Blonde Ambition

by jennine on April 16, 2012

the coveted blonde

I’ll tell you a not-so secret secret… I’ve always thought I had a blonde personality, but alas most of my life I thought I would look horrible as a blonde. With my olive skin and dark eyes, it didn’t seem the most logical hair color to go with, being blonde was something of a dream, albeit a dream somewhere after being a size zero and having a dishwasher in my apartment. Yep, I dream big. Lately, I’ve been seeing all kinds of people going blonde, from Beyonce to Rhianna, to Mary J Blige, Jessica Alba, Nicole Ritchie,  the late Brittney Murphy, being blonde no longer implies you were born that way, so no one expects all blondes to have fair skin and light eyes.

I made the decision sometime after experimenting with the ombre, a look most brunettes can pull off, I wondered if I could go all the way. Luckily my colorist, Marissa at Pimps and Pinups was optimistic, even though many people told me to stick with brunette. And she did a dark blonde, more of a honey color, not so far from the ombre. It was a big shock at first, but I’ve come to really love it.

A lot of people have asked me if “blondes have more fun?” The answer to that is, I don’t know, I’m having the same amount of fun. But it is fun trying new looks.

Have you ever gone through a dramatic color change with your hair? Did you stay with it?

Above, wearing a necklace from my grandmother and a squirrel Wendy Brandes necklace.

Wearing: Denim Shirt : Madewell • Skirt: American Apparel • Bag: Pendleton • Shoes: Pierre Hardy

Photos by Crissie Fuller

Natasha Fatah April 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Oh wow.
You look great!

xoxo

Natasha Fatah April 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Oh wow.
You look great!

xoxo

Pam@over50feeling40 April 16, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I love your hair…it looks like you were born this way! Very natural!!

nancy @ adore to adorn April 16, 2012 at 4:14 pm

what a fun new look! that’s such a bold change but you look great! =)
nancy @ adore to adorn´s last [type] ..Casual Cool

Rachael April 16, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I like your haircolor! Way to be daring! We girls aren’t always logical with our haircolor decisions. I color mine red, even though it’s the color that fades the quickest and I can’t afford the upkeep it really needs.

a fashionable life for me April 16, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I think it suits you! I’ve had a load of colours over the years from bleached blonde to pink to red to (accidentally) grey and black. I’m naturally mousey but have been brown for years now. I will stay brown forever! I just know its the colour for me after years of trying!
a fashionable life for me´s last [type] ..weekend fun.

Closet Cravings April 16, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Your hair looks cute. =)
Satisfy Your Cravings For Celebrity Style and All Things Stylish and Sweet
Closet Cravings´s last [type] ..Blake Lively’s Blue and White Sparkle Striped Cashmere Sweater

Katy @ Sugar and Chiffon April 16, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I love your new haircolor! I actually think the blonde complements your skintone BETTER than the darker hair. And your colorist did an excellent job- if I didn’t know better, I’d think you were born a blonde. It looks amazing!

joy April 16, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Fun! I’ve never changed hair color before!
joy´s last [type] ..Another Weekend in Boston

Courtney April 16, 2012 at 8:00 pm

The blonde looks striking on you! I am actually a natural blonde but a dark eyed, dark roots, dark eyebrows one and it always made me feel super awkward and sort of unnatural looking so I started dyeing my hair dark and red when I was a teenager. But I often think about going back to my roots!

Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com
Courtney´s last [type] ..Weekend Wear

E. April 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I love that squirrel necklace!

MizzJ April 17, 2012 at 1:02 am

Kudos to you for taking the plunge on this one! You look SO different, but not in a bad way!

Hershey April 17, 2012 at 8:48 am

Hi! I love your look! We’re the same, I also have a blonde dream. But since I do not have a flair complexion, I don’t think it would fit me. What color do you think would fit a dark colored woman?

Thanks for this!

-Hershey
Hershey´s last [type] ..how to seduce a woman

Mary Smith April 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Oh I love the shoes because of its colors. And the necklace?! Oh how I love it too! They’re adorable. I believe women should try new look for themselves once in a while. But let me ask you this, have you tried on something you’re not really comfortable with just because it’s fashionable and lots of people say that it looks good on you?

I enjoyed your fashion post. Til the next one!

Love,
Mary
Mary Smith´s last [type] ..how to pick up girls

Danielle April 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm

lovely ensemble!

Check out Thoughts of a Fashion Junkiiee- a site dedicated to supporting indie designers and small fashion/beauty related businesses and blogs : http://www.fashionjunkiiee.wordpress.com | Style Photos: http://www.fash1onjunkiiee.tumblr.com | @fash1onjunkiiee | feed your addiction.

For Those About To Shop April 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I did a lot of highlights in the past which rendered me almost blonde. I noticed I got a lot more catcalls! Men are more aggressive with blonds - I notice that when I am with blonde friends.
For Those About To Shop´s last [type] ..My Body Gallery uses ‘real’ women to increase self-esteem

jennine April 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm

oh my! yeah, i don’t notice the blonde/brunette attention difference is as great as the straight/curly when i wear my hair curly whether it’s dark or not, dudes tend to hold doors open more often. which is kind of weird.
jennine´s last [type] ..Blonde Ambition

Angela April 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Love the new hair color AND necklace!
Angela´s last [type] ..Little gold clover bracelet - brushed gold quatrefoil bracelet - simple petite gold bracelet - Mothers Day Sale by OliveYewJewels

ilexica April 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

That looks really fantastic. I actually think it suits you better.
ilexica´s last [type] ..ulta3 Molten Metallics - Cocoa

Erica @ STYLE SAVVY CHIC April 20, 2012 at 2:49 am

That’s the wonderful thing about beauty - you can try so many options and have lots of fun along the way! You look wonderful and I am sure you will fine the particular shade of blonde that will have your name written all over it.

STYLE SAVVY CHIC
Erica @ STYLE SAVVY CHIC´s last [type] ..CELINE TRIBUTE

Cammila April 20, 2012 at 11:57 am

At the risk of simply stating the obvious, the color absolutely suits you. I don’t know if blondes have more fun, but effervescent people have more fun, for sure — and are often unafraid to try new things with their hair. ;)
Cammila´s last [type] ..More blasts from the past.

Becca April 21, 2012 at 9:59 am

Love the brightness of the new hair color! Perfect for warmer weather! I would love to know what you think about the sizing of that loooovely leather jacket you wore in the previous White Jeans Post. Are you wearing Petite size or Regular? I’m on the verge of ordering it, but being 5’4″ I don’t want the sleeves to be too long which is often an issue…thanks!

Erica Fox April 21, 2012 at 11:29 am

you are the cutest!! i love the blonde! I just became a redhead..and although it is incredibly high maintenance, it is so FUN!