Beauty Review: Sally Hansen Salon Effects Nailed It

by jennine on April 25, 2011

Do you have a hard time painting your own nails? Maybe you don’t… but as someone who has never been able to paint her own nails, I was delighted to hear about the advent of Sally Hansen Salon Effects… which is essentially nail polish in sticker form. I had seen these around for a few months, but they’re always sold out at my local drug store, so when I found them a few weeks ago, it was time to give them a whirl. At $9.99 they’re not an expensive beauty experiment!

I put on the hounds-tooth nails above on my mom’s birthday, April 7th… they lasted about two weeks, I took them off last Wednesday, the 20th, and it was more because the nail regrowth was bothering me because they weren’t chipped that much. Some of you had told me that the hounds-tooth didn’t work so well, so Grit and Glamour gave the tip of applying a coat of clear nail polish over… it seemed to work! One of my issues with nail polish is that my nails tend to split, so this time around I applied the Hard as Nails to seal my weakling claws, and did not put on the clear coat (I could not find it in my room…woops). Anyway… the second time they are staying on quite well, though I do notice after a few days a tiny bit of evidence of chipping.

PROS:

These nails cause quite a commotion, just about everyone who I came in contact with asked me about my hounds tooth nails. Even at Target, the cashier asked where I got them (they sell them at Target). For $9.99 and something you can apply yourself in 30min, it’s a steal. Also, it’s worth noting that Salon Effects has a the advantage of these is unlike some of the gel polish which is great for custom nail art, you can remove with regular nail polish. I’ve never in my life have ever had regular nail polish stay looking nice for more than a week. These are certainly worth it.

CONS:

The sizes are hard to gauge… if your hands are small or large, you may run out in your size. I couldn’t really quite get it right either so there is a bit of natural nail showing. If you mess up, which I haven’t, and I mess up everything.. you would have to improvise because there are only a few extras in there. I’ve also noticed that some of the prints can look different on your nails than they do in the box. For instance the lace ones look more abstract because my nails are so short. They would look better on someone with longer nails… but the hounds tooth are perfect.

Where to get them:

Many drug stores sell the Salon Effects… I’ve found that they sell out fast. I wanted the lace ones, but they were sold out everywhere, and someone is charging double the price on Amazon… so what I did to get the Laced Up nails is order them on Target.com. The shipping time takes a little longer because they’re on backorder, but I only waited a week in reality, so it wasn’t that bad.

GRIT & GLAMOUR April 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Thanks for the mention, Jennine! So glad you’ve found this product worthwhile. I know I LOVE the prints, especially Kitty Kitty!

Here are a few more tips (that I swear by) on natural nail care and Salon Effects:

-I’ve found Ulta.com has Salon Effects well-stocked, and they always have coupons. Google for promo codes. That’s how I scored the always-sold-out Kitty Kitty.
-As awesome as the print designs are, I tried the solid color Salon Effects over the weekend and they tore at the end when filing. I may try a base coat and to see if that helps before giving up.
-You mentioned your nails splitting. These are my secret weapons: Nailtiques Formula 2 and Appearex supplements. Nailtiques is also available at Ulta. There are three formulas…find the one for you and use religiously. It is a miracle product and WILL help your nails.
-Appearex is a superb vitamin that is a superdose of a patented Biotin formula. It not only helps your nails, but your hair too. It is worth every penny, and I intend to take it forever…you will definitely see a difference after a couple months. I think you can get it at CVS and Walgreens, but I’ve found it cheapest on drugstore.com.
GRIT & GLAMOUR´s last [type] ..On the Unexpected Beauty of Social Media

Amy April 27, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Ulta and coupon codes! Thank you! That’s very helpful. I want to play with the Salon Effects but can’t get myself to spend $10 on these when I can get a bottle of good nail polish for under $10!

Thanks, Jennine, for pointing out short nails don’t show the prints properly. I have short nails so this is good to know. I think the lace still looks good on you, though it does look more Jackson Pollock-y than lace.
Amy´s last [type] ..Marc Jacobs Monday- Marc by Marc Jacobs Removable Strap Patent Wedge

Pam @over50feeling40 April 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Thank you for doing this review…I have wondered if they worked and just did not want to risk the $10 to find out! Based on your review, I think I will give them a try!! I always have trouble doing my own nails.
Pam @over50feeling40´s last [type] ..Pondering Much More Than An OOTD

Casey April 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Wow! I love these. Thanks for sharing. I’ve been getting gel manicures for the last few months, which last for 2-3 weeks. These designs are too cool!
Casey´s last [type] ..Spot on Salmon at 5 Seasons Westside

Fajr | Stylish Thought April 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I am going home tonight to try mine! I have the houndstooth and now I am amped to see how they work! Thanks for the write up J!
Fajr | Stylish Thought´s last [type] ..Card Carrying Member of the Ladies Who Love Bangs Brigade

www.blahblahbecky.co.uk April 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm

They’re so great, I loved the houndstooth ones on you in a previous post you did! Those lace ones are pretty too. I can’t wait to see what other designs they do!

p.s. Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. You’re my rockstar heroine so you made my day!
http://www.blahblahbecky.co.uk´s last [type] ..a countryside stroll

Marissa April 25, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I was drooling over these in Walgreens last week before my boyfriend so rudely dragged me out of the store. Are they hard to apply, though? I’ve tried the nail stickers from Sephora and have had some difficulty. Maybe it just takes practice.

