On the Streets: Minimalist Themes

by jennine on July 7, 2011

minimalist dress

Stylists like to layer… and I can see why, it adds depth to an outfit, gives eyes lots of things to look at. It makes sense. Layering for me has been more out of need, living in a city where the weather is unpredictable, it can be a challenge, however, in New York, weather is more constant. If it’s hot in the morning, it’s going to be hot in the afternoon.

Maybe it’s the weather (one of my biggest “inspirations” for outfits) or maybe it’s the 90′s kicking back in again, but I’ve really been feeling minimalist attire. The simpler, the better. Maybe just the perfect button down shirt with a pair of shorts, maybe a simple maxi dress with an unexpected shoe. Maybe it’s head to toe in solid colors… whatever it is, the clarity is refreshing. I’m really feeling it.

Photos by Nando Alvarez

• Posterous

Closet Cravings July 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I love when people can layer well without looking frumpy. The third look is my fave - I love her shirt and shoes. The perfect minimalist look to me is a perfect white tee or tank paired with denim shorts or jeans. Just a classic style that always looks great. Plus, there are so many ways to wear the look. =)
Closet Cravings´s last blog ..Olivia Wilde’s Strapless Sequin Ball GownMy ComLuv Profile

eat.sleep.wear. July 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm

LOVE this first snap! SO vibrant and lovely. xo, Kim http://www.eatsleepwear.com

blahblahbecky.co.uk July 7, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I love layering but I’m yet to master it (Michelle from Kingdom of Style really is the Queen!).

Love the last girl’s outfit in particular.
blahblahbecky.co.uk´s last blog ..Life isn’t a dress rehearsalMy ComLuv Profile

Megan July 7, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Loving all these outfits! That’s how I roll!
Megan´s last blog ..1940s Glamour WeddingMy ComLuv Profile

Liz July 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm

love the girl in the middle with the white maxi and black boots.

Shelby July 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I’ve been loving the minimalist look as well, I love how effortless it looks. I often feel overdressed if I wear a complicated outfit around the city.

-Shelby

Jessie at Fashion Limbo July 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I’m feeling the same Jennine, lately I’m all for minimalism, I want to make my closet more minimalist, as for years I was completely for the opposite, but now, strangely, I’m so attracted to simple, crisp and clean looks, I find myself loving especially the second one, with a statement white dress, statement as in simple and so stricking, love it.
Jessie at Fashion Limbo´s last blog ..Berlin Bread & Butter - my personal reportMy ComLuv Profile

free de lulu July 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm

different style very cool.love it

Kate July 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm

There is something so odd & striking about that first photo! And I LOVE the third outfit! Sometimes simple truly is best!
Kate´s last blog ..Shop My Closet!My ComLuv Profile

Kristen July 8, 2011 at 3:01 am

I’m going crazy over the first picture. The neon skirt, the glasses, the shoes.. Ahh, so much love!
x.
Kristen´s last blog ..Happy Friday!My ComLuv Profile

Suzanna July 8, 2011 at 7:37 am

Love minimalism, love the last girl’s outfit, but am not at all digging the owlish sunglasses. I may be fashion backwards or upside down, but they all remind me of bathing goggles from the 1930s.

Catherine July 8, 2011 at 12:00 pm