Tomboy

by jennine on December 20, 2011

tomboy

I always hated the tomboy/girly girl archetypes, as I’ve always gone between the two, even as an adult. It’s great both ways. Last week I was feeling very girly, this week, I’m feeling more tomboyish wearing pants and button up, menswear inspired color palettes, and tweed galore. I’ve even been eyeing the menswear stores like Steven Allan and Dunderdon thinking about how I would dress, the shops are quiet, well-curated and have a distinctive experience. Then again, menswear is going through a resurgence, and I’m certainly keeping a coveted eye on it.

Anyway, lately it’s been about integrating more menswear inspired looks to my regular wardrobe routine, it’s a lot of fun (and comfortable) especially when a few feminine pieces are woven in. That makes it a bit less costumey.. and more real.

Wearing: Jacket: Topshop • Sweater: JCrew • Blouse: Equipment • Hat: Eugenia Kim • Pants: Theory • Shoes: Rachel Comey
Photos by Taylor Davies

Joy December 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I love the mesh of womenswear x menswear! You look really good here.
Joy´s last [type] ..Not Schlubbin’ It

Collette Osuna December 20, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Im all about menswear, no matter what the season. Its a cool look, and is usually really comfy too.

Great look on you Jennine….biker girl chic:)

Tina Tang December 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I love this look. You look cute enough to eat.

www.blahblahbecky.co.uk December 20, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I love menswear but I completely agree that women can flit from girly to androgynous - I do too and why should we have to choose?!

You look great by the way, as always! :)

jennine December 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm

i hope we never have to choose!

aline December 20, 2011 at 3:09 pm

that jacket is insanely fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!
aline´s last [type] ..Outfit: Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales

CwR December 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm

ARRRRGHHH Are you in our neighborhood, Tribeca?!!! Cool Outfit! so fun!

xoxo

jennine December 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm

close! nolita/soho! :)

erica p. December 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I agree - the jacket is fab. I’m on the hunt for a great (and affordable) motorcycle jacket myself!

BeLighter December 20, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Love the look! That’s been my favourite look also lately!
That leather jacket is fantastic!
BeLighter´s last [type] ..On The Street – Tote Bag Duo

Pam @over50feeling40 December 20, 2011 at 4:01 pm

That’s the cutest tomboy look I have seen…you model it well! Great job!
Pam @over50feeling40´s last [type] ..Christmas Color Rock: The San Antonio Way!

rachael December 20, 2011 at 6:41 pm

those boots again! drool-worthy. and layers galore!
rachael´s last [type] ..christmas grab bag

Urban Jungle Fashion December 21, 2011 at 12:30 am

Love the photography! It seems like everyone is doing OOTD post in front of graffiti lately. I’m praying the love of Street Art starts making a huge resurgence soon.

I did a 2011 Holiday Dress series with my exchange student in front of a graffiti’d wall in Dallas. You should check it out if you get the time: http://urbanjunglefashion.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/2011-holiday-dress-guide-express-red-strapless-bubble-dress-photography/
Urban Jungle Fashion´s last [type] ..Wednesday Links + Christmas Break

Jac December 21, 2011 at 3:10 am

That’s a great jacket. Love the whole look.
Jac´s last [type] ..DIY Gift: Tiger Bike Helmet

Jessie in Fashion Limbo December 21, 2011 at 7:17 am

I love this outfit Jennine, suits you down to the ground, and the leather jacket adds an edgy twist to the boyish theme. Like it a lot :)
Jessie in Fashion Limbo´s last [type] ..Window Shopping - The “almost Christmas” edition

For Those About To Shop December 21, 2011 at 10:39 am

I think you are effortlessly feminine - love that biker jacket, it’s one item that never dates, isn’t it?
For Those About To Shop´s last [type] ..Last chance to grab a coveted Karina dress for less

Jennifer December 21, 2011 at 11:03 am

Amazing is all I have to say tomboy or no tomboy! I believe as women we have the ability to make even the most masculine attire come off feminine and our own.
Jennifer´s last [type] ..TOO MATCHY MATCHY ?

Sweet Harvest Moon December 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Love this look! The boots are AMAZING!
Sweet Harvest Moon´s last [type] ..12 days of Christmas

charles December 21, 2011 at 6:11 pm

completely adorable. I love your hat! have a very merry holiday :) xx

Elise December 21, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Totally know what you mean, I’m forever mixing menswear and even random kidswear into my wardrobe, makes for a cool combination, as you’ve shown :)
Elise´s last [type] ..Actual Christmas Movie Saturday

Swan December 23, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Oh. Favourite! Those boots make me want to spend money. Grrrr. I feel the same way about the archetypes. I love them both but I don’t feel like making a big deal out of it. They’re just both nice! Though since I rarely wear dresses, when I do, I sort of feel like I am in drag. I have to wear them more. X to you. Have sweet holidays :)
Swan´s last [type] ..My little tribute to white capes, double denim, nuns, virgins and iPhones everywhere.

Aline C December 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I also find the archetype annoying! I dress according to my mood, which sometimes is very feminine and sometimes more boyish. I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels this way :D
Adore the leather jacket with the cute christmas sweater!
Aline C´s last [type] ..Happy Holidays!!

Lizzie December 28, 2011 at 5:44 am

I sm so glad i stumbled across this blog :) I love love love this outfit. I have the same top shop jacket and I am definitely going to be wearing a little jumper underneath it. The Chelsea boots are really cute too but I prefer to be more dressed down so i’ll stick to my little red
Converse

style-delights December 28, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Button down and leather jacket! super cool!
style-delights´s last [type] ..Star Style For Less - Cozy Pippa!

Homme a' la mode December 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm

cute look, i love that jacket and the shoes!
Homme a’ la mode´s last [type] ..IN A FLASH: THE 11 MOST MEMORABLE MOMENTS OF 2011

Beautifully Invisible December 29, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I love the tomboy look… and I especially love your take on it here. That hat and sweater are perfect… they compliment the look while also giving it just a hint of softness. Love!
Beautifully Invisible´s last [type] ..A Special Giveaway: Win My TOM FORD Beauty Favorites!

The Blossom Shed Beauty Blog December 30, 2011 at 10:10 am

Fantastic jacket, and I love the sweater too:) Oh WHY am I allergic to wool?!!
The Blossom Shed Beauty Blog´s last [type] ..On the Fifth Day of Christmas……

GRIT & GLAMOUR December 30, 2011 at 11:27 am

I do associate you with especially feminine looks, and I love that about you! But you look great in a tomboyish ensemble too! The hat is great on you, too!

Happy New Year, and all the best to you in 2012, Jennine!
GRIT & GLAMOUR´s last [type] ..WVW: Holiday Uniform*

Tristan | wearabl December 30, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Totally diggin’ the laid back style!

Hope the new year brings continued success!

Tommy January 1, 2012 at 10:28 am

Happy new year. I have always loved your blog.
Hope last night celebration was good.

//Tommy
(from: http://agnoslibertine.blogspot.com)
Tommy´s last [type] ..Welcome to the best blog in the world!