Response from TheCoveted [dot] com : Don’t talk about us or we’ll sue

by jennine on January 27, 2011

Last Friday, I was diligently working on Evolving Influence, when I started noticing tweets about the launch of a highly anticipated new blog called The Coveted. Honestly, it felt like a trip to the Twilight Zone, because The Coveted has been here for almost four years. When I clicked on the link, it was to a post on Refinery29, and what’s more, The Coveted wasn’t  The Coveted at all.

Privately, I was devastated. Angry. Disheartened. Deflated. The only thing that kept me from losing it was the outcry from my fellow bloggers. Without my readers, the blogging community and my most of all my friends, I honestly don’t know what would have happened. I wasn’t sure what to say, except “I’m disheartened about this. But I gotta keep focusing on the work I’m doing.”
I was about to let it go, until Monday when I got an email in my mailbox with “Welcome to The Coveted” in the subject line. Not only did they know of my blog, they subscribed me to their mailing list without my permission. With the outpour of emails I received asking if this was my project, and the anger from the bloggers, I was left with but one choice.

Thanks to a recommendation, I went to Quinn Heraty who specializes in trademark law. Ms. Heraty and I decided the first course of action was to send  Erin Kleinberg, Stephanie Mark, and Jake Rosenberg of  thecoveted.com a Cease and Desist letter so we could find solution amicably. Here is the letter we sent:

To our letter offering to find a amicable solution, their response is this:

Basically, they responded by saying if I don’t stop taking about this, they will sue me.

•••

Update: Rachel at The Greyest Ghost started a petition:
If you were in fact confused by the appearance of thecoveted.com and were unable to distinguish it from the-coveted.com without further research, or clarification from Ms. Jacob herself, please sign this petition in a show of support.”

Support The Original Coveted: Sign the petition here

•••

I want to say thank you to everyone who supported me behind the scenes. You know who you are. Also, thanks to everyone who posted about the whole debacle. Here is a list of the posts I am aware of, if one is missed, or if you come write a new one, do let me know and Ill add you to this list.

• Eminent Domain Name: What To Do When Your Brand Is Coveted : Signature 9
  • Who’s the Real THE COVETED?:  Fashionablymarketing.me
  • Blog Wars: The-Coveted.com vs. TheCoveted.com Naming Controversy: Racked
  • The Coveted Controversy: High Fashion Girl
  • Schamloser Namensklau: The-Coveted vs TheCoveted : Stylish Kids in Riot
  • What’s in a Name? Perfect Midnight
  • Women, the webs, and even some WTFs: Bikes in the City
  • BoF Daily Digest | Contentious coveted domains, Kisses for Couture, Prada IPO in HK, Emmanuelle Alts Vogue Paris, Digital King
  • What Happens When Another Website Steals Your Name? Greyest Ghost
  • Copyright Infringement: The Coveted vs. The Coveted: Beautifully Invisible
  • Stop Promoting TheCoveted.com! Dressful
  • Good Reads | How Coveted : Fashion Copius
  • The Coveted Dot Com Controversy : Betsy J
  • The Law is Meant to Protect, Not Bully: The Sunday Best
  • A Tale of Two Coveteds: The Lowe Factor
  • The Blog War is On! Marvelous Things
  • The-Coveted vs. The Coveted: Morally Dubious Shenanigans in the Online World : Liberty London Girl
  • An Open Letter to The Coveted.com: Signature 9
  • The-Coveted vs. The Coveted: Lawyers Weigh in on Blog War: Fashionista
  • All kinds of fuckery! Sister Wolf
  • Being Coveted : Shoe Daydreams
  • Trademarks-What you need to know: Grit & Glamour
  • The Coveted: Half girl
  • Starting out on a bad rap: still as a rose
  • ¡Pelea de bloggers! Soy Gerard
  • Blog Wars: Potent Cocktails

WendyB January 27, 2011 at 10:58 pm

I signed!

Edita January 27, 2011 at 11:31 pm

This is non-sense! You have my support - petition signed!
Edita´s last blog ..Sorry- I’m boring in the winterMy ComLuv Profile

Lisa January 28, 2011 at 12:06 am

I think the only reason you are so bothered by this is because of the remarkable success thecoveted.com has received. As you can see, the word “Coveted” is used in numerous different fashion disciplines and is by no way your name in specific. Suck it up and face it that someone else just had a better fashion idea than you.

