Tribal Maxi Skirt

by jennine on June 17, 2011

Everyone’s going on about maxi skirts and maxi dresses this year…. Fabulous blogger friend, Grechen say’s there great even for petites. I have given it a try and well, have had mixed results. Most maxi skirts are too flowy for my short stature…however, when I came across this Rachel Comey maxi skirt at Creatures of Comfort and fell in love with the way it fit. High waist, ruched back, form fitting all around it is both feminizing and easy to wear. I love the abstract print that gives just enough hits to a cheetah print, but not so literal.

So happy for the weekend, and happy for summer. When it’s hot out, my favorite thing to eat is Pinkberry frozen yogurt. Mostly because it’s down the street from me, and also because a cone is 110 calories… and I love frozen yogurt. It’s the perfect way to spend a few minutes on a Friday afternoon!

Wearing: Tribal Maxi Skirt: Rachel Comey • Silk cut out tank: In God We Trust • Sunglasses: Cynthia Rowley • Shoes: Matt Benson

Photos by Nando Alvarez

• Posterous

SACRAMENTO June 17, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I love it.
The print reminds me of Marc jacobs autumn -winter 2012
SACRAMENTO´s last blog ..5 Days Unplugged - Paloma´s Birthday &amp The Thyssen MuseumMy ComLuv Profile

Sweet Harvest Moon June 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Love the first picture, makes me happy!

(now i want ice cream too :p)

Sweet Harvest Moon´s last blog ..OUTFITPOST- FloralMy ComLuv Profile

Julia M June 17, 2011 at 1:56 pm

The shoes look seriously comfortable while also looking really cool-it’s a hard combination to find in a shoe.
This outfit is beautiful, I would never have thought to put that top and skirt together but you pull it off really well.
Julia M´s last blog ..Summertime BluesMy ComLuv Profile

Style Eyes June 17, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I am only 5ft 2 and really struggle with maxi skirts and dresses, but when you find one the right length and volume, they really do work. I love the print on your skirt, it looks fabulous.

Belle de Couture June 17, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Love this look from head to toe.. one of my fave styles :)

P.S. your shoes are ah-mazing!

xx
Jen

BeLighter June 17, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Love the skirt and those shoes!!! and the bag! Happy outfit!
BeLighter´s last blog ..On The Street – Bright ColoursMy ComLuv Profile

Victoria Whiteland June 17, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Looks fab Jennine,
Vx

Tamia June 17, 2011 at 4:12 pm

You look fantastic, of course-the skirt is gorgeous-but the first thing that caught my eye was the fro-yo!
Tamia´s last blog ..Dressed in almost All Black Like The OmenMy ComLuv Profile

Nubiasnonsense June 17, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I am in love with those sunglasses. I felt the same way about Maxi skirts for some time as well but I try to wear them with wedges most of the time and occasionally with flats.

I think I need a frozen yogurt cone after seeing this…. I wonder if your readers have been lucky enough to see your frozen yogurt Instagram… If they haven’t they need to look for it!

XX

grechen June 17, 2011 at 5:29 pm

yay!!! you look beautiful; the skirt and top are perfect together - i think it’s important to show skin up top when you’re all covered up below :)

Labella Luxe June 17, 2011 at 11:13 pm

The sandals are darling! They go great with the long tribal skirt. Great look!
Labella Luxe´s last blog ..Coral Treasures EarringsMy ComLuv Profile

laurren June 18, 2011 at 10:38 am

You are absolutely precious in every way. I adore all of the varying prints, especially when paired together.

I’ve had the same issues with maxi dresses/skirts. At 5’4, I usually end up looking like I’m being swallowed by yards and yards of fabric when wearing anything described as “maxi.” I did, however, recently find a wrap-style maxi skirt (which is a bit higher waisted) that works very well. Maybe that’s the trick for us petite ladies?

Also, I cried big ole baby tears when I saw your job search announcement. It seemed like the perfect fit…until I remembered that I don’t live in New York. Hmph. Well, if you ever need a Nashville blogger….I’m your girl!

Happy Weekend!

