Airplane Survival: Moisturizers

by jennine on April 6, 2011

moisturizers

I’m in the air en route to Los Angeles for Retail Camp and Coachella as I type this… don’t you just love technology these days?

Over the past few years, I’ve done a fair amount of traveling, and I have to say.. one of the tough parts about flying is the dry cabin air and dehydration. Never fly without your own water supply…the flight attendants can’t possibly bring enough! I always get a huge bottle before boarding. It’s always worth it. Another thing that’s an absolute must is to be stocked with moisturizers for long flights. While TSA won’t let you bring in anything more than 100ml, here are a few must haves for air travel:

Lip moisturizer: One easy and effective lip balm  Smith’s Rosebud Salve in a tube ($6). I used to wear lipstick on the plane, but one thing that’s hard to get is mirror access, particularly if you’re on the aisle. One easy and effective lip balm It’s got a softer texture and you don’t need to stick your fingers in any pots (like it’s predecessor). It gives you instant relief, and easy to throw in your bag.

Face moisturizer: I’m a total Kiehl’s addict when it comes to skincare, and one of the things I love about shopping with them is they’re always generous with samples. I try to always ask for the Ultra Facial Cream sample not only because it’s a great all around moisturizer, but it comes in a re-usable TSA friendly small pot, so I can put the heavy duty stuff (Rosa Arctica) for the flight home if needed.

Hand creme: Hand creme has two purposes, to keep your hands moisturized, and if you get one that smells nice, it’s a good buffer for all the interesting smells on the plane.  Dude, I have stories. We should talk about that some time! I recently got the Laura Mercier Almond Coconut Milk Hand Crème ($15) that does the trick on both fronts, it has a heavenly scent and moisturizes so well…

What are some of your airplane survival tips?

For behind the scenes, outfit snippets and more…stop by The Coveted Tumblr!

• Posterous

deka April 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

before flying, i wash my face, apply toner, then use my estee lauder advanced night repair because it locks in moisture. last step is moisturizer. after the flight, my skin looks always great!
i too also frequently drink water throughout flights
deka´s last blog ..PhotoMy ComLuv Profile

jennine April 7, 2011 at 12:14 pm

ooh that is a good idea, i need to try that advanced night repair!

Andree April 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Eyedrops, no-rinse facial wipes and Q-tips (to refresh and repair any make-up malfunction,) hand cream (I like L’Occitane’s Apricot Flower Pure Shea Butter, in a convenient little tin,) lip balm, and sunscreen — to reapply before I land and get to the outside world.
Andree´s last blog ..Review of Earth The BookMy ComLuv Profile

jennine April 7, 2011 at 12:14 pm

oh yes! i love no rinse facial wipes! i forgot them this time.. so handy, i like the clean and clear ones, they get everything off! i also recently found tiny disposable toothbrushes, they’re amazing.

lisa April 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I usually fly with:

-at least one book and one magazine (I like some variety in my reading material)
-glasses (in case I need to take out my contacts)
-contacts case and travel-size vial of solution
-hand lotion and lip balm
-a big bottle of water
-earphones
-toothbrush and toothpaste (minty fresh breath does wonders in making you feel refreshed after a long flight!)
lisa´s last blog ..From Solo Lisas Kitchen- Pasta with Porcini Mushroom Sauce and ChickenMy ComLuv Profile

jennine April 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm

oh yes great list! i found some tiny disposable toothbrushes that have the toothpaste dot already inside them, so you don’t need water..they’re pretty amazing.

Jessie April 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm

weirdly i love packing my carry on bag, it is always so exciting in anticipation of a trip! those are good survival remedies.

Jessie´s last blog ..Great Lengths t by alexander wang- young fabulous &amp broke- rebecca taylorMy ComLuv Profile

Ryan April 6, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I’m a big fan of Kiehl’s products as well, especially the face lotion. Love that their products don’t leave you overly oily after a couple hours. Yuck.

Safe travels!

Ryan
Ryan´s last blog ..Sassy Meow Envy PlayfulMy ComLuv Profile

jennine April 7, 2011 at 12:15 pm

also i like that they’re not so heavily perfumed… not that i don’t like pretty smells, just not on my face. ;)

Monica April 6, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Yes, a bottle of water is a must! And I’d also add a spray type mist (i.e Evian) for face, feels so good!

jennine April 7, 2011 at 12:16 pm

oh yeah, can you get those through the TSA or buy them on the inside?

stacy April 6, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Airplane survival tip -> ativan
stacy´s last blog ..Quote of the Week - confidenceMy ComLuv Profile

danielle April 6, 2011 at 11:28 pm

agreed on rosebud salve. i carry it everywhere. it’s only ever second fiddle to my burt’s bees wax which is just easier to locate in my bottomless purse. :)
danielle´s last blog ..girls-me- free at last my bra arrived!My ComLuv Profile