Karen January 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I completely agree with you…this is just a case of who is getting more publicity and they are just mad its not them

YM Ousley January 29, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Who let the trolls in?
YM Ousley´s last blog ..An Open Letter to TheCovetedcomMy ComLuv Profile

Merl January 30, 2011 at 1:00 am

First off, if you’re going to take the time to leave a negative comment, grow some balls and leave some contact information. Secondly, it’s not merely the word ‘coveted’ that Jennine is rightfully upset over, but the blog name ‘the coveted.’ Numerous followers of her blog have expressed confusion over this issue, which only strengthens her argument. I doubt this many people would be backing her if it was merely a case of jealousy.

jill (polkadot) January 28, 2011 at 4:06 am

Hi Jennine, I don’t know how I didn’t know you before - but of course I know IFB and had already joined before I went thru copyright infringement with Spanish Elle (digital) in December - and at the suggestion of the FBFF girls, I applied for my post to be on IFB - which you so kindly put up!

The way you described the experience, I really identified and have been feeling the same way. I was also blown away by the support of other bloggers - and also by the extraordinarily bad behaviour behind the scenes that I’ve been dealing with - and so has Roz, of Clothes, Cameras and Coffee. The helplessness.

I’ll contact you privately as well, but wanted to add my support publicly. In my case, they took the post down, slagged me off behind my back, sent the email to me BY MISTAKE, then realising their error, asked how much money I’d want to go away. I worked with a lovely lawyer in Madrid, we came up with a reasonable amount, the Spanish Elle editor didn’t reply to the lawyers letters, and finally last week we got a letter pleading poverty (his exact words were ‘Spain is a poor country) and instead offering us what my husband called a ‘f-u response) of less than 5% of what we asked.

In my case I - and Roz’s family- decided to let it go and just if we get that pathetic sum, donate it to the hospital where she was having her back surgery. In your case, this is far more serious and sinister: this isn’t just posting a few photos and taking the post down. This is appalling.

And unacceptable. I have a feeling the UnCoveted is about to understand the collective power of the blogging community.

Jill @polkadot23
jill (polkadot)´s last blog ..talk to the handMy ComLuv Profile

aurpera January 28, 2011 at 4:10 am

Hey Jennine, I’m so sorry! I’m trying to sign the petition but in the “preview signature”, the buttons are missing and I’m not able to sign.
aurpera´s last blog ..aurpera updated Wed Jan 26 2011 10-14 am CSTMy ComLuv Profile

Ginta January 28, 2011 at 4:34 am

I got confused by the other site too. In the beginning I thought it’s just one more of your many projects. I love what they’re doing. But it’s wrong! Absolutely wrong! Your blog is well known, so, using your blog’s name for their benefit is unacceptable! I support you with my whole heart!
Ginta´s last blog ..cocoonMy ComLuv Profile

Raquel January 28, 2011 at 6:08 am

This is unacceptable. I just signed the petition Jennine.
Raquel´s last blog ..Rain Rain- Go AwayMy ComLuv Profile

Chloe January 28, 2011 at 6:52 am

As I said when I signed the petition - this is a slap in the face to every blogger who has worked hard to build a reputation and a brand. Go team Jennine, all the way.
Chloe´s last blog ..Let’s just pretend it’s Christmas- okayMy ComLuv Profile

Coco January 28, 2011 at 7:42 am

The fact that they are threatening to sue if you don’t stop talking about it is absurd!! Anyone with half a brain checks out their desired name before buying a url so to claim they were unaware of yours is ridiculous (especially as yours is also so successful within their very industry!). I will be honest and say I like their idea for content but due to the way they have threatened you I have no respect for their content, their idea or them! There is undoubtedly going to be confusion between the sites and given all you’ve done for the blogosphere with IFB (which I am proud to be a member of) they are fighting the wrong battle. They should accept they’ve made a mistake and rebrand - quickly!

