Coveted Perfume: Fam by So Oud

by jennine on September 29, 2011

soOud Fam

I’ve been on the perfume hunt forever… and ever it seems.  Most perfumes give me a headache, they make me sneeze, my skin crawl, scalp tingle. But from a distance the notion of a woman who smells pretty is a very appealing one.  Over the years I’ve been looking at boutique perfumes, as they tend to use higher quality ingredients and made in smaller batches. You won’t have someone saying to you, “Hey, are you wearing Old Spice?” Not that I would wear Old Spice, I dunno, it’s been a while.

When I was in London, I wanted to get something special, something that I wouldn’t find in the US… clothing seemed like the obvious choice, but while exploring the alleyways of Central London, I happened upon Avery, a perfumery with just a small collection of scents. The sales assistant, Asakala, helped walk me through the scents they had, the one catching my eye (nose?) was Fam by soOud. It’s a floral perfume with notes of chili, saffron, and oud wood giving it kick that I’ve never experienced with my nose, it had what they call… depth? Yet it is distinctly powdery fresh. It felt that it represented the complexity of my own nature, soft with a bite? It was then, I knew I had to have it.

Now I have to say, I’m hooked on unusual perfumes, that they have more depth than just smelling nice for that moment. What perfume do you wear, and what was it that made  you get it?

Beautifully Invisible September 29, 2011 at 11:58 am

This sounds lovely. I love the idea of chili, saffron and oud wood notes in a scent. And the bottle is lovely as well - added bonus!

It’s funny that you just did this post - I just did one of my own yesterday about FINALLY finding my signature scent - Tom Ford Violet Blonde. Typically I am not a huge violet fan, but there is just something about this one that speaks to me!
Beautifully Invisible´s last [type] ..TOM FORD Violet Blonde: Perfection in a Bottle

jennine September 29, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Oh wow! I heard that was a great scent! Now Smell This had a lot of great things to say about Tom Ford’s perfumes in general… but yes, violet is an amazing scent, I read that Josephine, Napoleon’s wife, wore it because it was at the edge of our olfactory senses, that it’s so intense it overloads our noses, so we can’t smell it, then POW there it is. very flirtatious.

Kamicha September 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I really want to test that, sounds absolutely gorgeous! I have been interested in niche perfumes for a while now, definitely more individual and complex choices out there. And… …I have the same issues with many perfumes…

My current favorites are Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, incredibly lasting spicy amber scent, warm and comforting, stays close to skin. And my relatively recent find, Comme des Garçons Incense Avignon. I entered to a space where salesperson had just misted it to the air - and I was instantly 100% sold… …wrote about it here: http://thedoorinmywardrobe.com/2011/05/girls-who-smell-like-old-churches/
Kamicha´s last [type] ..That shoulder… …thing…

Amanda September 29, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Holy cupcakes it sounds lavish!

Joy September 29, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I am still having a hard time finding a good scent. Hopefully I will get the find of my life soon! This perfume sounds (and probably smells) amazing!
Joy´s last [type] ..Living the Lo-Fi Life

Debbi@SheAccessorizesWell September 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I wish I could wear perfume. I have asthma that is very, very sensitive to smells. The perfume you found sounds like it might be one I could tolerate. It does sound amazing. Chili what a unique ingredient in a perfume.
Debbi@SheAccessorizesWell´s last [type] ..Another animal print - fyi on difference in cheetah and leopard

annebeth September 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm

ah yes I’m a difficult one with perfumes too: most give me headaches. I have worn anais anais, lolita lempicka and flowerbomb in the past and flowerbomb is my favorite: sweet and full without being so heavy it makes your head hurt, and it ends up smelling like cookies!
annebeth´s last [type] ..Chocolate Palace with Camille

Lisa September 29, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Ah. Rose Oudh, by Kilian. Made my head spin but want to smell more. No dizziness, no chemicals, delicious.

