Classic Kiehl’s Products for Problem Skin

by debiekim on June 1, 2011

Hi readers, I’m Debie!  I work with Jennine over at Coveted Media.  I’m usually more behind-the-scenes but am making the foray into contributing to the site.  Hope you enjoy my debut post!  And feel free to reach out to me at debie@covetedmedia.com!

It’s my first post on The Coveted and the first thing I’m saying is this: my skin doesn’t like me.  As long as I can remember, it’s been one battle after another—me versus uneven tones, oily t-zones and rough and dry patches.  As I’ve reached my mid-20’s, thankfully the war zone known as my skin has calmed down a bit- but that’s not to say it’s anywhere near perfect.  While I have a few products I always keep handy in my stash, I’m the type that’s usually on the hunt for something new and better.  So when Kiehl’s sent us off with a lovely gift bag full of their premiere products after their 160th Anniversary Party, I was incredibly excited to see what effect they’d have on my problem skin.

First up was the Ultra Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15. ($19 for 2.5 oz) The lotion is lightly scented and for a product with SPF, isn’t too watery or thin.  It went on smooth and absorbed quickly.  It left a bit of a shine but for a lotion with SPF, that’s a small trade off for the benefit!  Sunscreen is an absolute must for everyone and this is a fine choice.  After a week of use I didn’t notice any problems with my skin—no clogged pores or issues one might experience when trying a new facial lotion.  This definitely made its way into my daily regime!

Next was Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1. ($7 for 0.5 oz) With petroleum as its key ingredient and the added benefit of SPF 4, I knew as a self-professed Vaseline addict, I would love this product.  I found the balm to be nice and creamy without being thick and sticky.  It went on smooth and set a great base for lipstick.  This is the perfect solution for those looking to repair their post-winter, dry, chapped lips- after a week of use I definitely noticed my lips were healthier and less flaky.

The Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado (pictured below) ($27 for 0.5 oz) was a product I had heard tons about.  The cream is a soft green color and has a nearly undetectable scent.  When applying the cream I found it to be an interesting texture—at first touch it’s thick and luxurious but it quickly turns slick and smooth!  It moisturized incredibly well and after 7 days I felt like my eyes were a bit less puffy than usual.  This is a great option for those who love the luxe feeling of heavier eye creams (like me!)

Lastly, I was most excited to try out the Midnight Recovery Concentrate. ($43 for 1.0 oz) With its pretty blue bottle and glass dropper form, it makes promises to “visibly restore” skin by the next morning.  I loved the process of placing a few drops (2 or 3 is enough for your whole face) onto my palm and applying the silky oil onto my skin.  It felt great going on and it sank in fairly quickly, although I wouldn’t recommend plopping down on your pillow right after application.  It has a gentle lavender scent and after a 7 day trial my skin feels more plump and moisturized.  I can’t say I’ve noticed a remarkable difference but I am totally in love with the luxurious application experience.  Now that summer has finally made its way to NYC, I’m not sure if this is the perfect product for the season, but come fall and winter time, I know exactly what I’ll be reaching for before I go to bed.  (Note: Jennine just told me about her experience with the serum and apparently it made her break out!  Eek.  So those with sensitive skin, use with caution!)

With this addition of Kiehl’s products to army of products, I feel much better about my skin care treatment.  I know no relationship is perfect, but with the help of Kiehl’s, my skin and I may very well be on our way to finally reaching a peace treaty.

I’d love to hear – what were your experiences with any of these Kiehl’s products?  Are there any Kiehl’s products that are must-try’s?

• Posterous

Adele June 1, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Great write-up! I really want to try the avocado eye cream, sounds great for summer. Do you think it is ok for sensitive eyes?

debiekim June 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Thanks so much! I’d say sensitive eyes are safe with this cream- the texture is thick enough that it won’t run into eyes. Just be sure to dab it on carefully!

Megan June 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Wow! This is so awesome! Thanks for the info! I love to hear ab new products and how to keep my skin ageless as long as i can!
Megan´s last blog ..Weekend WardrobeMy ComLuv Profile

Jeanie June 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Try the new Rosa Arctica cream. Or the overnight biological peel. I did a test trial of Embroylisse cream and the Kiehl’s Rosa Arctica cream and found the Rosa cream gave me smoother skin. I think it’s because the Rosa cream is more of a treatment (brightening, exfoliating) and Embroylisse is more for maintaining the moisture levels in your skin. Gonna do Olio Lusso next!

debiekim June 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Oh I’ll definitely have to try Rosa cream! Should be perfect since exfoliating is super important during summer. Thanks for the tip :)

jennine June 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Oh yes, I use the rosa arctica creme mostly during the winter, it’s really a fabulous moisturizer!

But I’m finding it’s too heavy for summer so now I’m on the Ultimate Facial Moisturizer which has some of that crazy Greenland plant stuff in it. Obviously I need to read up on the products better.

Jeanie June 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Also, on a side note: I wish Kiehl’s would bring back it’s Light Nourishing Eye Cream. It was such a stellar product and it mysteriously disappeared.
Jeanie´s last blog ..My ComLuv Profile

Pam @over50feeling40 June 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I also am very interested in trying the eye cream…it sounds great! Good job on covering these products!!
Pam @over50feeling40´s last blog ..Common Mistakes in the 50 WardrobeMy ComLuv Profile

debiekim June 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Thanks so much, hope you get a chance to try out the cream! :)

Jessie June 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm

they make the absolute most perfect products. so refreshing and recovering. i love it.
xx, http://wordbyjessie.com/
Jessie´s last blog ..Goodbye APC the fantastic atmosphere- my past &amp my futureMy ComLuv Profile

Jericho June 2, 2011 at 8:05 am

I also have skin problems especially on my face. i am afraid to use certain products for it might irritate my skin. I am scared of aside from spending money, the condition of my skin will worsen. I have a lot of pimple and blemishes. My oily skin is my number problem. I hope this can help me.
Jericho´s last blog ..Guilty Pleasures In LifeMy ComLuv Profile

For Those About To Shop June 2, 2011 at 9:41 am

I love Kiehl’s, too. I also dig the look of their stores - very old school apothecary.
For Those About To Shop´s last blog ..Reese Witherspoon StyleMy ComLuv Profile

Nubiasnonsense June 2, 2011 at 10:48 am

Hey, Nice post! I found it very helpful. I have very sensitive skin and suffer when it comes to picking the right products. I usually do trial and error instead of reading reviews lol (not a good idea)

Anywho, I love Vaseline so the Kiehls lip balm sounds perfect! I as well as Jennine might not sit very well with the midnight recovery. It sounds tempting to try but as I said prior I do have sensitive skin so it might make me break out as well hmmm.

Kiehls has great stuff though, I might have to buy one of those balms sometime this week lol

Toodles

Lani Nguyen June 3, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Great write up, Debie! You have a great voice. Can’t wait to read more!