Petition is signed, you have my full support! Xx

Lee Oliveira January 28, 2011 at 8:36 am

During the years/months/days and hours that you spend building on your website and trying to create a respectful relationship with strangers which are all connected to “FASHION” you become unique and well respected.
Now! The nasty party comes. When you find somebody with no true idea or personality trying to be you that is so unacceptable.
I am sure there is plenty of fresh ideas out there. Having said that, I would like to wish the very best to the clone “The Coveted” but mind you.. You already started on the wrong side.
FASHION IS ALL ABOUT UNIQUENESS.

jen January 28, 2011 at 8:49 am

I completely understand this is outrageously unfair, but I was thinking, maybe you could rename your blog to something like “the originally coveted” or “uniquely coveted” or something like that. I doubt you will win this war, as the others seem to be a high-profile site with lots of connections and money behind them. You will keep your readers and users either way, this is way more popular than the other nonsense. Keep up the good spirit!
jen´s last blog ..Rückblick 2010- AlltagsverschönererMy ComLuv Profile

Suzanna January 28, 2011 at 9:13 am

I signed. I had someone take my blog URL six months ago, and write about the same subject in a negative light. Am standing up for Jennine and the original The Coveted.

Laura Connell January 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

They live right around the corner from me! Thank you for posting this cautionary tale for all bloggers to learn the business side of our trade and to look into trademarks to protect our brand. I hope it all works out well for you, Jennine. There is a reason for everything so have faith that it will all unfold the way it’s meant to.

elena January 28, 2011 at 10:29 am

I was definitely very confused! I just went by one of my daily blogs I read, and she just did a post on this other “The Coveted”, and I totally thought she was talking about your blog! It is very misleading, and EXACTLY the same name as your website. It does not matter that their web “address” doesn’t have a “-” between the “the” and “coveted”. They are calling themselves the exact same name as you, and you have already established yourself as The Coveted with a strong following. It’s not right, and they should change their website name. Definitely signing the petition.

Nubiasnonsense January 28, 2011 at 10:53 am

Hey Jennine!

I just wanted to point out that I sincerely believe they’re wrong because this is indeed confusing. I’m the kind of person that forgets little things, For example: If your email is Jennine_@gmail.com I might accidentally forget the underscore(_) and send it to the wrong email. You have the-coveted.com and I am sure without a doubt many people go to thecoveted.com thinking it is yours…So they’re technically getting hits when people think they’re going to YOUR blog but accidentally go to theirs . Not to mention also, when people were writing about them so many individuals thought it was YOUR new project.

I’ve heard their page has good content and I’m not bashing it HOWEVER, You are SUCH A RESPECTED PERSON IF THE BLOG COMMUNITY and you do so much for so many blogger with IFB and try to keep this media thriving. They’re a fairly new website and if they want to “claim” that they weren’t aware of your name then why not simply change it? I’m sure it wouldn’t affect them… It actually might have people respect them more if they just admit it was an unfortunate mistake and change it.

Anyway, the law works in funny ways sometimes. This is a very sad thing and I wish you nothing but the best. I signed the petition also =)

I look forward to seeing you at the IFB con. Stay strong and beautiful!

Matita January 28, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I can’t help but voice my opinion. I don’t consider myself a client of yours but a fellow reader, so staying mum is not an option.
I believe if anyone has the real intention of solving this in an amicable way, they should do so without further ado.
It is confusing to see another “The Coveted” on the web. There are so many ways the word “coveted” could be used to avoid this confusion… The expression “The Coveted” is undoubtedly associated with your name in the blogosphere and that’s a fact.
Regardless of the outcome of this, at the end of the day, you’ll still be here and we’ll still be here with you. You have my support.

Fashnlvr January 28, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Hey! I just wanted to let you know there is another voice raised in your defense! A small photo essay since we can’t “talk” about it.

LeahBee January 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I think that it is full of the bullshit for thecoveted.com to ride on the coattails of the name you built for yourself. Petition signed and I have no doubt whatsoever that you will win this. Stay strong and know that we’re all pulling for ya

jd January 28, 2011 at 2:08 pm

What total assholes! I was practically laughing at their lawyer’s response - what a joke. Yeah right they’ve never heard of you - and if so that says a lot for their interest in fashion and their internet skills - real savvy businesswomen aren’t they?
‘Stop saying we’re mean girls and we might let you hang out with us’ - puhleeeze. Stand strong against awful people Jennine you have a lot of support. Personally, I know how stressful taking legal action is, try not to let it get to you - you are in the right so put it out of your mind as much as you can and let justice prevail. Whoooopah!

