Red Pants: Trend or Investment?

by jennine on October 18, 2011

Once I said in 1998… “Leopard print is so 1997.” I’ve said similar things about camouflage, army green, platform shoes, one shoulder dresses, grey…. and to my knowledge most of those things have hung around. Red pants came on the scene last year. They were just right, adding a “pop of color” to an otherwise drab winter wardrobe. I don’t know about you, but come January, my wardrobe often gets sucked into a black abyss, which only adds to the SAD.

Lately, I’ve been making a commitment to not only getting a pair of boots for the new season, but also an investment trouser. Last year, I got a brown tweed pair by Theory, that just looks so nice no matter what. This season, I initially started with a pair of J Crew wool trousers, but they got destroyed — torn and bloodied — when I tumbled down marble stairs just outside the Burberry SS12 show. Talk about grace!

To replace them, I invested in a nicer pair of Alice + Olivia red wool trousers. I have to say, the beautifully rich color will boost any day. The fit is snug, comfortable and classic. According to my husband it even enhances my derriere! (Is that too much information?) Anywho… it may be strange to say this, but as far as investing in such a trendy piece, it really depends on how much you’ll like wearing it. I bought a leather midi skirt last month, and so far, I’ve been wearing it a few times a week. Because of the quality, it holds up quite well and it’s worth it. As far as red pants go… I have a pair of bright green jeans that I wear almost weekly. Colorful britches work easily with the tops in my wardrobe so it’s almost a no brainer.

As for the red pants trend lasting another season? It may or it may not but as much as I love red, and I love pants… these ones are a keeper.

Oh, and here is my nail shot for the week: Sally Hansen Nail Effects: Fishnet

Wearing: Pants: Alice + Olivia • Scarf: H&M  • Jacket: Topshop  • Blouse: CoS • Glasses: Prada (gift) • Shoes: Rachel Comey Bag: Coach (gift)

Photos by Nando Alvarez

Ashe October 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I’m always a believer that it’s really up to your own personal style…. for me, red pants are kind of a staple. I can think of several pairs I’ve had through the years (and I have a pair of rust trousers en route to me!). Other ladies may find them a trend, but I think they’re always going to hang around in my closet… (Love that first photo, pretty!)
Ashe´s last [type] ..What I Wore: D&D Sundays and Stomach Flus

Pam @over50feeling40 October 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Love your icing…the shoes, the scarf, the nails. I could be so wrong, but I look at red pants as more of a trend!!
Pam @over50feeling40´s last [type] ..Favorite Autumn Colors: #2 Red and Brown Combo

Hilla Hryniszyn October 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm

red…definetely color of confidence:) but i love it !

Sweet Harvest Moon October 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I think red pants are an investment! It’s always good to have a pop of color in an outfit no matter what season!
And it looks really great on you too!
Sweet Harvest Moon´s last [type] ..A crisp autumn morning

Lindsay October 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I think I’ll stick to classic.

Aly October 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Love the red pants! I’m having the hardest time finding a great pair of red pants for myself, being a curvy lady. Though I love the ones you have on, they’re perfect. Also love the Sally Hansen nail decals, I just found the cutest pair at Duane Reade that are like a fair aisle sweater!

-Aly @ therosealley.blogspot.com
Aly´s last [type] ..My Inner Superhero Has a Southern Accent

lisa October 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Red’s what I like to call a non-neutral neutral: it’s super bright and colourful but surprisingly versatile and goes well with pretty much everything. I’d love a pair of red trousers (maybe Milly?), but I haven’t been looking for a pair very seriously.
lisa´s last [type] ..A Chat with Jeanne Beker

GawgusThings October 18, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I think you may have just converted me to red trousers!!
GawgusThings´s last [type] ..5 for under £25 - Pussy Bow Blouses

THE-LOUDMOUTH October 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm

You look straight-up glamorous in the sunnies, scarf & nails! Very cool. And the red pants are absolutely fabulous! I think if you truly love something, you should keep wearing it… no matter what the trends say. :)
THE-LOUDMOUTH´s last [type] ..Etsy Wishlist :: Brilliant Baubles

TheShoeGirl October 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm

You look beautiful as always <3

blahblahbecky.co.uk October 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I think this is my favourite outfit of yours yet!

