On the Streets: Hemline Pandemonium

by jennine on July 14, 2011

long summer maxi dress

This summer is all about the maxi dress. Wait, it’s about the mini… oh wait, midi? Are you confused? I’m confused, but I’m always confused so nothing’s new there. One thing is for certain though, this year anything goes in terms of hemline. Even in my own wardrobe, I can’t say how many minis, midis, maxis and even mullet dresses there are. But the truth is, it’s that way everywhere. Walking down the street you’ll see chic dresses in all lengths, and the huge bonus to that is whatever you get now may be hot down the road. Just think.. remember when they had one hemline, below the knee, mini etc? I had a million knee-length dresses then minis came out, all my dresses looked dated. Just like that. These days it’s not the case, do whatever you want, be happy to wear it and that’s the thing we’ll remember about your style.

Photos by Nando Alvarez

Megan July 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I was confused about this too! It took me a couple of internet searches to figure it all out! As always I love your pics! I miss NY!
Megan´s last [type] ..Turbans: My New Summer Must Have

Liz July 14, 2011 at 2:09 pm

love the first girl and her tattoos and hat, so cute. But yes, it seems nice to be in a time where A LOT of things are stylish- basically anything really, trends or no trends.
Liz´s last [type] ..How to Celebrate Bastille Day

Jessie at Fashion Limbo July 14, 2011 at 3:16 pm

ahhhh cuuute dachshund on the first picture!! and absolutely adore the colours on the last outfit, so vibrant! as usual Nando doing a stunning job. It is true that this season so many lengths are on trend, even though the midi has stormed through stores and fashion editorials, there is a lot of the mini and maxi on the streets. I’m actually celebrating each single length ;)
Jessie at Fashion Limbo´s last [type] ..How To Save Money On the Sales - the aftermath

Closet Cravings July 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I think it’s good to indulge in what’s trendy or popular, but I think it’s also good to dress in what makes you feel good. Fashion is about fun and it’s good to experiment with different looks. Summer is also the best time to break fashion rules and try new styles too. =)
Closet Cravings´s last [type] ..Style Sprinkles: Rose Cookies

Joy July 14, 2011 at 4:20 pm

These are so nice! It’ so true though, those really short, what do you call them, nano skirts are definitely kind of dated but otherwise minis, knee-lengths and maxis are all ripe for the picking.
Joy´s last [type] ..Orange is My New Favourite Colour

Swan July 14, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I want to see even more pandemonium!! : )
Swan´s last [type] ..Random & inexplicable celebration…

WendyB July 14, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Dude, I think the mullet is the most exciting thing right now — you have a particularly great example!
WendyB´s last [type] ..My Very Own “Never Is the Next New Thing™”: Toe Shoes

Monroe Steele July 14, 2011 at 8:55 pm

haha. i love them all..lovely photos

xoxo Monroe

Fashion Steele NYC
Monroe Steele´s last [type] ..Micky London

Labella Luxe July 16, 2011 at 12:17 am

Cute dresses, whether they’re mini or maxi!
Labella Luxe´s last [type] ..Coral Treasures Earrings

Andrea July 16, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I am thrilled that there is an “anything goes” attitude towards hemlines! I’ve been able to resurrect some styles from my closet that I haven’t worn for years. Of course, as mentioned above, it’s most important to wear what feels comfortable and is flattering vs. getting caught up in trends.
Andrea´s last [type] ..Today’s Don’t Miss Designer Sales - 7/16/11

annesaneries July 18, 2011 at 10:26 am

A lovely selection of great NY style, I miss walking around the city and being surrounded by inspiring looks. I love the last outfit, the colour and print is brash and bold… Very fun xx
annesaneries´s last [type] ..The Unicorn

annesaneries July 18, 2011 at 10:28 am

P.S… I hope the trashed plastic cup in the first pic was nothing to do with the fab maxi dress wearer! That would not be cool!
annesaneries´s last [type] ..The Unicorn

pink horrorshow July 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Ahh, that’s me in the last photo! I was wondering what the guy who snapped my picture was going to use it for :)
pink horrorshow´s last [type] ..Daytime sparkle

miss cavendish July 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Love the young woman’s clavicle calligraphy in the top photo!!

Karla July 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I love that!
I’ve always worn different hemlines and I’m really happy to see others enjoying the different lengths. There’s more of a variety and it’s much more inspiring.
Karla´s last [type] ..Casually Ladylike