Pretty, Polished, Perfect. April 25, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I love this look! I can’t wait to find the houndstooth. Do they come in color variations? Vahni’s suggestion is perfect! I’ll be thinking of this post the next time I’m at my local drugstore :)

Pretty, Polished, Perfect.

Casey April 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I was at Ulta on Saturday and nearly picked up a package of these! Kind of wish I had now that I read your review. ;) I’m like you in that I have the worst time painting my nails (they never turn out neat and tidy…), but I persist in doing it. The whole idea of having designs on my nails has been appealing to me lately; I think I’ll have to see what Ulta has next time I’m there! (Which will probably be sadly far too soon… I’ve kind of gotten addicted to stopping by rather often since one opened up down the road. lol.)

♥ Casey
Casey´s last [type] ..30×30- six

Madeleine Gallay April 25, 2011 at 2:15 pm

what is the effect when they come off? could moisture seep in and do damage?

lovely looks.
Madeleine Gallay´s last [type] ..Dust Off Those Gossamer Wings

Nakia Durant April 25, 2011 at 2:38 pm

So funny i just brought a pack yesterday and did the lace ones. I will say i love the look but they remid me of the sticker you had as a kid. There a little heavy on the nails.
Nakia Durant´s last [type] ..Pointy Stares

Jessie April 25, 2011 at 2:38 pm

these crazy nails are all the rage! i kind of love them but don’t think i’d be able to rock them.
xx, http://wordbyjessie.com
Jessie´s last [type] ..Lady Gaga no words- it’s self explanatory

lisa April 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Very thorough review!
lisa´s last [type] ..And the Dakota Group pre-shop event winner is

Jacqueline April 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Great minds think alike ;) My last blog post was on this exact same thing. I’d been trying to get my hands on these nail strips forever but usually the cool ones are sold out at my local Target. I finally managed to score a fun floral design this past week which were perfect for Earth Day and Easter. I even put them on my 6 year old’s nails, and was able to cover three of her little fingers with a single strip with the help of some scissors. We both loved them and will definitely be trying out different designs in the future.
Jacqueline´s last [type] ..Springtime Nails

Megan April 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I am in love with these! I got some polka dot ones not to long ago from Walgreens! So much fun!
Megan´s last [type] ..A Saturday Night Outfit

SarahJayne @ Goldmine Trash April 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I might have to try these. I love the prints, esp. the checkered one!
SarahJayne @ Goldmine Trash´s last [type] ..Electric Lady 1970s vintage platform clog heels Navy blue leather shoes mules disco glam glitter groupie chic sz 9 95 10 US

Bekah April 25, 2011 at 4:56 pm

THANKS for breaking it down for us! I’ve been wanting to try it, but they were always out of the leopard print ones!
I’m going to give it a go on Target.com!
Bekah´s last [type] ..Rom-Com Revelations

Ali April 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Just bought these and can’t wait to try them! Also, just signed up to be a member of the independent fashion bloggers.
Ali´s last [type] ..Yellow Love

Casee Marie April 25, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I’m so glad you did this! I’ve been thinking about trying Salon Effects for a while. I don’t have any trouble painting my nails - it’s getting them to actually last longer than a day that’s the problem. I have thin nails that bend, chip, tear, break, etc. etc. all the time so my best option with nail polish is keeping them quite short. Someone told me to try gel polish and I wondered if these might have a somewhat similar effect? I like the accessibility (I live in Nebraska; things like this don’t tend to fly off the shelves) and I like the aspect of applying/removing them on a whim by myself. I’ll certainly have to give them a try.
Casee Marie´s last [type] ..Hairspiration- High and Mighty

Cindy @ AlienBabyBlog April 26, 2011 at 1:07 am

These are great! How long do they last?
Cindy @ AlienBabyBlog´s last [type] ..Hawaii

Eva April 26, 2011 at 5:27 am

This seems a fantastic idea to me because I too always mess up when doing my nails … it’s ridiculous. Too bad I can’t get Salon Effects in drug stores where I live. The prints you chose are so fierce!
Eva´s last [type] ..Stylish fashion bloggers for Swedish Hasbeens x H&M

For Those About To Shop April 26, 2011 at 10:03 am

Wow, these are really cute. What will they think of next? I have no trouble painting my nails, but my toenails - no way! I have to get pedicures just because I literally cannot paint my own toes.

Mary @ stylefyles April 26, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I wrote about these yesterday too! They are magical for me! I am terrible at painting my nails and these are an awesome solution!!! I didn’t have too much trouble fitting them to my nails (just tried to wedge ‘em under my cuticles a bit) but I bet you could carefully reshape the edges with scissors to make them fit your nails better.

I’m pumped to try the glittery gold and animal print patterns, and I hope they come out with more versions as these gain popularity.

Jeni May 3, 2011 at 12:49 am

These look so cool! I love the houndstooth ones, and I know there are glitter, and a bunch of other designs I would want to try. I haven’t tried them yet because I’m trying not to spend money, and I’m lazy, but I would totally get these for a special occassion.
Jeni´s last [type] ..DHC Deep Cleansing Oil Review