A Conversation: YSL Manifesto

by jennine on March 22, 2011

When I was in London, I met up with my friend from college… he’s a designer who uses 200-year-old printing presses and old fashioned real lead type to create his work. We worked on a lot of projects together in college and considered going into business together after graduation…but our lives took dramatically different turns. During my visit, we talked about the ‘death of print’ and how his business has grown over the last seven years. We both noted how special printed matter had become. That when you get something on paper, like a letter… it has become an almost sacred object touched by human hand. That you took care not to just shoot an email or post a thank you on a Facebook wall.. that you took the time to write something by hand and carry it off to the post.

With the future of print in question… print isn’t going to die. But it’s going to change into more of an experience than merely a vehicle of information. Reading something on paper is somehow more quiet… like I can’t see my unread email count in the corner of my eye, or the tweets and the noise from the internet. My friend Susie had run into someone handing out the YSL Manifesto Spring Summer 2011 on the street, and picked up a few copies. No, we didn’t get the totes…but I have enough totes! What really caught my attention was the magazine attached. It brought me back to the days when of being a magazine junkie.. capturing the smell of the ink and running my hands over the pages. The conversation printed in the ‘ad’ between  YSL creative director Stefano Plati and Hans Ulrich Obrist the Serpentine Gallery co-Creative Director discussed manifestos, art and fashion. The conversation heady and somewhat disjointed… Hans having his mind clearly set on art and philosophy and Stefano meandering through fashion visions, business, and relating his art to a manifesto in a very intelligent way.

It was really a treat. I wish there was more things like this out there.

Jessie March 22, 2011 at 11:47 am

YSL is the best. what a beautiful cover to this book as well! sounds nice.

Jessie´s last blog ..Mayakoba Mexico- Diary Day UnoMy ComLuv Profile

Ann Colville Somma March 22, 2011 at 12:05 pm

It’s interesting, I saw the Vena Cava ladies speak recently and they essentially said this. They were taking about going on line, starting their blog, and as a counterpoint to that creating more precious printed matter .. and that they believed that was the future of print.
Ann Colville Somma´s last blog ..Just One Spring I mean ThingMy ComLuv Profile

jennine March 22, 2011 at 12:51 pm

That’s great news… I mean, what’s the point in producing disposable content on paper? I recently subscribed to all the major magazines, and much of it is such a waste, and feels like a vehicle for ads. Where if companies spent time on creating something precious and content rich (like this.. which is basically a lookbook with a heady intro) it goes from being an interruption to something sought out.

I guess I’d just like to seen nicer work in general.. it could be print or digital, it doesn’t matter… but if we’re going to kill trees, might as well make it a special experience.

Charlotte Box March 22, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Arizona Muse… Great photos!

Charlotte Box´s last blog ..MulberryMy ComLuv Profile

Verychiclist March 22, 2011 at 1:07 pm

YSL is timeless, classy, chic and the adv campaing is really beautiful.

I have a discount on my blog, 20% off on a lot of designers. Check it.
Verychiclist´s last blog ..GREAT SURPRISE for you!My ComLuv Profile

Sandra at Debutante Clothing March 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Great post Jennine! I do worry for the future of printed matter, including printed photos. I imagine that we will have a huge gap in history and technology like the Romans did because we live so digitally. Paranoid maybe? LOL. This YSL lookbook/manifesto is so beautiful. yes, precious printed material, but can we talk about that red print dress and the tie front blouse? Good god! Stunning.

jennine March 22, 2011 at 6:38 pm

i know…that red print dress! it is so perfect. one day… one day i’ll be able to get these!

molliee March 22, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Love the cover of this! Things like this are truly inspiring:)

Sheena March 23, 2011 at 3:11 am

Those photos are beautiful and the magazine is definitely a keeper!

I agree that print isn’t going to die, but it’s going to drastically change. I just left a position as a print production manager and I loved watching the print process and seeing how much work goes into printing hundreds of thousands of pieces, but personally I realized that it was such a disconnect with me because I do everything digitally. Plus, I kind of felt guilty because…well, it seemed so wasteful.
Sheena´s last blog ..Friend Friday- Copycat FashionMy ComLuv Profile

TheOnlineStylist March 23, 2011 at 6:48 am

Sublimely beautiful publication. I love the internet, but nothing beats a magazine or book for that me-time treat feel. Especially when served with coffee and peace and quiet. x
TheOnlineStylist´s last blog ..Seaside FlareMy ComLuv Profile

Sam @ Weekend Getaways March 23, 2011 at 8:09 am

I must admit it, This model is very beautiful
Sam @ Weekend Getaways´s last blog ..Summer Holiday PackagesMy ComLuv Profile

Angela March 24, 2011 at 10:54 am

I love print material! And you are absolutely right in that it will change drastically and evolve into something greater and more beautiful.