Mallory January 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I love that their lawyer’s letter says their clients were unaware of your website. Oh really? Then how did they put you on their email list?

Geez.

Suzanna January 28, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I’ve spent some time today thinking about this issue, and to me it rests not on the past participle “coveted” but on the definite article “the” in combination with “coveted.” This is the brand. It is denoted by these two together, which the other site clearly has infringed upon (i. e. not “A Coveted, ” regardless of the fact that this makes no sense).

Mish Dish January 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I am speechless. You have my support. Sending you much love and strength at this time. xo Mish

A Girl, A Style January 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Am genuinely outraged on your behalf! While obviously you’re not claiming to have coined the term ‘coveted’, the above comment is absolutely right in that you’ve built TheCoveted as your brand, and this is a blatant rip-off of everything you’ve worked long and hard for.

Have signed, and wishing you all the best with this!

Miss B xx
A Girl, A Style´s last blog ..Grapevines and Sunburnt Hills- The Barossa Valley- South AustraliaMy ComLuv Profile

Caroline Ashley January 28, 2011 at 7:10 pm

If this gets brought before a judge, I sincerely hope that The Wannabe Coveted gets laugh at before the presiding judge rules in your favor.

And if it turns out that The Wannabe Coveted’s lawyer plays golf with the judge every week and they win, it will never mean that they were justified or “right”. I feel in my gut that no matter what the outcome is, you will end up on top. You have been very classy through this whole thing, and the people who really matter will remember that.
Caroline Ashley´s last blog ..Support The Original The Coveted petitionMy ComLuv Profile

eva.lu January 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm

It’s like someone coming out with ” Rolling-Stone Magazine ” !

One more in support for you Miss Janine & TheCoveted { the original , of course! }

xo

Nickie Frye January 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Jennine, you rule. You are the one & only Coveted (the-, the, or otherwise). This is completely preposterous & there is no chance you won’t win this battle. Petition signed.

xoxo
Nickie
Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Oihana GaraluceMy ComLuv Profile

Emily January 28, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Ah, the good old “cease and desist” letter. Having a “bona fide” interest in a name is not a valid case against, essentially, using the exact name of another site. That’s like if I decided to make a website called “Perez-Hilton.com” instead of “Perezhilton.com”

As long as you don’t directly slander the other website, the lawyer’s letter is a completely harmless scare tactic. There is actually nothing they can do.
Emily´s last blog ..Obscure reference of the dayMy ComLuv Profile

Rachel @ The Greyest Ghost January 30, 2011 at 1:02 am

Total side note, but the Perez Hilton web site was originally called Page Six Six Six. That was enough for Page Six and the NY Post to legally force him to change his site name.
Rachel @ The Greyest Ghost´s last blog ..What Happens When Another Website Steals Your NameMy ComLuv Profile

Denise January 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Yikes. You poor thing. Any benefit of the doubt I might have given was crapped on when you mentioned that they signed you up to their email subscriptions. What kind of game are they playing?

It’s rather ironic that people who identify themselves as purveyors of tastemaking are operating with such vulgarity.

If budget permits, it’s always best to snatch up the domains that are closest to your name once you achieve a high profile to protect yourself.

I’m signing, and I’m sorry you have to deal with this.

Chessa! January 28, 2011 at 8:51 pm

signed. x

Helene January 28, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I think its deplorable that you are turning a legal issue in to a full fledged feud. Your blog is decent, and you obviously care about your reputation, why would you destroy it by publicly instigating a fight. Not only is thecoveted.com a website, not a blog, but it is on a complete different level than your blog. thecoveted.com is one of the best up and coming fashion websites I have come across lately. Keep private matters private. Petitions are petty and embarrassing. I stand behind thecoveted.com, which you are inadvertently advertising on your blog. Act your age darling.

jennine January 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I know Americans don’t know as much about Canada as they should, but don’t you also have freedom of speech and political activism up there? Miss Helene from a Toronto IP address?

Macala Wright January 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Helen, if it happened to me and I tried to resolve things nicely and got no where, I would do the same thing. New new site, while pretty, “BRANDJACKED” Jennine’s work knowingly.

