Savage Beauty: A True Tribute to McQueen

by jennine on May 23, 2011

It’s hard to bring clothing to life in a fashion exhibition. Over the years I’ve been to many oohing and ahhing over the clothes, yet wishing I could see them on real people as they look somehow dead on a faceless mannequin. The Savage Beauty exhibition was clearly the exception with the grandest presentation, even McQueen would have been impressed. Considering his relatively short career, he had continually created museum-worthy work that the exhibition was quite lengthy and rich with visual treats. Being there was no photography allowed, I managed to do my sneaky instagram pics.

Seeing all his work together like this, made it clear that fashion is a real art, McQueen’s collections all looked heavily researched, philosophical and always visually stunning. Each piece meant something, every stitch being placed for a reason. I guess, if anything it had as much a profound impact on me who sometimes think what I do is superfluous, when it’s not the subject matter itself, it’s what you make of it.

This post is rather late to the mix of exhibition reviews and whatnot, yet, I do have to say, if you haven’t seen it yet. Go. Don’t be scared off by the 1hour wait time, it goes quickly. Though I have to wonder, if McQueen himself saw the line people stood in just to see his work up close… I wonder if it would have made a difference in choosing to take his own life.

If you can’t make it in person… check out this video, it walks you through the exhibition. Though, please do go if you can.

• Posterous

Kori May 23, 2011 at 11:55 am

It’s so sad that all too often the most disturbed people are the most talented. What a shame. His work is some of my favorite. Have you heard the great news on the paperback version of my novel? I’m so excited and would love you to head over to hear. Have a fantastic Monday doll! Kori xoxo

Kori´s last blog ..Murder On The BoulevardMy ComLuv Profile

Pam @over50feeling40 May 23, 2011 at 12:14 pm

There is so much here to absorb…thanks for including the video, I feel like I just actually walked through some of the exhibit…there are some amazing pieces here… I would love to just stand and ponder.
Pam @over50feeling40´s last blog ..Singing the Blogger &amp Busyness Blueswith a smile!My ComLuv Profile

Courtney May 23, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I’m making a trip in NYC on Wednesday to see this - I’m so excited!

xoxo ~ Courtney
Courtney´s last blog ..Believe in PeopleMy ComLuv Profile

Jessie May 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm

the show about him at the met was absolutely incredible. a must see for anyone. he was a genius and i think we can all say we miss him dearly.
xx, http://wordbyjessie.com/
Jessie´s last blog ..Second Week at APC what i’m up to at work &amp what i’m wearing here in parisMy ComLuv Profile

Kirstin Marie May 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Alexander McQueen was such an a incredibly talented individual. His work was art, completely. He is one of my most favorites. It is very sad how short his career was, and whatever it was that brought him to take his own life. This is a beautiful post, and I thank you for sharing it.
Kirstin Marie´s last blog ..Laptops are not nice sometimesMy ComLuv Profile

For Those About To Shop May 23, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I’m so tempted to hit play but I’m not going to because I promised I would go see this exhibit before it closes. NYC is only a one-hour flight for me so I have no excuses. The feather jacket at the top is my favourite McQueen piece of recent seasons and I hear what you say about his suicide. If he knew how adored his work was…well, who knows what someone in that state is thinking. Thanks for the covert coverage ;)
For Those About To Shop´s last blog ..Links I Love- Victoria Day editionMy ComLuv Profile

JM May 24, 2011 at 1:21 am

Great sneaky shots! Exhibition sounds incredible - interesting that they focused solely on McQueen’s womenswear. Was there any menswear included? JM

ALTER EGO - Alexander McQueen Menswear 1994-2010 http://1972projects.blogspot.com/2011/05/alter-ego-mcqueen-and-menswear.html
JM´s last blog ..ALTER EGO - McQueen and MenswearMy ComLuv Profile

BeLighter May 24, 2011 at 5:47 am

Amazing post! I agree, he did more then just make clothes, he did art!
Really wish I could go and see the exhibition…
BeLighter´s last blog ..StreetStyle – Natalia VodianovaMy ComLuv Profile

Vasu May 24, 2011 at 9:10 am

Amazing…..he is a legend…..love his work

Cathy Benavides May 24, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I’m considering going to NYC for the first time just to see this exhibit. Someday, I have to tell you about the bonding experience that I had with the manager of the McQueen store in Vegas. It ended with him showing me personal pictures of him meeting Lee in Milan and us hugging and crying over the loss. It was truly moving. There will never be another Lee McQueen and while I know the line will live on and continue to be beautiful, the spirit and emotion that Lee brought to each piece is gone forever. He was truly one of kind, and he made me fall in love with fashion.