In God We Trust

by jennine on June 6, 2011

I always have a soft spot for the kind of woman who takes a leap of faith. Shana Tabor, the designer behind local New York label, In God We Trust, was a jewelry designer tired of working in the corporate fashion world, so she put the message out to the universe… by writing a note to the owner of a vacant retail space in Brooklyn inquiring about the rent. A note which lead to launching her own clothing line and opening three more stores as well as helping other designers get their start in fashion as well. Not many designers who are keen on bringing up other designers, but Shana doesn’t feel like it’s competition in a bad way, as having a good community of shop owners and designers brings more business and more purpose for a community. In the shop she carries Donna Monroe, a photographer who had fantastic ideas so they made it happen. Even an artist, Chelsea Cardinal – she does a lot of freelance illustration. She was a customer and she came in with a great dress on that she made so they started buying some of her designs to sell in the store.

I really loved her sense of spirit and sense of abundance (for lack of a better word) because life is like that, we all have things to share, and there’s enough to go around. In God We Trust has really well-made pieces that are interesting and wearable. A cut-out silk tank and high wasited shorts that are unique and also made with love. Certainly a good investment.

Look familiar? I’m wearing this silk cut out tank here!

O

Visit:

IN GOD WE TRUST

265 Lafayette St # 2
New York, NY 10012-4014
(212) 966-9010

www.ingodwetrustnyc.com
  • Posterous

Kori June 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Love…I need to go shopping! Hope you’re having a fantastic Monday. I have some great news on my blog today…I’d love for you to check it out! Have a wonderful day honey! Kori xoxo

Kori´s last blog ..Blogs- Books- Giveaways- And A Little CountryMy ComLuv Profile

Megan June 6, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I went to this store to shop once! So eclectic! Its like eye candy!
Megan´s last blog ..2011 Summer Trends Go Vintage!My ComLuv Profile

Marcela Baldi June 6, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Great tip, I’m in NY for a while, so I’m taking a note for the next time I pass by Lafayette…
Thanks!
Marcela Baldi´s last blog ..Dia 06 - Passeio - Mercados e AntiquáriosMy ComLuv Profile

Arianne June 6, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I loved this post! One of your images even prompted a love letter in me. Thanks for the continued inspiration!
If you’d like to see the love note please visit http://www.loveletterstoafriend.tumblr.com
xo

Pam @over50feeling40 June 6, 2011 at 7:49 pm

She looks like someone I would love to meet and I would really love to meet her boutique!
Pam @over50feeling40´s last blog ..Smiling or SettlingMy ComLuv Profile

Jessie June 6, 2011 at 8:10 pm

i love shirts with sick cutouts. these are great ones. i love it.
xx, http://wordbyjessie.com/
Jessie´s last blog ..La Tour Eiffel! and sights along my trek back- saint germaine- ralph &amp emporioMy ComLuv Profile

BeLighter June 7, 2011 at 6:36 am

Love the story! Love the atmosphere of that shop!
(thanks for visiting!!!)
BeLighter´s last blog ..Style – Selena GomezMy ComLuv Profile

For Those About To Shop June 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I always find people who give without expectation of return are the ones that get the most. I guess the universe is like that! I love hearing about community-oriented people who love helping others.
For Those About To Shop´s last blog ..Links I Love- Jagger- Bowie &amp McQueen rules the runwayMy ComLuv Profile