They are indeed gorgeous trousers, and I love your scarf.

p.s. I hope you were ok after your fall!
blahblahbecky.co.uk´s last [type] ..Review: Charles Worthington Salon at Home Straight & Smooth

Nancy October 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’m still thinking about your green pants/jeans and now red??? I can’t keep up. I feel that all trends come back so why not have a red pair of pants.
Nancy´s last [type] ..Weekend To-Do’s and Shopping Finds

vancouverista October 18, 2011 at 2:32 pm

oh god so timely for me! I have been hemming and hawing over a pair of skinny dark red cords and just couldn’t decide if I should get them or not - then I see this post pop up in my reader. You’re a mindr eader!

SACRAMENTO October 18, 2011 at 2:36 pm

You look very good in red, and I see you venturing open hearted into the world of colour, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
SACRAMENTO´s last [type] ..Battle Reenactment- Bailén 1808

Joy October 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm

You just got to bring it back! It’s gorgeous.
Joy´s last [type] ..Preppy: A Review

Jill October 18, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I think that anything can be a keeper if it suits your own personal style. Animal print is one of my favorite accents, so for me it’s always in season. Red pants are not…so I wouldn’t buy them even to wear during their “peak” trendy time. Gray is…so I wear gray even when it is not the “in” color…and so on. I’m a firm believer in buying what you love / what suits your body, regardless of whether fashion dictates “in” or “out”. To me, that’s the essence of personal style.

BTW - YOUR red pants look great on you!! :)

Ches Hinojosa October 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I once had these really horrible red pants (not denim) when I was 14 - I loved them.

I have been jonesing for some red denim and can finally do it without looking funny! Definitely not an investment - I don’t think. But I WANT!
Ches Hinojosa´s last [type] ..Creating Art with Instagram

Collette Osuna October 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I think they are a total investment Jennine…and I soooo love them…they really look like they will last through MANY seasons…cute little booties too…..your pics are fabulous as always…you are gorgeous!!!

jenn~the stylish housewife October 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm

you look adorable. i bought a pair of red skinnies a few months ago and have yet to wear them. i really want to but just keep forgetting i have them! i hope they are a trend that sticks around so i can finally wear them!
jenn~the stylish housewife´s last [type] ..ootd: mars attacks

Katy October 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm

How do you get your hair to look like this? It looks amazing! Love the jacket and boots, too.
Katy´s last [type] ..Mixed Neutrals

tress October 19, 2011 at 3:51 am

wholeslae tresor paris
Wholesale Tresor Paris jewellery offers bracelets,necklaces and packings-Tresor Paris
jewellery all by hand-made with a variety of precious gemstones crystals magnetite balls
and fabrics”

Jennefer October 19, 2011 at 4:20 am

I wanna say that:I love it!I just like all of the colourful things!

Shelley October 19, 2011 at 10:41 am

Love the cuffs on the pants; I think because of the cut they will be a staple in your wardrobe. As a previous poster mentioned, red is kind of a ‘non-neutral neutral” because it pairs so well with grey, navy, black, brown, etc. I tend to wear red close to my face because I’m so pale, it warms me up.
Shelley´s last [type] ..Power of the Print

Sylvia @ 40PlusStyle October 19, 2011 at 11:06 am

Lovely! I’m looking for some red pants myself. Will buy them in a classic model, so hopefully that will make them last. Lovely nails again!
Sylvia @ 40PlusStyle´s last [type] ..What to buy: Some little black dress ideas

Kaitlyn October 19, 2011 at 11:38 am

I completely agree that red pants are a staple for a wardrobe! I’ve already added them to my Christmas list! I think they are a great piece of clothing that can spice up any look, especially in the dead of winter.
Kaitlyn´s last [type] ..With Halloween just around the corner, you may be looking for something that wil…

judith October 22, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Wery nice red pant. I like red clothes
judith´s last [type] ..medium bob hairstyles

Nicole S October 24, 2011 at 8:41 pm

This outfit, it looks so comfy but yet it is chic. I just got a pair of red jeans that I am dying to try with everything in my closet.
Nicole S´s last [type] ..Talk About the Things We Try

jennifer October 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Absolutely love the red! It’s a trend, a must have & keeper.You look stunning in these pictures, it’s very new york, chic & inspiring..My favorite outfit post of all.

Charles October 28, 2011 at 10:59 pm

When I see red pants it reminds me of all the 80′s trends high school kids wear around the East Village area.

But on you it looks very stylish with your ensemble. Looking very vogue!
Charles´s last [type] ..online sample sales