If you’re starting a company or a website, would you not research who owns every variation there is out there? I know I did when I started mine. The one who should act their age and show decorum are the designers who pulled a Forever 21 style move and infringed on someone else design.
Macala Wright´s last blog ..Like- OMG! DIY Style UCG For Rag &amp BoneMy ComLuv Profile

LeahBee January 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I think it’s deplorable that you are turning something that has nothing to do with you into a full fledged personal assault. Your opinions are obviously yours, and you obviously care about what you have to say, but why would you destroy your credibility by publicly instigating a fight? You are showing that you think it’s okay for someone to steal your reputation and use that to get your name on top without actually putting any effort forth on your own. This blog is one of the very best fashion blogs I have ever come across. Keep private opinions private. Comments like yours are petty and embarrassing. I stand behind the-coveted.com, which you are giving more traffic to just by coming to this page to rant. Act your age (which judging by this, is probably very small), dearest.

jennine January 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Why are you posting identical-ish comments in different names?

YM Ousley January 29, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Helene, several bloggers who’ve spent years and countless hours building their blogs around a name and creating a brand think it’s deplorable that 3 adult people - I’m assuming - couldn’t be bothered to search for the name they wanted to see how it was being used.

I originally wanted Signature7 for my website. I saw that it was taken by someone completely different, but the point is that it was taken and I moved on to another name.

I’m not sure if you’re a plant from whatever PR agency is handling things for the .com people, but your logic is as hollow as their attorney’s is if you fail to grasp the basics of first use. If I launched Luis Vuitton tomorrow, and said the materials were better quality, people liked my handbags and accessories, it wouldn’t make a difference and Louis Vuitton would have every right to sue me out of existence.

The .com is claiming no one was confused, there’s nothing petty or embarrassing about asking people who were confused to say so.

Frankly this whole blog/website thing is petty, and while the .com site is nice, they didn’t invent Google.
YM Ousley´s last blog ..An Open Letter to TheCovetedcomMy ComLuv Profile

midtowngirl January 29, 2011 at 12:16 am

Signed! You have my support as always dahling <3

Paola January 29, 2011 at 2:33 am

Wow! That is so NOT fair! I took the time to sign your petition. I hope you win, because people like that shouldn’t get away with such theft! D: You have my full support :)

TheBlueEyedBoy January 29, 2011 at 3:06 am

Petition signed, with all my support !
TheBlueEyedBoy´s last blog ..Top 15 looks from ParisMy ComLuv Profile

karen rowland January 29, 2011 at 5:25 am

I signed too. Frankly, there IS room on this planet for everyone to try to get a piece of the pie and all good luck to this new site……..- but this is BUSINESS 101- You check out the NAME of your project FIRST! it’s basic . it’s stupid. it’s simple. but it IS STEP #1 !
This is ridiculous- Naturally I signed your petition and am in full support of you! You go!

young January 29, 2011 at 7:08 am

I signed the petition and wrote a tiny note about it on my blog: http://half-girl.org/blog/?p=2803
It’s not much, but I hope it helps you.
Good luck! You have a lot of support around the globe.
young´s last blog ..The CovetedMy ComLuv Profile

Claire * Lola Is Beauty January 29, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hi Jennine lovely, I wanted to add my support and have signed the petition. When I first looked at their site, I thought it must be your newest project. In any case it seems originality is not their strong point: layout/photography = a rip off of The Selby, concept = same as closetvisit.com. So sorry they have decided not to admit they were in the wrong and change the name - but more worrying is that they seem to know of your site, yet still think they can take your name.

AngieMontreal January 29, 2011 at 11:23 am

Just heard about this and am blown away by the tackiness, and embarassed that the “new” coveted is Canadian…I thought we were supposed to be nice and polite? Sheesh… Also feel horrible about the timing, I know it couldn’t be worse for you. So I’ve signed the petition, posted it to Facebook, as well as my Twitter. Also, I’m good friends with the head designer of the line Covet…so if that can help in any way let me know. :)

Sending hugs and kisses…see you in NY!!!
AngieMontreal´s last blog ..Jumbo Chain Fringe NecklaceMy ComLuv Profile

Susan January 29, 2011 at 1:48 pm

So sorry. I signed the petition on Liberty London Girl’s site. Will pass it on. xo
Susan´s last blog ..Revolution of SnowMy ComLuv Profile

Sara January 29, 2011 at 2:34 pm

signed!
Sara´s last blog ..day four hundred and fifty nine- born pretty store blue glitter 067My ComLuv Profile

Derek Cromwell January 29, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I want to echo the sentiment of others here. I’m not involved in the fashion industry at all and not at all interested in what your site says or the other site involved in the dispute. I just happened to stumble across it in a news blog and it caught my attention because I am involved in Marketing.

