I have to just stop wearing that stuff and I hate it, this was a good fix for the problem!

xoxo ~ Courtney
Courtney´s last blog ..The Great Sequin Dress DownMy ComLuv Profile

Jessica Kelly January 14, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I TOTALLY feel you! Outside just shoots much better than a tiny apartment. And its so freakin cold in NYC that I feel like I wear the same few outfits everyday because of the coats I switch between that cover my cute outfits :( I’m already ready for sundress weather!
Jessica Kelly´s last blog ..Links a la ModeMy ComLuv Profile

Sex, Drugs or Rock 'n Roll? January 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Very cute! Looks cozy and warm! And I agree with the Farmgirl Fashionista…. those boots are to die for! xo
Sex, Drugs or Rock ‘n Roll?´s last blog ..Sex- Pizza or ConfidenceMy ComLuv Profile

Penny Dreadful Vintage January 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Are you nuts Jennine, part of the reason I like reading blogs is getting to snoop on people’s crazy apartments! So agree on having a big coat to layer over chunky jumpers, my smart belted tweed is lovely but no good for when I really need to bulk up. Glad to see the boots are still going strong :)
Penny Dreadful Vintage´s last blog ..Vintage Style and Retro Sales Picks- ClothesMy ComLuv Profile

Collette Osuna January 14, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I like the look of the bigger coat….its awesome for all that layering…your hair looks fabulous here!!

Stop by and say Hello:)
Enter my Lulus Giftcard Giveaway!!♥
Collette Osuna´s last blog .. Friend Friday- Time to Get Dressed My ComLuv Profile

Sylvia January 14, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Beautiful photos, Jennine, and brilliant idea. we should all own a coat that lets us layer whatever we want underneath! :)
Sylvia´s last blog ..Office StaplesMy ComLuv Profile

Chessa! January 14, 2011 at 7:15 pm

you look amazing and not letting on at all about how cold it REALLY was. brrr! I think we need to start scouting indoor locations. :)
Chessa!´s last blog ..Looking Great When Its Freezing OutsideMy ComLuv Profile

Nickie Frye January 14, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Oh my gosh, you look so pretty in these photos! I love your new coat, that’s a cutie for sure. And I’m glad you’re showing Levi’s jeans. I recently picked up a couple of pairs & it was such a relief to not have a bedazzled ass for once. SO sick of over embellished jeans. :P
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..TUTORIAL- How to take pictures using a remote and tripodMy ComLuv Profile

meligrosa January 14, 2011 at 9:05 pm

luv that first shot a lot, will make a great framed version. those booties look pretty walking-the miles comfy
hope ur surviving the blizzards fellow california girl. kisses!! xxomeli
meligrosa´s last blog ..Los events this weekendMy ComLuv Profile

vanessa January 14, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I would rather see your wearable outfit outside any day over a pretty one that is confined to the indoors. The blazer is really cute.
My Heart Blogged
vanessa´s last blog ..Outfit of the day 9 Red- and blueMy ComLuv Profile

liana January 14, 2011 at 11:50 pm

gorgeous photos! i love that jacket and your boots…and i’m glad you found a coat that can fit so many layers, i hate when i try to wear layers under a jacket and they get all bunched up and then i look like a fat teddy bear. :P

Fashion Bag 411
liana´s last blog ..New Year- New StartMy ComLuv Profile

Shailender @ Valentine Vacation January 15, 2011 at 5:00 am

You’re really looking gorgeous in these photographs. I must say that you’ve got very stylish dressing sense.
Shailender @ Valentine Vacation´s last blog ..Merry Christmas &amp Happy Holidays from India DarshanMy ComLuv Profile

Laura Connell January 15, 2011 at 11:38 am

Fitting a blazer or chunky knit sweater under a winter coat is definitely an issue as it is with a trench. I find it difficult to get a fashionable coat that is also roomy enough to house layers underneath but you seem to have done it. The search continues!

charles January 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I love your photos & your outfit. Totally gorgeous! xx
charles´s last blog ..funny people- whitney cummingsMy ComLuv Profile

Alice Olive January 15, 2011 at 4:53 pm

You look amazing in these photos! New York agrees with you and Monica shoots you so well!

Sundresses for Women January 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm

That’s a great outfit, and here I thought it was only possible to look good in the summer when we can show some skin, but even in the winter you look great !

Alicia January 17, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’ve been looking for the perfect oversized jacket as well. All of my coats / trenches are pretty formed fitting and unfortunately make layering difficult!
Alicia´s last blog ..BittersweetMy ComLuv Profile

Rose January 18, 2011 at 2:40 am

This is such a beautiful look, warm and chic. So glad I found your blog!
Rose´s last blog ..And this is how my imaginary boyfriend will dressMy ComLuv Profile

Kiki January 21, 2011 at 1:44 pm

great look - love the bag!
Kiki´s last blog ..Dawid Tomaszewski auf der Fashion Week Berlin!My ComLuv Profile

Anika January 25, 2011 at 10:48 am

You are so beautiful! I love your style, very confident effortless chic :) I love the layered look! I know what you mean about shooting inside, it is impossible to get it right. I still go outside for my OOTDs, and as I live in Norway it gets really cold lol. What a girl won`t do for the love of blogging :) hugs xx Anika
Anika´s last blog ..Coming into focus in loud stripes and floralsMy ComLuv Profile