Laurren

Erica Lavelanet/David Pena June 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Completely in love with this look!!! Love the maxi and the sandals…love it all!

xx
-Davie+Erica

@davieanderica
lpfashionphilosophy.com

sap June 19, 2011 at 5:11 am

lovely photos. i think maxi skirts are more sexy than mini skirts…
sap´s last blog ..How to clean silver jewelry and other silver productsMy ComLuv Profile

Jaclyn June 19, 2011 at 9:07 am

I love this whole look, it looks so relaxed and fun. Those sandals are adorable too, love that beading.
Jaclyn´s last blog ..Fancy fridayMy ComLuv Profile

Anika June 19, 2011 at 9:15 am

Wow sweetheart, this has to be my fave look of yours yet. So inspiring with the prints! You look beautiful, relaxed and lovely. Just shared on fb and twitter. Love, Anika
Anika´s last blog ..Sexy is a state of mindMy ComLuv Profile

Beautifully Invisible June 19, 2011 at 4:19 pm

That maxi skirt is beautiful. I love the pattern and the cut. It has just the right amount of flow to it. The outfit as a whole is just perfect for the summer - its relaxed and happy. Did I miss what type of purse that is? It looks quite fun but I didn’t see a mention in the post.

There is a new frozen yogurt place that opened up on the other side of town recently I am addicted to. I think this post just convinced me to take a trip this evening!
Beautifully Invisible´s last blog ..5 Things HBO’s True Blood Taught Me About Fashion & BeautyMy ComLuv Profile

Best of Palm Beach June 19, 2011 at 8:27 pm

The necklace is my fave….the sandals are super cute too!

Veronica
Best of Palm Beach´s last blog ..Vintage Find- Chloe French Lace RobeMy ComLuv Profile

For Those About To Shop June 20, 2011 at 10:22 am

I was in New York yesterday to see the McQueen exhibit and hear Aimee Mullins speak and I also enjoyed some frozen yogurt!! It was a beautiful day sunny day. The skirt is amazing and I love your hand accessories (rings).
For Those About To Shop´s last blog ..Catching Up- Madonna boy- swimsuits- aspirational fashionMy ComLuv Profile

Mary Jo June 20, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I love the look and how you’ve translated it for a petite body. Although I’m tall {and you’d think I’d want to embrace it} the thought of wearing so much fabric has been a bit off-putting…but the summer’s young-we’ll see!

xo Mary jo
Mary Jo´s last blog ..coffee date- thinking of charMy ComLuv Profile

Nikki | GoHomeMyDear Style Blog June 20, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Goodness, this outfit is beautiful :) you rock the tribal trend ^^ x
Nikki | GoHomeMyDear Style Blog´s last blog ..The Dog Days Are OverMy ComLuv Profile

Fashion Limbo June 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm

ohhh LOVE frozen yogurt, how could you possibly pose for all those pictures without eating it? it’s ideal for the hot weather, isn’t it? ok enough about the food, like the skirt… I think I had a very similar one like 10 years ago, the print was more grey and blue, but it was the same amount of fabric and cut. So funny how all these trends are coming back…I feel like a real fashion pro having sported these looks already once — also feel old (!!!) oh dear, now I really need some frozen yogurt ;)
Fashion Limbo´s last blog ..How To Save Money On The Sales – a personal strategyMy ComLuv Profile

Lady Moriarty June 20, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Hello !

I adore the print of this dress : terrific, you’re lovely. Love the glasses too

See U !
Lady Moriarty´s last blog ..InsidieusementMy ComLuv Profile

hongvan June 21, 2011 at 4:13 am

Oh love your pictures so much.It makes my eyes comfotable.Your shoes and skirt are very fashionable.
hongvan´s last blog ..The Importance of Business Surveillance SystemsMy ComLuv Profile

Fajr | Stylish Thought June 21, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I am living for your style lately. This skirt is perfection and the sandals are too cute.
Fajr | Stylish Thought´s last blog ..What I Wore- Bring on the SunshineMy ComLuv Profile

Megan June 21, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I luv the print on your maxi with the shoes! Such a cute outfit! Kudos!
Megan´s last blog ..A Beautiful LarkMy ComLuv Profile

Melissa June 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Cute outfit, but pinkberry is loaded with enough crap to kill a horse.

jennifer June 22, 2011 at 12:13 am

I just love all these pictures! The skirt has such a great print and its great that you found one you liked that was a good fit, size since not all trends look great on everyone so you have to work a bit to find what looks right on you and what you feel comfortable in. I love how all the different prints from your skirt, bag and shoes go perfectly together.
jennifer´s last blog ..SO MUCH TO DOMy ComLuv Profile

Ahu June 22, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Love the skirt but fall in love your shoes.They are amazing.

Love…
Ahu

Em June 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I love how you didn’t just stop at the tribal skirt. You added the shoes, bag, and necklace too, just adding to the tribal look. It’s awesome. And I love your top! It looks like you could wear it with just about everything. Oh, and I am really craving frozen yogurt now! Mm mm mmm! :)

xoxo