I’m curious - what makes you more upset, that they managed to get a domain that you should have registered in order to better control your brand or that they’re getting more publicity and presenting their own brand better? By pushing so hard against them you are actually generating more publicity for them - essentially making it more difficult to push them under the radar.

You could achieve greater results by spending more time solidifying your own brand rather than trying to push another site down that you feel is encroaching on your intellectual property rights. With the right content marketing you could essentially bury them online without ever mentioning their name.

a petition? are we in high school again?
Derek Cromwell´s last blog ..Website CopywritingMy ComLuv Profile

Lauren January 29, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Derek, I think you may need to check your facts a little. At the formation of the original The Coveted that web address was registered elsewhere but not used. Since then Jennine has built up a loyal following of thousands of readers, not to mention founding the IFB, which is vital to the fashion blogging world. The launch of the new Coveted has only got “more publicity” due to the confusion over what the site is (and who it is by) in the fashion blogging world, built on the base of years of publicity done by Jennine herself. As for them presenting their brand better, they are the ones currently threatening Jennine with ridiculous legal action if she even dares to talk about this, which to me signals a negative brand unwilling to face obvious issues. All this could have easily been fixed were it a natural oversight, just with a quick name change and apology. Any successful business launch ALWAYS does its brand research unless planning to piggyback on an existing brand’s success.

She has no need to solidify her brand. Does not the fact that the fashion blogging world cares so much show clearly enough that she has one of the most solid brands in the fashion blogosphere?

Finally, and apologies for the essay, but petitioning is actually an effective form of taking action and demonstrating public opinion. For instance, Amnesty International effectively use petitioning to change the world - something few “high school” students have achieved. The fact that signatures are building so fast just further reinforces the relevance of free speech and public opinion on a brand identity case such as this.
Lauren´s last blog ..In Missing RealityMy ComLuv Profile

jennine January 29, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Thank you Lauren. That is so well put.

Macala Wright January 29, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Derek - Without knowing the full breadth of what’s going on here, even if Jennine were to “bury” them with content, the confusion would remain, both entities are deeply entrenched in our industry…that’s why it’s such a big deal.

On another note, the newly founded coveted doesn’t represent it’s brand better than Jennine. Hers is stronger and Jennine is well established in the press as well. The issue, Jennine has other entities and businesses that evolved from her brand of The Coveted. The current group that was able to purchase the domain knows who she is and hoped to indirectly benefit from it.

Buying the domain was something she tried before; but as most people squatting on someone’s domain, she could not afford the asking price to get it back. Not every blogger has $10-50K to just “buy their domain”.

Sensitivity much? How would you feel if someone took your name Derek Cromwell and started the same online personality, people confused him for you and he started to benefit from your years of hard work? Wouldn’t be so great right? Especially if you were in place in your career where you were starting to take off and flourish…much like Jennine.

YM Ousley January 29, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Considering you operate your main business site on a .net, would you be okay with a company who “presented their brand better” offering media services at Thunderbaymedia.com?

As someone who also has a bit of experience with SEO and online marketing, I’m sure you’re familiar with the - sometimes unfair - weight that an exact match domain has. This site launched in January. Jennine’s site has been around 4 years at the same name. “The Coveted” as a phrase currently receives an estimated 2400 searches per month. I’d say Jennine wasn’t doing to bad at building a brand.

And frankly, no, content marketing isn’t enough when they have links coming in from the New York Times, and other well established sites. Allowing them to do their own thing would cause confusion and as the trademark holder, Jennine has not only the right but the responsibility to vigorously pursue defending it.

There’s nothing high school about that
YM Ousley´s last blog ..An Open Letter to TheCovetedcomMy ComLuv Profile

jennine January 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm

quick question, why have you not bought thunderbaymedia.com ?