Sylvia @ 40PlusStyle September 30, 2011 at 9:02 am

You would get his scent just for the beauty of that bottle….
Sylvia @ 40PlusStyle´s last [type] ..Understanding the different styles

For Those About To Shop September 30, 2011 at 9:55 am

You have such beautiful pictures on your site. This one is stunning as well.
For Those About To Shop´s last [type] ..Chariots of Fire stunning costume design

Emily Ulrich October 1, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Sounds like a delicate, wonderful scent to embody. Glad you found it!

urbanjunglefashion October 1, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Is there anyway to get that in the states? I’m on the search myself to find a DIFFERENT perfume. I love scents that a slightly masculine, but for women.
urbanjunglefashion´s last [type] ..Sienna Miller, Burberry Prorsum Show, London Fashion Week 2011

Hind October 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I always had ONE love - Chanel N5. Not the most confidential scent on east for sure bout definitely one that I love and been using for years: I love the smell on my skin, the amber colour, the bottle shape,…I love it so much I could write a poem about it. Oh wait I did :) a Couple of weeks ago I dedicated a post to my love affair with this scent ;)

E. October 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Just discovered your blog and I’m already hooked! I’m really sensitive when it comes to perfume too. I get the most splitting headaches if the ingredients aren’t natural. I wear Neroli Portofino and Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford. They are criminally expensive I think, but they really suit me.

x E.

creativefashionglee October 3, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I love perfumes that lingers in a very sweet way but not overwhelming. Like you, I too don´t like perfumes that gives me headaches. To be able to find a scent that defines you is every woman´s dream. :)
creativefashionglee´s last [type] ..How to Wear Cropped Pants/Capris for Women – 3 Celebrity Inspired Looks for Less

Stacey Lauren October 3, 2011 at 7:28 pm

My perfume obsession is called “Aqua Woman”, discontinued and impossible to find! I’ll have to try this one, thanks!
Stacey Lauren´s last [type] ..The Sweetest, Cutest, Simplest Pet You Will Ever Have

Sheryl @ Women's health blog October 4, 2011 at 2:36 am

I use Bvgalri omnia, because my husband love that smell and I use it everyday before I’m going to work. Thank for sharing :-)
Sheryl @ Women’s health blog´s last [type] ..Insights on cellulite

yaniv October 4, 2011 at 8:51 am

Again and again, I see you have a very special taste, perfume with notes of chili, saffron, and oud wood , always a pleasure to visit your blog. :-)
yaniv´s last [type] ..How to keep your camping safety

OliveYewJewels October 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I love this story. How much was the perfume? I love to wear stuff from the Clean collection…I just like clean smells. I always mix them with something a little sweet-so I don’t smell like a dryer sheet! Ha!
OliveYewJewels´s last [type] ..Long bar silver necklace - Simple sleek adjustable jewelry

Alex October 6, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I bought “Winter 1972″ by CB I Hate Perfume a couple of years ago and it’s still my favorite. It smells like soil and snow with a lovely touch of elegance. It’s unusual, but not in a Demeter Fragrance Library kind of way*. It’s much more complex and actually quite sexy. Christopher Brosius (CB) has a little perfume gallery in Williamsburg: http://www.cbihateperfume.com/gallery.html

* However, I really like their sugary and girly “Sex On The Beach”.
Alex´s last [type] ..ourpresidents:

Over the course of 17 days in 1975, two…

Shophopper October 9, 2011 at 6:43 am

I’m visiting London in the december and I’m definitely putting that store on my to do-list. I love discovering perfumes, and I know none of the brands listed. My current favorites are a few Annick Goutals, Blanche by Byredo and Diorissimo - a smell so beautiful I don’t even care it’s mass-marketed.
Shophopper´s last [type] ..The Julie Andrews Connection

Shelvin October 11, 2011 at 6:19 am

Sounds absolutely gorgeous! I have been interested in niche perfumes for a while now, my current favorites are Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, incredibly lasting spicy amber scent, warm and comforting, stays close to skin.
Shelvin´s last [type] ..Health and Fitness Facts