AngieMontreal January 29, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Saying that a petition is “high school” is….well, I can’t even think of the words to sum it up. It’s just ridiculous and….oh so middle school?! preschool?! Oh no wait I know…condescending, that’s the word I was looking for! Also totally inaccurate, but that goes without saying. Seems like Derek may know a LITTLE more about the subject than someone who just “stumble(d) across it in a news blog”.
AngieMontreal´s last blog ..Jumbo Chain Fringe NecklaceMy ComLuv Profile

Petite Cecile January 29, 2011 at 5:07 pm

It’s funny to see how people enters to the blogsphere and don’t know anything about it. Well, no… actually it’s not funny, it’s a lack of respect to all of us.

Jennine, I (and a whole community that you built with IFB) know how much you do for all the fashion bloggers, we support you because you are always supporting and doing great things for us.

I really hope that this turn good for you and I’ve no doubt that you will, once again, setting a precedent in the world of fashion blogs.

Big hug from an argentine girl living in Spain

Aja January 29, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I tweeted to them saying “Can’t we all just get along? I know it’s a pain but you guys should just change your name and be done with it.” Their response, I got blocked on twitter. What pompous asses. Not only have they just lost someone who would visit their site and probably write a post about it, but now when I see post about them on other sites, I’m going to be sure to add my two cents. And I won’t mince my words.
Aja´s last blog ..Of This Im Sure - Nina SimoneMy ComLuv Profile

LegalGal January 29, 2011 at 6:42 pm

It would assist everyone if people understood, let alone knew anything about the law in this situation. Neither of the legal letters should have been posted on this site continuing to add fuel to the fire in addition to possible legal ramifications. Did you receive permission to publicly post Randy Sutton’s letter? Legally, he owns the copyright to said letter and/or email not the receiver of said letter and/or email.

As per Coco’s comment “The fact that they are threatening to sue if you don’t stop talking about it is absurd!!” This is not what Randy Sutton stated as outlined in his legal letter: read the wording/facts in “hope” of understanding the meaning of his statement.

Derek Cromwell has nailed it with his comments. Totally agree with Derek re: how this matter should have been addressed.

Ironically, on January 24th @mrjoezee from Elle Magazine tweeted about this site saying “love this site…”.

jennine January 29, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Do you have a website or a name “LegalGal”? What are your credentials?

AngieMontreal January 29, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Um, I think you may have misinterpreted the meaning of irony…it would have perhaps been ironic if JENNINE had tweeted that she loved the site…the fact that someone from Elle Mag liked it and tweeted about it is not ironic but rather just fact. You’ve done a nice job of spamming the comments with the quote though! Nice try attempting to somehow work a random “positive press” snippet into your comment…

Again, just like commenter Derek Cromwell, you seem to have a very in depth knowledge of the details of this situation, and yet no link…so mysterious.
AngieMontreal´s last blog ..Jumbo Chain Fringe NecklaceMy ComLuv Profile

Anon January 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm

As someone who is a READER of blogs and not a blogger, I don’t think this is as cut and dry as “you are right. They are wrong.” just giving an honest opinion. Although it’s great that Ppl in the blogging world have each others’ backs, it is intimidating and a bit disheartening to see bloggers jump all over anyone who makes a comment not in support of you. Isn’t that the point of asking for comments (enabling the function)? I also dont think I’d personally get so publicly upset about this. All good brands- good products- are going to be imitated. I can’t help but read this post and your tweets as your whining. Rise above! You obviously have a very loyal fanbase and community in your corner.

Liane from SampleSaleSites.com January 29, 2011 at 9:36 pm

It seems to me that TheCoveted clearly knew there was another blog by the same name out there and sought to use that success to their advantage. It does seem like bullying to me and I don’t think you should back down. Stay strong - I think any judge would clearly see that you held this trademark first if a trademark is truly about establishing yourself as a brand first and not necessarily filing paperwork first. Kind of like the old school way of copywriting was to send something to yourself in a sealed envelope postmarked and never open it…

Good luck - SampleSaleSites.com is behind you!
Liane from SampleSaleSites.com´s last blog ..What I Bought Today at Online Sample Sales- Kalorik Kitchen AppliancesMy ComLuv Profile